585,752 active members*
3,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tube coping for cnc plasma

http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

This is something I have almost forgotten about, it is a simple program that aids in coping and notching tubing. You enter the tube size that is to be cut, the angle of cope, and the size of tube to be fitted to, and it then draws the cope out as a line that can be printed out, wrapped around the tubing, and then cut.

The really great part, and the reason I put this in the cnc plasma section is that there is a built-in Gcode converter.

I know, I know. It isn't a cnc plasma machine. But, for those that use one, it is a great time saver.
    Hope that some of you can use it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

I think I have seen a CNC tube coper. Turned the tube and moved the torch to make the copes. If you came up with a stepper tube turner, and could calculate steps/inch of circumference it wouldn't be that hard. At least untill you put the first bend in the tube. MIKE

Well, for radius arms, ladder bars, panhard bars, fence pipe, etc. it would be great. When the piece needs bending, well, that is a whole 'nother story.

I would think it would be easy to setup. Get an old lathe chuck or something to clamp the tube in, spin it with a stepper with some gear reduction, and plug it in as your "Y" axis.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

Quote Originally Posted by accuratemike View Post
    I think I have seen a CNC tube coper. Turned the tube and moved the torch to make the copes. If you came up with a stepper tube turner, and could calculate steps/inch of circumference it wouldn't be that hard. At least untill you put the first bend in the tube. MIKE
    Yes, we offer a tube cutting attachment to any of our Torchmate machines that you can take this g-code directly to our machine and cut it (with some minor g-code changes that you will have to put in yourself) or save the HPGL file as a .plt file and take it into our Torchmate CAD software to edit it.

Pictures can be found here: http://torchmate.com/tm_accessories.htm
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    Do you know of any other programs like this one that would calculate for larger diameter pipe, like 15" or 16" O.D.?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhollowmfg View Post
    Do you know of any other programs like this one that would calculate for larger diameter pipe, like 15" or 16" O.D.?
    I don't think calculating it would be the problem, I think turning it would be!
    On something like that, I see people use larger torch bevelers that mount to the pipe. I forget the real, technical name for them.

-RedGreen show.

Not so much for turning them, but to be able to print the cope outline on the plotter to wrap the pipe with. We make some funky pipe tee's and diverter valves once in a while, usually on pipe anywhere from 12" up to a 36" piece we did recently. Tying to figure out the cope on some of those big ones can lead to alot of smoke exiting the ears!

It seems that the DOS program calculates for larger then 10" dimensions, have you tried that?
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Hmmm, I missed that way down there. Thanks for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Torchmate View Post
    It seems that the DOS program calculates for larger then 10" dimensions, have you tried that?
    That's better than my advice. I was just going to tell him to go to Home Depot and get a 14" hole saw

-RedGreen show.

LOL!! Here's usually what happens when I go to my local Home Depot = (chair) Knowing that place, they would probably say something like "We only sell whole saws, not partial ones."

Quote Originally Posted by blackhollowmfg View Post
    LOL!! Here's usually what happens when I go to my local Home Depot = (chair)
    Just for fun you should go ask. Mass hilarities will ensue.
    Then go into the electrical department and ask for a 440 volt double phase breaker. Tell them it has to be slow blow.
    I love going there when I am having a bad day, I can always entertain myself.

-RedGreen show.

Lik the Key grinding guy that decided he wanted to argue with me telling me that i cant rekey my door locks at my own house.
    "Do you have rekeying kits here?"
    "no it would be illegal for us to sell those only locksmiths can rekey locks"
    "Um no its not, have seen them for sale in other places"
    "Well its illegal"
    "Really guess someone should tell Menards that since i have seen them there before"

FYI Yes menards sells rekeying kits for schlage and kwicksets. ( works great too)