585,728 active members*
5,005 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 10 1234

Re: RAPIDTURN VIDEOS

Hi Guys

Hey thanks for your Earthquake concerns!...most appreciated!

Here is part 4: Cheers Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gyfy8eWPBQ

nice! That toolholder bracket you built looks awesome. You should send some pictures of it to Tormach as a suggestion for a future product.

One question about your plan to slide the rapid turn down to the left- how much further to the left will the cutting tool traverse on the table? Will that new position allow cutting all the way to the chuck jaws?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    nice! That toolholder bracket you built looks awesome. You should send some pictures of it to Tormach as a suggestion for a future product.

One question about your plan to slide the rapid turn down to the left- how much further to the left will the cutting tool traverse on the table? Will that new position allow cutting all the way to the chuck jaws?
    Hi Tim - Yes the headstock current max position left is wasting a lot of the X travel. It is only there because of the T slot limitations.

Cheers Keen

Hi Guys.

Part 5 - Cheers Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIvfx3iTxcU

Hi Keen, as usual a great video!

One thing you and others setting up their own tailstocks might consider for gaining some height adjustment is the adjustable centers made for turning tapers. They are generally setup for side to side adjustment but there is nothing preventing setting it vertically. They are sold commercially, but lots of folks make their own, if you google, there are lots of examples.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Hi Keen, as usual a great video!

One thing you and others setting up their own tailstocks might consider for gaining some height adjustment is the adjustable centers made for turning tapers. They are generally setup for side to side adjustment but there is nothing preventing setting it vertically. They are sold commercially, but lots of folks make their own, if you google, there are lots of examples.

Terry
    Hi Terry - That's interesting. I have googled and see a few different types.

Yes that is an option worth considering. Thanks Keen

Hi Guys. Here is part 6.

Cheers Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd8BQL6ZdRg

Your configuration looks very versatile! Can we look forward to learning more about offsets to enable gang tooling in your next video?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Your configuration looks very versatile! Can we look forward to learning more about offsets to enable gang tooling in your next video?
    Request noted. Cheers Keen

Bad news guys. There is a major issue with at least my RapidTurn.

Let us know if you also have the issue - if so you might want to start a thread on the subject, if so feel free to link this video.

Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6EGsQxxzig

In the hex 5C holder, what is the purpose of the set screw in the back?

Location, location, location...seriously though, it is mainly to aid tightening.

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Location, location, location...seriously though, it is mainly to aid tightening.

Keen
    It just seemed like it was sticking up, and I couldn't see how the back end of the collet could be flush, unless the set screw sits in the grove between the threads and the body of the collet.

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Bad news guys. There is a major issue with at least my RapidTurn.

Let us know if you also have the issue - if so you might want to start a thread on the subject, if so feel free to link this video.

Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6EGsQxxzig
    Cliff,

I just commented under your video on YouTube, but for the record here, mine's the same, serial number C043 (first batch). Following the initial disappointment, I feel a bit vindicated as only yesterday I was getting inaccuracy turning some small parts on it with a collet. Tightening the drawbar (tube) helped, but now I can see where it's coming from. Thanks for your work on this, I might have struggled for weeks!

Cheers, Andy

I just checked my RapidTurn (#C009 made in Feb 2016). Like Keen it is ground to the same diameter all the way through. However, it appears to be smaller at 1.258 or 31.95mm rather than Keen's 32.02mm (~0.0025 difference). I checked a 5c collet block (like the one in the video) and there is clearance in the middle and the bore at the back of mine measures about 1.251.

My spindle measures 1.255", so 0.005" oversize. Not as bad as keen's but still gives appreciable movement at the chuck end when moved radially. With everything else on my Rapid Turn 'in tolerance' i.e. better than spec., the bore should be 1.2500" + 0.0005" in my view. My 5C collets and adapters are all less than a thou under 1.2500". The situation can be improved with less stick-out of the work piece from the spindle, and the draw-tube over - tightened, but......Have emailed to Tormach and will see what they say.

Cheers, Andy

Well this just blows chunks on the 5C issue. I just sold some stuff today and was getting ready to place my order with Tormach! Saw on their site that they've "sold out" of all the RT units. I checked yesterday and they were all in stock so I'm assuming that they have recognized the issue and are putting a corrective action in place. Please keep us posted either via posting on here or via PM.

Thanks,
    Awall
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Sorry to say mine measures the same as Andy's, and it is brand new, still bolted to the bottom of the box. Just purchased last week after they had been out of stock for a while, so I presume that means it's one of the latest batch. Leads me to believe it's a drawing error rather than a manufacturing error.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Well this just blows chunks on the 5C issue. I just sold some stuff today and was getting ready to place my order with Tormach! Saw on their site that they've "sold out" of all the RT units. I checked yesterday and they were all in stock so I'm assuming that they have recognized the issue and are putting a corrective action in place. Please keep us posted either via posting on here or via PM.

Thanks,
    Awall

Same here. In fact, it has been removed from my order (which includes an 1100 and all the other accessories). A key planned use for the RapidTurn in my case was to turn a couple bearing races on a 2.5" diameter stainless steel tubes (3/8" wall thickness).. The shafts are 10" or shorter. I also had a use to turn (for cosmetics) stainless steel round bar, 1.25" in diameter and as long as can fit in the 1100 envelope. I have been seriously considering a 12x36 lathe for this as well. Namely a Grizzly 4003G. Should I maybe go with that instead, considering my use? My other turning needs were in aluminum, but the extra swing of the 4003G could be handy, and the work wouldn't tie up the mill.

Just measured mine.... 0.011 oversize. Mine was purchased in September of this year. Time to send a note to Tormach.

Page 2 of 10 1234