585,758 active members*
4,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > TTS tool mount post from Tosa Tool
Page 1 of 2 12

TTS tool mount post from Tosa Tool

Anybody get a look at this new tool post from Tosa Tool? Looks pretty interesting. TTS
    This would solve issues for me, the 2 wrench system has given me trouble for a long time. I like to be able to see my tooling while tightening my tools. It holds all ER collet holders and it has a 3/4 diameter grip for holding everything else while adjusting it. Price is a little high but I ordered one anyway. I cant wait to mount it to my bench, I change my tools alot!

Please share your thoughts and impressions.

Thanks, Dylan
    Tormach Newbie

Re: TTS tool mount post from Tosa Tool

It looks interesting, but $245.00? Give me a break.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Costing Break Down:
    Top pc: $45
    Mid pc: $30
    Bottom Pc: $24
    Stainless Handle: $26
    Misc Hardware: $10
    Design and blueprints = 30 hrs
    Sourcing = 10 hrs
    Financing $4k in components = $500
    Marketing, advertising, customer service

If I were going to sell millions of them it would be different, maybe I will sell 50, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tosatool1 View Post
    Right, before I ordered I talked to Dan at Tosa Tool, he was very honest with me and broke it down, he stated each of the 3 pieces in the assembly were around $30 (all are made from 4140ph and hot black oxide for durability), the stainless handle is purchased from mcmaster $26 and its about $10 in misc hardware in each one. So he has over $150 into each one, many hours into design and sourcing the parts before he has even sold the first one. And he is financing all of it, guy deserves something.....
    But I thought you were Dan from Tosa Tool. I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    It looks interesting, but $245.00? Give me a break.
    "You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS." - Steve Seebold

Attachment 337522

I cant wait to get the first one, So tired of the 2 wrench thing and the holders rolling around on the bench... finding the wrenches and allen wrenches. Other people must be experiencing the same.

Tormach offers P/N 33034 Compact TTS Tool Tightening Fixture that does the same thing but there's no place to store tour wrenches, but it's only $32.48.

I have 2 of these and they do what I need them to do.

Call me a cheap SOB if you want. Whatever.

oh yeah, I had one of those. I broke the bearings. Dont like it when my end mills slip. It doesnt have the 3/4 gripper either. If 33034 had better bearings and not made from 6061 AL it might be different. Mine IS a cadillac, I am not saying it isnt. After over 10 years struggling with the TTS I wanted the solution, I figured maybe others felt the same.

Have you seen the new cadillac keyboards I offer for the PCNC control?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CvmxAtZUkAABkwA.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	337524

oh yeah, I had one of those. I broke the bearings. Dont like it when my end mills slip. It doesnt have the 3/4 gripper either. If 33034 had better bearings and not made from 6061 AL it might be different. Mine IS a cadillac, I am not saying it isnt. After over 10 years struggling with the TTS I wanted the solution, I figured maybe others felt the same.

Have you seen the new cadillac keyboards I offer for the PCNC control?

Name:	CvmxAtZUkAABkwA.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	337524
    There's no question yours is a nice tool. What really shocked me was the $245.00 price tag. If I offended you, I do sincerely apologize.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCDylan84 View Post
    Anybody get a look at this new tool post from Tosa Tool? Looks pretty interesting. TTS
    This would solve issues for me, the 2 wrench system has given me trouble for a long time. I like to be able to see my tooling while tightening my tools. It holds all ER collet holders and it has a 3/4 diameter grip for holding everything else while adjusting it. Price is a little high but I ordered one anyway. I cant wait to mount it to my bench, I change my tools alot!

Please share your thoughts and impressions.

Thanks, Dylan
    Tormach Newbie
    If you "change your tools alot" I can't help thinking that your money would have been better invested in additional tool holders! I never understood the need for the Tormach Compact TTS Tightening fixture and certainly not a fixture for $250 when I have no trouble at all using the 2 wrenches I already own. it appears that quite a few of you are having difficulties so perhaps I should post a video of how I do it - its really very simple.

...So tired of the 2 wrench thing and the holders rolling around on the bench... [...] Other people must be experiencing the same.
    I'd also be interested to see videos of people struggling because I honestly can't imagine what you're doing
    As I don't own either of these fixtures I can only speak from my experience of the 2 wrench system, but I always hold the tool holder horizontally when inserting the end mill and setting the length. I don't really need to point out that the end mill has a tendency to fall through the holder if the collet becomes loose while adjusting. It would appear that the TOSA fixture holds the tool holders vertically, therefore making it perhaps slightly more difficult to use. As for loosing wrenches, well I'm not the tidiest person but a little organization in the workshop pays back dividends.
    As for the price, it doesn't look overly priced for what it is. Would I pay for it - no! I don't need a Cadillac to tighten a nut.
    Also be aware that overtightening a collet holder will usually just increase runout. There's no need to go crazy on the wrench, the collets clamp very efficiently - bear in mind that the PCNC1100 (for example) is only a 1.5HP machine!
    Step

I am sure Dylan will appreciate your advise. The reason I designed this like this is because I have spent 30 years setting up tools in 40 and 50 taper holders. 90% of the tool posts I have used hold the tool vertically, allowing me to peer down into the holder to see if it needs cleaning, or blowing out and having gravity on my side for getting it back together again. I have howled at Tormach for years that they should have designed the holders with simple flats on the 1.5" diameter allowing the holders to be universally indexed in a mounting device. All fell on deaf ears. This tool post allows me to have what I like and need, I apologize the pricing is high, if I had more demand the price would go down because I would be buying larger lots of parts.

I like rugged / "Cadillac" type solutions. Give me stuff that WORKS, and takes a beating, with all the options.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Tormach offers P/N 33034 Compact TTS Tool Tightening Fixture that does the same thing but there's no place to store tour wrenches, but it's only $32.48.

I have 2 of these and they do what I need them to do.

Call me a cheap SOB if you want. Whatever.
    Yeeeaahhh. Big +1 on this.
    It's not rocket science guys, and you have a CNC mill, and CAD, and CAM....just go make one.
    And does anyone really need the 3/4" gripper, for set-screw holders I presume? Works well for me just holding those in my hand, as tightening with an Allen key doesnlt generate any opposing forces on my grip. Collet holders are different.

Material: $10
    Design & Blueprints: 30 mins
    Sourcing: 2 minutes in the scrap box
    Sorry....

I gotta admit, I like this design. To be honest I have half a dozen just like it lying around my shop. I made soft jaws for one of my bench vises, I made special wrenches, I put flats on some of my holders for awhile I was so tired of it. What I really wanted is the same tool post I used for like 10 years with cat 40 holders. Business end up, and secure enough I can tighten it down easy. The 3/4 opening that snugs was a bonus. Everyone will use what they want to of course. These will be on my site if anyone wants one. Its what I wish I had when I am setting up many jobs everyday at the Tormach. If I can I will drop the pricing so that more guys can see their way to buying one.

Yeah i just made mine too from scrap material laying around the shop

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	337560

Here is the CAD model pic

I mentioned in another thread somewhere that I use a 5c spin indexer with a 3/4 collet dedicated for holding tts tool holders while I change a drill bit, er collets or what ever I need to do. I dont have the best hands because of RA and found a $75 dollar spin indexer mounted to work bench works great. It holds tools and frees my hands to do whatever and no risk of dropping holders or end mills and drill bits or damaging my delicate fingers . And it puts to use a tool I purchased for index work and dont need because I now have a 8" monster super spacer for that type of work.

Turbostep: Some people with handicapped hands have a need such devices like tosa or whoever makes one

So I find this thread really interesting..... I post something for sale (person to person) and it gets removed and I'm told not to post "for sale" items in this section but Tosa post up a an item for commercial sale to end user and it remains....... interesting...... However, I must admit, I really like all the alternatives that came out of this post. In fact, I'll be making up my version this upcoming weekend!

That is all, I will get off my soap box now and resume my day.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    ... I have no trouble at all using the 2 wrenches I already own.

I'd also be interested to see videos of people struggling because I honestly can't imagine what you're doing
    I have to admit that I agree. We have a large tool holder vise at work for changing tooling, but I find the 2 wrench system at home works great. Not really sure why it's difficult for others. I actually like being able to tighten the two wrenches by squeezing with one hand. Loosening is the same only in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    ...but Tosa post up a an item for commercial sale to end user and it remains....... interesting......
    I thought Tosa was just replying and not actually advertising anything.

welding vise here with 2 pieces of aluminum angle over the jaws to protect the shank, then use the two wrench method, works fine and is handy.
    mike sr

Costing Break Down:
    Sourcing = 10 hrs

If I were going to sell millions of them it would be different, maybe I will sell 50, right?
    That's a great tool, but I would have used 1018 steel for the bottom plate and the riser for significantly less cost, then just black oxide all 3 pieces when it's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    I thought Tosa was just replying and not actually advertising anything.
    I guess he did not post the first post but........

* Have you seen the new cadillac keyboards I offer for the PCNC control?

* Costing Break Down:
    Sourcing = 10 hrs

The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12