585,962 active members*
3,640 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

microscope project

My friend and I would like to build a microscope that we can move the microscope head x/y/z with a resolution of 0.04 mil on a stationary bed. The weight load would be about 20 lbs. Is there anyone out there that would be upto helping us in designing such a beast. Oh if possible it would be nice to beable to make it computer controlled, but not a really needed.

Thanks
    Haku

Precision stage

I'm wondering how far you need to move the scope?

Like 2" x 2" (X x Y) and say 1" Z

Thanks
    Haku

Microscope project

2" X, 2" Y, and 1" Z makes it a little easier but it will still be tough to stay within 1 micron (.04 mils). Newport makes some Linear motor stages that would meet the spec ( http://www.newport.com/Motion-Contro...0/product.aspx ) but you would have to use a couple of them per axis to do what you are wanting I think. They will not be cheap. The .04 mil accuracy needed is just under twice the wavelength of Heilum Neon laser which is about 632.8 nm. Movement of a 20 lb scope in the Z azis may present a problem to the newport stages. Depending on what it is that you will be observing, it may be easier to move that in the Z axis.

If you are talking about building this from scratch, well, your rails are going to need to be polished almost opticly flat and your rolling elements would need to be of comparable accuracy (Some hard drive spindle bearings have sub micron run-outs) as well. You might look at the thread on Polymer Concrete for a frame construction material.

Steve