584,805 active members*
4,987 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > HSD ES919 Spindle bearing removal help..
Page 1 of 2 12

HSD ES919 Spindle bearing removal help..

Hi everyone, first post but I've been lurking around for a while and enjoy reading on the forums here.
    I'm in the process of disassembling an old (circa 1997) HSD ES919 spindle to clean it up and rebuild it. I've managed to get the spindle shaft with the bearings attached out of the spindle body as per the manual for changing the shaft kit but am not sure of the best way to proceed from here...
    This spindle is very well made and so far there has been a relatively simple process for removing each component. I'm sure there is an equally well thought out method for removing the bearings but it isn't documented in the standard manual.
    Does anyone have any experience with these spindles and how to proceed from this point?
    The only things I can notice are an Allen key slot in the top of the spring retaining piece and a similar slot inside the top of the taper. As well as some points on the external part of the taper which line up with the outside flange that could be used to unscrew something's at that end...
    I have included some photos of the shaft as sits and any help would be very much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Re: HSD ES919 Spindle bearing removal help..

We used to pay HSD about $2000 to rebuild ours back then. Sorry, but I don't know how to get it apart. The piece on top is probably a nut, and probably left handed?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Stepping3D

You need to make or get the special wrenches needed to take it apart, there is already damage done to one part, that is now unusable for a high speed spindle like this, you can buy a replacement spindle Rotor assembly for these Spindles, that is expensive option though, you can not damage any part, of the rotating parts of this spindle, any damaged part or parts will be not usable
    Mactec54

Hi, Thanks for the responses I really appreciate it!
    mactec54, I had noticed the damage to a couple of the parts, it looks like someone who had this spindle previous to me had tried unsuccessfully to take it apart already...
    I have a lathe at home and I was considering attempting to make replacement parts but I'm not confident I can get the tolerances needed.
    I'm going to ask a shop nearby how much they'll charge to make some replacements so I'll see what they say first.
    Do you know by any chance if that part is left or right hand thread? Do I have to remove the draw bar and spring?
    The manual is pretty specific about avoiding that, however that is probably because they consider this part to be out of most people's comfort zone...
    Thanks for the help and advice I'll get the right tools and update the thread when I've made some progress.

Cool Re: HSD ES919 Spindle bearing removal help..

Hi,
    Thanks a lot everyone for your help! Turns out that particular thread is a normal right handed thread. It was absolutely crazy tight and took a lot of heat and effort to get it off...
    Restoring a 20 year old spindle is a lot of work it seems but it's proving to be a lot of fun too.
    This is a really well used spindle and so now starts the process of trying to get this thing back to original spec.. or with a bit of luck better..
    Here's a few photos of the various parts, many of which are really worse for wear..

which thread was right hand? i got the smaller nut off that retains the upper two bearings, and that was left handed. was yours right handed, or are you talking about the lower larger nut that retains the lower/larger bearings? i'm trying to remove the lower nut and i want to make sure i'm turning it the correct way

Quote Originally Posted by danielwilcox View Post
    which thread was right hand? i got the smaller nut off that retains the upper two bearings, and that was left handed. was yours right handed, or are you talking about the lower larger nut that retains the lower/larger bearings? i'm trying to remove the lower nut and i want to make sure i'm turning it the correct way
    Hi Daniel,
    Top bearing retainer as you say was left hand thread.
    Regarding the nose bearings there is two retaining nuts to remove, first one which you remove during disassembly is the one that screws into the bearing housing and it is indeed left handed as well. It also has one or two set screws holding it in place which are screwed through the outer edge of the bearing housing. The second one is the nut which screws onto the spindle shaft and this is the one which actually holds the bearings on the shaft, this is normal right handed thread. Mine was extremely difficult to remove, I first had to heat the whole lot up and then slightly tighten it crack the nut and then quickly remove it before it cooled down. Your mileage may vary, mine was an abused spindle that's about 20 years old so was stuck tight, after removal I inspected it and found the threads were galled, I have since re-machined it and am going through the GPG process currently.
    Good luck getting your's off, I'm sure it won't be as difficult but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyway.

Im so happy to find your photos of the hsd spindle! I am trying to get the top bearings off to clean/replace. How do you lock the drawbar tube to undo the draw bar spring nut on the top? And is this needed ro get the top two bearing off. Also is it normal right hand thread?

Thanks

Hi,
    If you look up the cone of the spindle you will see a Allen key slot and two divots. This is the set screw which holds the position of the clamp vertically and the divots can lock the clamp in place while you remove the draw bar and springs. I'll check what hand thread it is when I get home tonight if you like but I'm pretty sure it's right hand. Good luck, just take your time and it will come apart without to much issue.

Some photos from tear down.

Bearings are snfa 60x35x14 vex35 sq5ceDD 15deg high presicion abec 5 angular contact bearings. 2.5um ecentricity markings on inner race. 1um and 0um on outter race.

I removed bottom bearings with heat and press cleaned them and regreased them they seem ok but after assembly there is 0.04-0.06mm of run out at the other end of the spindle on the back bearings. 0.005mm or 5um or less is spec.

I cant get the top bearing nut off or the draw bar out. Not aure if i need to take the draw bar out before the nut will come off.

Bottom Outter retainer nut= left hand thread
    Inside bottom retainer nut= right hand thread
    Top retainer nut= lefthand thread?
    Top draw bar spring/encoder hex screw= right/left?
    Bottom draw bar hex scew =?

Need alot of special tools. I made most of them from aluminium and steel pins.

I need to get the back bearings off and inspect if this is the source of my run out.

The back bearings have spun in the housing and there looks like heat damage so possibly the problem.

Post Re: HSD ES919 Spindle bearing removal help..

After removing all the bearings cleaning and reinstalling them in mutiple positions i still have 0.03-0.06mm run out at the top bearing when spinning on the bottom bearings.

I think my shaft is bent? On v blocks the bottom bearing journal goes from 2.5um to 10um TIR at the nose. Is is possible to bend the shaft this small amount?

What options to repair from here? All surfaces look good.

By tapping the bottom bearing race i can get it to 0.03mm run out at the back bearing. But this still is to much?

Is gpg the only option to get back to alignment. I think max run out is 5um but also the inner race nut has runout which migh be adding to the problem.

What to do from here.

Hello,

So i had a collision on a piece of metal and damaged a bearing of my es919.
    New shaft costs 4100,- from hsd Italy and a brand New spindle 6500,- euro from hsd Italy.
    Made the choice to buy an New spindle so i can repair the old shaft with New bearing and keep that so i can Quick change the spindle when neeeded.
    I think you have used the wrong bearings or the shaft is bend.
    Abec 5 is way to low for these high speeds.
    The bearings for this spindle are made in germany by Gmn.
    These are Abec 7

https://www.gmn.de/suche/?bereich=kugellager

Search for:
    HY KH 6008 C TA
    HY KH 6006 C TA

I got this info from hsspindles.com

So Hope this info is of any use for you or someone.

Now in return can you tell me how to remove the drawbar?

I haven't needed to take one apart myself yet but this site may help?

https://translate.googleusercontent....GTV9TZIBSr_9PA

The drawbar spring is under a heap of tension and can seriously injure you if you don't take it apart correctly. I think some sort of special clamp is use to hold it when removing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big S View Post
    I haven't needed to take one apart myself yet but this site may help?

https://translate.googleusercontent....GTV9TZIBSr_9PA

The drawbar spring is under a heap of tension and can seriously injure you if you don't take it apart correctly. I think some sort of special clamp is use to hold it when removing it.
    I had no problems with the draw bar. I let the preasure off the draw bar by unturning the pull stud Nut and before the end of thread runs out the pressure is zero. Definalty take care here. And count the turns as this is close to the required spring pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieslasher View Post
    I had no problems with the draw bar. I let the preasure off the draw bar by unturning the pull stud Nut and before the end of thread runs out the pressure is zero. Definalty take care here. And count the turns as this is close to the required spring pressure.
    Good to know! Thanks.

Hi Guys
    Just been doing a rebuild of an ES929 spindle motor bottom end bearings, every step is the same as the 919 replacing bearings with SKF 7008 CYDUPLP4, these are steel bearings not ceramics don't want to damage them when re-assembling and pre-tensioning them, just means max rpm is 20K not 24K.
    Here's a tip for getting locked threads undone, heat the assemble till it is nice and hot not red hot and drop into bucket of cold water cracks the seal everytime
    Bearing are orginial SKF through a chinese distributor $33.80 a matched pair
    If you want cheap top quality oringinal brand bearing and don't mind a 3-5 day wait, contact these guys . Mrs Wendy Yan
    https://zwthkbearing.en.alibaba.com/...17bc3e5fOMIdto

Thanks @acidcustom that is a good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Stepping3D View Post
    Thanks @acidcustom that is a good tip!
    Not a good Idea to put it in water after heating it though, if you use the right tools they are easy to undo the locking nuts
    Mactec54

mactec54, That's true I missed that, you could use oil or another coolant though. I know with mine, there was no way regular tools would have worked the first time it was rebuilt. Years of being run hot in a wood shop production environment, had locked everything together to a crazy degree. In my case, even the heat and cool wouldn't work first time, as I tried every trick in the book. Eventually after heating and cooling a number of times over an hour or two; using wax each time to cool the joint, it came off. I have had to re-machine most of the spindle as a result to get it back in shape... In retrospect it wasn't worth the effort and I should have picked a better candidate for rebuilding!

Page 1 of 2 12