585,752 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Strange message while tapping

Strange message while tapping

I've tapped many holes the past few weeks but today changed the tap to a 3/8-16 and now the machine stops after tapping the hole and won't go to the next hole with this on the screen (see attachment). Anyone know what all this is or means? Programming is done with Surfcam and can't see anything wrong or different in the code from last week to today.

Re: Strange message while tapping

Moldcore, I am sure that I will not be able to help in any way with your problem, but I think a little more info is required.

Such as, the model of the machine and the version of the controller.

Regards, Dave.

Oops sorry everyone. I was in a hurry to leave and wanted to post this before I left hopping I'd see an answer when I returned this morning.
    The machine is a VM24 from 1999 with a C6 controller updated to a SBC a few years back. Most of what you see on the screen is for the can cycle. The X5 is for the next hole location. Even if I run a program for one hole the machine taps the hole then freezes above the hole with the spindle still turning. Like I said, this worked just fine a few days earlier. The can cycles still work for spotting and drilling. I can and generally do tap holes in our drill press but sometimes it makes sense to do it on the machine if the part is too large or there are multiple parts that are similar.

Hi Mold core, I wonder if the following error is not dropping back to < .0050. ( in position error)

Go to display, error and check and see if one of the axis is "hanging up". Z axis.??

try a tap cycle in conversational, does it "hang up" ?

sportybob

Thanks sportybob for your response.

The following error shows the Z axis at +.010 while feeding and -.010 when it reverses. Both X & Y are steady at .0000.

I have no clue how to do the conversational. Have always used Surfcam since the mid 90's.

Here is a program that Surfcam generates for one hole tapping .75 deep:

O1
    G90G80G40G17
    T15M6
    G0G54X5.Y-0.6465
    M3S400
    G43Z1.1H15
    M8
    G88X5.Y-0.6465Z-0.75R0.1F0.06
    G80
    M5M9
    G32
    G49M2

Hi Moldcore, What is the following error when the tool stops above the part before it moves to the next hole? " the machine stops after tapping the hole and won't go to the next hole "

The following error needs to drop below .005 before the control will move on to the "next position" hence the name " in position error"

Call if you want to, I believe you have my #. or PM me for it.

sportybob

Following error is .0000 when it stops. I'll PM you don't have your phone # anymore.

Okay everyone here is a followup. Suddenly the machine is tapping again without a problem. Why I have no clue. I talked to sportybob and he thinks its a following problem that can be intermittent. So we'll keep an eye on it for now. If anyone has experienced this please don't hesitate to offer some suggestions.