585,933 active members*
3,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DMU 50 setup help

I'm absolutely new to the DMG Mori, DMU 50. Ours is 2015 year and has Siemens controls with the Celos Ergoline touchscreen control, 5 axis monoblock (not sure if it's capable of coordinated 5 axis or not).

I have some programs running in the machine, all are 5 axis positioning, and absolutely no idea how to initiate another part setup.

I have mastercam 2022 and a "polished" post processor.

I'm a 45 year machinist with almost 30 years in mastercam, started with ver 3.5. Lots of controls under my belt but absolutely no siemens or celos experience.

I can make the machine do a tool change and that's where my expertise ends.

We broke an end mill, replaced the tool and went to set the TLO. then...
    I'm not certain the machine is functioning properly because when I try to do an automatic tool length measurement, It apparently has a Blum laser probe for tools, even with a tool already registered and cutting, I get an error: E7 Tool Dimension out of limit. Very possible (and more than likely!) it's a user error.
    As I said I'm a complete rookie with this machine.

Another option would be touching the tool on a known surface like a cut part in the vise, however I don't know how to select the work offset or even how to pickup an offset after I've selected it.

I chose to post this thread because I have found exactly zero help on the web or this forum addressing the basics of this machine. I've been digging through the factory documentation but all I found is very generic information, nothing specific for this control applied to a mill.

If one knows where I might go to find this please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
    Dennis

Re: DMU 50 setup help

Ours is heidenhain control..
    You need to input an approximate length into the length offset to avoid that alarm..

I have a basic tool measure program, all I change is the tool #, and RPM ( relates to # of flutes on tool).

@superman

Thanks for your reply and your help.

I have the basic tool data input. This is why I commented about using a known registered tool to do an automated length measurement on, same E7 error even with an end mill that is cutting correctly. I'm attempting an automated length only as to keep it simple while I learn.

The machine moves over to the length staging area then instead of a -z- move, I think it should move Z- in a controlled rate until it breaks the beam which I never see, it waits a little while then moves x+ about 2-3" then stops waits a few moments then registers the E7 error.

I think maybe the laser measuring beam either isn't coming on or maybe there's a door that doesn't open to allow the laser to output.

Again, I'm not at all familiar with the machines normal working mode and I don't see a visible laser, as the Blum book says there's supposed to be.

Laser gate has two "flaps" covering laser beam emiter and sensor. They are opened by air presure maybe they are not fully opening. There are diodes showing that gate works, and beam is properly detected.

Also the holes can be clogged by coolant and chips.

Score.

Apparently the flaps were clogged or stuck.

I did get a length offset set.

I called several tools up and repeated the process and it is working now. In that process I called an end mill up that had a 16+" offset in the register and it wouldn't evet try that one, I reduced that number to 5" and it went ahead and worked. Most of the offsets are around 5" positive on the toolset we have in the machine currently,
    does someone know what that offset is referencing? It can't be the Z+ limit or it would be in excess of probably 10", is it the Z_- limit?

Thanks for the patient responses.
    Dennis

There should be some tool gauge setter (looks like a tool, but it has no cutters, it's monolith with holder and it's measured and has it's lengths and diameters marked on)
    U can also muasure some tool length from the spindle front edge.
    If u have touchprobe length calibrated u can recalibrate laser gate by making test cut with any tool, then checking how high is Ur test plane, add or substract the differenc between ur programmed and measured height. And then use corrected tool for gate calibration.
    This will make all Ur tools and gauges calibrated on the same surface.

We do have the spindle standards for the machines, my questions was really conceptual, on a more mainstream brand machine (or non DMG MORI), the tool length offset is generally from home position (incremental encoder machine) to the fixed position touch point (table probe in many cases) my query was more related to the actual length offset. In the case of my 1/2" square end mill, the offset is +5.6273 instead of like 10 plus inches in negative Z travel from the top of Z axis.

I guess it might be a position from the top of the table.

Not sure if I'm making sense here...

again, thanks
    Dennis

I'm not sure what U were willing to say.

Tool length in milling machines is ment to be measured from specific point on the spindle. It is quite close to face plane of the spindle, or exactly on it (depending on what kind of holder U have)
    It is prety hard or even imposible to measure directly this face so U need some reference tool. There are specific reference tools that are used only for calibrating toolsetters, but U can also use any tool that's length is known. Or use touchprobe to obtain tool length by measuring face milled by this tool.

So "gage length" + a fixed amount, to the level table probably.

That's what I was looking for, the concept so it makes sense in my pea brain.

Next question, is there a quick way to set say a G54 work offset without a spindle probe.

I'll need a known tool length with the tool length offset "added" to the machine position, I'm thinking.

So first things first, If I have changed tools ("manual in") to a registered tool in my magazine, will the position be displayed with the tool length offset? Or will it also have the work offset added?

If I could get someone to splain the mechanics of displayed position it will help me with lots of trial and error.

Again thank you for your patient responses. I'm already miles ahead of where I was!

Dennis

If U are making a measurement (there is a softbutton in TSM screen) then offsets are taken into account. It automatically substracts tool offsets from WPC (workpiece coordinate system) setting and WPC from tool dimmensions. If U edit offset table u just enter values, so u need to take care of it by Ur own.

Position of tool is displayed according to it's offsets, and actual WPC. Only i G500 values are omitting any offset. U can use it for safe positions etc.

Quick procedure for setting work position is to measure it with any measured tool. (Measuring works noot only with probe) when U in position u can press measure button and then u will have right verical buttons tu decide which direction is measured and to capture position, then U can set what value in specific direction is it. Just like with probe, but not automatically. It will also take into account tool ofset if necessary.

@steryd

Thank you for the heads up.

I had a little trouble finding the obvious buttons and their meaning but after some stops and starts I found my way around.

Is there a semi standard way to use the probe for fixture offsets?

Again Thanks
    Dennis

Ok, never mind, I punched around a little more and found the spindle probing routines.

Thanks all

I started this thread thinking it would help an experienced machinist like myself find their way around this seemingly foreign looking / feeling control. I hope we have used enough keywords to help someone find it through a normal search on the web.

Paying it back, I am willing to help anyone with this initial stuff if needed. Just pm me or ask the question here, I'll try to include pictures with my responses.

We're making chips now :cheers: