585,982 active members*
4,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Changes on an 2-axis Ez-Trak

Hey Folks,

I have a newly acquired 2 axis Ez-trak DX that is up and running. I'm using Fusion 360 for CAD & CAM with a post-processor from Southwest Ind. The part I'm trying to make uses 3 different tools and all I have are R8 collets.

Is there a "normal" or "best practice" method of changing the tools and resetting the Z height? Do you set the clearance position over something of a know height and change out the tool, touch off, and hit /z=0? Or is there another way to do it without having to exit the program/run screen and then having to figure out what line to resume the program at?

Eventually I'll buy a handful of ER tool holders / collets and set everything prior to starting, but I'm really curious how to do this without the ER holders.

Thanks.

Re: Tool Changes on an 2-axis Ez-Trak

On a knee mill, the best way is to zero Z somewhere on the part or even could be the top of the vice jaw or part bottom. Doesn't really matter what you zero to as long as it agrees with the zero on the CAM setup. I normally set Z zero at the part top, but that's not always possible. Use the knee to move the work to the tool

I normally ''bundle'' the operations by tool where possible, and each tool is done as a separate operation, each with its own file.. That way you don't have to find the line that you were on. Change tools, set zero, load the file, and press go.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jpream View Post
    Hey Folks,

I have a newly acquired 2 axis Ez-trak DX that is up and running. I'm using Fusion 360 for CAD & CAM with a post-processor from Southwest Ind. The part I'm trying to make uses 3 different tools and all I have are R8 collets.

Is there a "normal" or "best practice" method of changing the tools and resetting the Z height? Do you set the clearance position over something of a know height and change out the tool, touch off, and hit /z=0? Or is there another way to do it without having to exit the program/run screen and then having to figure out what line to resume the program at?

Eventually I'll buy a handful of ER tool holders / collets and set everything prior to starting, but I'm really curious how to do this without the ER holders.

Thanks.
    Because you have a R8 you can use what they have for the Tormach mill which they call TTS tool holder this you can set each tool and just change the tool at each tool change and press start

They are not very good for heavy cutting, for general use work very well

https://tormach.com/accessories/tool...lding/tts.html
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    On a knee mill, the best way is to zero Z somewhere on the part or even could be the top of the vice jaw or part bottom. Doesn't really matter what you zero to as long as it agrees with the zero on the CAM setup. I normally set Z zero at the part top, but that's not always possible. Use the knee to move the work to the tool

I normally ''bundle'' the operations by tool where possible, and each tool is done as a separate operation, each with its own file.. That way you don't have to find the line that you were on. Change tools, set zero, load the file, and press go.
    I guess that makes sense.. If you're just loading a new program you don't have to worry about where you left off after you jump out of a program to set a new tool. Fusion 360 allows you to output multiple programs where you can select which ops go into which programs so it shouldn't be too bad. Sounds easier than what I was going to do anyway.