584,830 active members*
6,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SRAM Freespace=-1

Hi.
    A have a new problem with my centurion6.
    A have the message SRAM Freespace=-1
    I have changed the 2 batteries : the BIOS battery and the ISA card battery but it still doesn't work.
    I have looked for a solution on the web and found this: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/milltr...space-1-a.html
    But i can't enter in the dos shell like Sportybob told to MortyNtenon because there is no count down.
    The drive B: is invalid.
    I have spent a long time to retrofit my machine, I need help please.
    Best regards.
    hernault.

Re: SRAM Freespace=-1

Hi Hernault, If the "drive B:" is invalid, it is not finding the simdisk card. The simdisk is the small "daughter" board on the top of the long NCB " ISA" card. The simdisk is an electronic disk the has 2 parts, the " A:\ROM" ( the DOS OS, boot files, config.sys, autoexec.bat and other files. The B;\ has 2 sections, a:\RAM and B;\Parts. The ram section holds the machine parameters " pfile.dat", path.dat and other files needed after boot up. The b:\parts is where the " programed "parts" files are stored.
    when changing out the simdisk battery you need to reformat the "b:\ ram and parts sections of the disk. This is what the " count down" is supposed to allow, It gets you to a shell program.

Is it possible that you bumped a jumper setting on the red dip switch block? located just below the battery. picture of the area please.
    Did you reinstall the blue connector on the bottom edge of the NCB card?

If you can get to the a:\ try entering SHELL and see if that brings up the shell program.

sportybob

Hello Sportybob.
    I finally succeeded in formatting my B:drive using the method you gave to mortyNtenon and the help of a french nice guy.
    Thank you to both of you.
    But i'm a little disappointed because i still have a problem with the control of the spindle that is Xout4=0.7V when the spindle is OFF and Xout4=0.1V when the spindle is ON.
    Perhaps it's because of the switches on the red block. Only the fifth switch is open. I attach a picture.
    Best regards.
    hernault.

Hi Hernault, where is the daughter board??? I would expect it to be shown in the attached picture. How is the control booting up? did you change something???

How are you controlling the spindle on / off?

What NCB files are you using? F8(info) pic of the screen please

sportybob

Hi Sportybob.
    Here are the pictures you asked me for.
    At this time i still can't use my CNC. It takes a long time for me to repair it because i do it in my free time.
    This problem of the control of the spindle is old. I've tried many solutions like changing all the ULN 2802A at the outputs. But it still doesn't work.
    Recently I had the message SRAM Freespace=-1 so I checked the ISA card battery and found 3V. I had hoped it could be my problem but after changing the battery the control of the spindle still didn't work. I'm sorry because what i told you about Xout4 is wrong. From the moment I changed the battery, I got the following results: xout4=0.6v when i put an M3 in MDI and Xout4=0.1V when i put an M5.
    Could you tell me if the switches are in the right position?
    Thank you for your help.
    Best regards.
    hernault
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1706.JPG   DSCN1705.JPG  

Hi Hernault, The dip switch is correct. I have my doubts about the NCB files, It refers to a 2 speed spindle drive. Which I am pretty sure you do not have.
    I will do some checking and get back you.

sportybob

Hello Sportybob.
    Thank you for your interest. I a fought something strange. There is a difference between the list of my centurion parameters and the parameters of the manual.
    My version of parameters is 1.
    Best regards.
    hernault.