585,768 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY CNC AND GRBL HELP!

HiI am in the process of building my CNC/engraver. I have it all build only X axis and Y axis and I am using a pencil just to drawl out my project. For some reason every time I start a project everything is written in reverse like it was through a mirror. I can't figure out what GRBL settings will fix that. Also is it normal to have a lead screw drive axis on the X and the Y or better to have belts. And if anybody could give me a few pointers on setting some of the parameters for the G RBL settings I will include some pictures of my machine and if anyone has any pointers because I'm kind of stuck right now

Re: DIY CNC AND GRBL HELP!

Canorris,

With the power off invert the stepper wires of one coil (pair) on the offending axis.

Welcome to the Zone.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Or just invert the direction pins in the EEPROM settings. You can see what they are currently set for by using a serial monitor and sending a $$ command. The parameter you want is the $3 value. It uses a "mask" to set the values. Normally it is set to $3=0. To invert X add 1 to invert Y add 2, and to invert Z add 4. So to invert x and Z the setting value would be 0+1+4=5. To invert x and Y then 0+1+2=3. Once you figure out what needs to be changed, send that value using the command $3=(calculated value). For example, inverting x and y the value is 3 so you would use a serial monitor program to send the command $3=3. You can use the serial monitor within the Arduino IDE.

Hey thanks that worked perfectly. Would you happen to know how to smooth out the curves when my machine is running? What it does is this stop and go thing but on straight lines it runs very smooth.