584,800 active members*
4,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Choosing plasma cutter

hello,
    I'm building a CNC plasma and I have difficulty choosing the right plasma cutter for my application, I want machine that able to cut ornamental
    shapes from 1/4 inch mild steel, what machine you recommend me ?! powermax 45 or 65, thermal dynamics A40 or A60 ? as I understand I should choose machine that able to provide enough Amps to cut 1/4 inch steel at 100% duty cycle (continues)... is that right ?! and in case I have plasma cutter that provide the required Amps for cutting specific thickness in 60% duty cycle what will happen if I'm cutting big shape (large g-code) that need for example 20 minute to be finished ?! the machine will stop after 6 minutes of cutting and continue or it's not possible to do that ?!
    appreciate your help

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Re: Choosing plasma cutter

I would highly recommend the Hypertherm brand. I have owned both the Thermal Dynamics A80 and Hypertherm Powermax 85. Absolutely no comparison between the two. I also do a lot of cutting on 1/4" plate. I have found that 65 amps works best. I ended up choosing the Powermax 85 because of duty cycle. We cut for extended periods of time and we wanted to be able to cut at 100 percent duty cycle.

Re: Choosing plasma cutter

Hi, We have been operating Hypertherm plasma power sources for years. Great machines that have been very good machines for us.
    We have over the years had other plasma power sources in the shop and we still have a Miller 2050 with a thermal dynamics 1 torch that works good, that said when we need another plasma power source it will be Hypertherm there technology pretty much leads the others.
    Mike.