584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wiring Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new here even though I have been doing CNC machining for a long time.

I am in need of so help and advice on wiring.

I have several NEMA 34 size Superior Electric Slo-Syn Stepper Motors as well as related Superior Electric 3180-PT Translator Motor Drives that I would like to use to CNC a bench top mill and lathe. I have the connections are figured out for the motors to the drives and getting those powered and energized.

I am planning on using Mach 3 for the software.

Where I am stuck is what do I need in between the computer and the drives. I am assuming I need a motor driver board and then need to connect it to the I/O port which on the Superior Electric 3180-PT Translator Motor Drives is a 15 pin serial port looking connection point.

Might anyone know what pins I need to use to finalize connections or am I really missing something. I am stalled at this point of my project and would like some help overcoming this hurdle so I can achieve getting everything to talk back and forth so I can move on to getting everything attached to the machines themselves.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Re: Wiring Question

If you download the pdf on the Superior Electric 3180-PT Translator Motor Drive
    it should give you all the info you need

I have and I will look it over again. It seems there are two versions of the pdf on the web though, one that is about 24 pages and one that is 55 pages. I have only been able to find the one that is the abbreviated version (approx. the 24 page pdf) so I am, of course, curious what information I am missing.

I have contacted Superior with some questions as well but so far I haven't received a response. I will try calling them today to see if I can actually speak with someone.

I think I misspoke in my previous post and should have written that I think I need a break-out board between the computer and the drives but still need some information on the pin connections.

If anyone has any additional knowledge they can share I would really be grateful for the help.

If the drive pulse inputs are opto coupled you won't need a breakout board between them and the comp
    if they are opto coupled adding a break out board could slow down your max pulse rate. All opto couplers are not equal some work fast some not so fast
    I suspect these drive will have isolated inputs most do.

Hi & Thank You for the information.

I did receive an email back from the new company that purchased Superior Electric. They found the missing page that shows the pin connections on the 3180-PT drives, but with with your answer I am now at a loss if I need a BO board or not. It is beginning to sound like I might encounter less headaches if I just use the motors and purchase new drivers and a BO Board off eBay.

My guess, which is purely a guess, is these old drives are not Opto-coupled but I'll write back to the company to see if I can get verification on that.

Any more thoughts or information is greatly appreciated.

https://www.artisantg.com/PLC/64493-...or_Motor_Drive

if this is your drive is says "the control signals are optically isolated from the drive circuit" .

That's incredible news. My apologizes for being so uneducated in this area. I've done a fair amount of AC and DC wiring but when it comes to getting the computer to talk to the drives I am really lost completely.

So no breakout board is needed then. So am I using the printer port and simply getting the correct wires to the correct drives or do I need a special board to add to the computer. I don't think I've seen a computer with the old style printer ports in a long time so I'm guessing I need something additional.

Thank you for all of the help you are giving me on this. I really appreciate it a lot.

The output of the Parallel Port is normally TTL logic levels. The voltage levels are the easy part. The current you can sink and source varies from port to port. Most Parallel Ports implemented in ASIC, can sink and source around 12mA. However these are just some of the figures taken from Data sheets, Sink/Source 6mA, Source 12mA/Sink 20mA, Sink 16mA/Source 4mA, Sink/Source 12mA. As you can see they vary quite a bit.
    If your not sure off all the specs of your port and drives it would be be best to use a break out board or "bob" as its called most of these boards include onboard relays and other functions that you will probable need any way like switching on spindle and flood or coolant control plus inputs for limit and emergency stop switches.

Okay. Thank you so very much. I'll get my hands on a breakout board as I have that wring pretty well figured out and understand it.

I'll go back and check with Mach 3 to see if you can send a signal to a motor before you purchase the software for testing purposes, otherwise I'll have to pop for the $175 to get a licensed version.

If there is anything else you might think of that I should address, keep in mind or make sure I don't do, please let me know. I really appreciate the advice. Thank you for all of your time to help me out. It really means a lot.

I lost my job about 9 weeks ago and we are close to losing our home so I am trying to pull together all the resources and possibilities I can to do some productive machining and hopefully get back to earning some income. So, all of your advice really does mean a lot and I am very grateful. Sincerely.

Mach3 unregistered has only 1 restriction that is the number of lines of G-Code that it will use I think it is around 500 lines of code

Thank you so much for the reply. Stay Well.