585,712 active members*
4,407 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 10 12345

Re: RAPIDTURN VIDEOS

Just measured mine too - 1.2566".

Has anyone gotten Tormach's take on this yet? And what would be the quick fix?

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    Has anyone gotten Tormach's take on this yet? And what would be the quick fix?
    I've emailed them yesterday and have still not gotten a response....
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

The 5C bore specs via here and youtube postings are coming in as mostly different - so this means a thin wall sleeve pushed in to the bore is not an option.

Not that would have been very durable anyway. This is a real difficult problem.

Keen

I emailed them and got this response:

Attachment 341270

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    The 5C bore specs via here and youtube postings are coming in as mostly different - so this means a thin wall sleeve pushed in to the bore is not an option.

Not that would have been very durable anyway. This is a real difficult problem.

Keen
    So, if you wanted to make your own fix, you would have to turn a mandrel the size of your collet, then bore a tube to fit on the mandrel, and the turn the outside of that tube to fit the inside of the spindle?

Actually, wouldn't attacking the drawbar be easier, by creating a collar that fits tightly between it and the spindle?

I am just asking until there is a permanent fix.

Btw, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I suppose that you could bore the Rapidturn spindle enough larger to insert a thick walled sleeve. I haven't checked how much meat is available for enlarging without significantly weakening things. If done on the mill the precise alignment of the spindle and mill axis for boring would be tricky. Doing it on the lathe would require disassembly of the Rapidturn. And the "repair" would surely void your warranty!

Steel inserts are used all the time in automotive engines. The key is to be able to get one in there that is thick enough to stay with temperature changed. It will see pretty good temperature swings just from normal use.
    Lee

The only fix for a brand new tool like this, is a replacement of the junk one with the proper tool. Literally nothing else should be an option. Or Tormach would have to give some kinda concessions. If I payed for a solid spindle and was sent a bushing, that would not be a fair trade IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I suppose that you could bore the Rapidturn spindle enough larger to insert a thick walled sleeve. I haven't checked how much meat is available for enlarging without significantly weakening things. If done on the mill the precise alignment of the spindle and mill axis for boring would be tricky. Doing it on the lathe would require disassembly of the Rapidturn. And the "repair" would surely void your warranty!
    The spindle looks hardened so it would have to be internally ground. Keen

What would be the problem with sending out a replacement spindle assembly? Looking at the owners manual it does not look that difficult to change. They could send replacement along with some step by step instructions. Then compensate the tool owner with a credit to buy some needed tooling. I can always find something from Tormach that I need or want. I see no other way to fix this problem. All my 5c fixtures like spin indexer, 5c holders for vice and 5c lathe chuck for 4th axi$ all have the correct design with the precision ground ledge and index pin. Imho could not be added or modified with any precision.

I hadn't checked but I suppose that being hardened is good news for the longevity of the machine.

It isn't be feasible to make your own collets. However it shouldn't be too difficult to turn a chuck mounting plate with a taper shank and spigot for a slightly oversized 5c. Alternatively, turn down the chuck mounting and add a reasonable thickness sleeve. If you are loath to butcher the one that came with your Rapidturn, they are available cheaply on eBay (3'' x 2'' 5C Fixture Mount Precision Lathe Face Plate 3'' Diameter Steel Collet | eBay or SHARS 3 X 2" PRECISION 5C FIXTURE MOUNT LATHE FACE PLATE NEW | eBay are less than $25.).

Just another possible quick fix. Obviously the best solution is to have Tormach replace the defective spindles.

We all wait on Tormach with bated breath..... Keen

We all wait on Tormach with bated breath..... Keen
    So in the meantime, how are the probes coming along? Cannot wait to order one!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Yup, what he said.
    Lee

Thanks Guys -

I am doing side by side internal detail and material choice checks to establish the very best tweaks. I am waiting on some exotic material from overseas and want to also test that.

Unfortunately this takes time - it will be into next year before I can conclude the very best configuration and start shipping beta units.

I am of course concerned time is dragging by here, but quality and procedure has to come first. This Tormach issue is a timely reminder to never rush a product to market!

Cheers Keen

I am of course concerned time is dragging by here, but quality and procedure has to come first. This Tormach issue is a timely reminder to never rush a product to market!
    Cheers Keen
    Better well engineered, designed and built than well c%%ked up.

Unfortunately, as Keen and others have posted, we have a design flaw with the RapidTurn spindles; they were manufactured without the back bearing surface for the 5C collets. We were made aware of this late last week and verified this week that it is a problem on all the RapidTurns we have delivered as of December 2016.

The problem went unnoticed through internal testing as well as a round of outside beta testing. We’ve tested several units since we learned of the problem and while those units show subtle performance related issues, we do know that some customers units are reporting more noticeable issues.

The omission of the back bearing surface was not intentional. In review, we have found that the back bearing surface was accidentally dropped from the final manufacturing print. We've issued a change order for drawing and this will be corrected for all future units. We're working hard to have new units available as soon as possible.

Tormach is committed to correcting the units that have already shipped to customers. I don’t yet have the full details on how this will be done. We are still collecting information at this time to determine the best way to handle the fix that ensures that the product meets the quality that you expect and the resolution is as efficient and painless as possible for customers. I hope to have a more substantial update shortly.

Unfortunately, this is going to take some time to fix as we have just initiated the process of remanufacturing the spindles this week. Thanks for your patience and rest assured that we are going to make it right. Please feel free to reach out to me ([email protected]) if you have any questions or concerns as we work through this.

Andy
    Andy Grevstad | Tormach LLC
    1071 Uniek Dr. | Waunakee, WI 53597 | www.tormach.com

Sounds like they are going to fix folks up. Thats great.

I received basically the same reply as Andy's yesterday from Tormach.

I know this is going to be a frustrating pain in the back side for the RapidTurn users, but I want to urge patience, I'm sure most of you know it will take time to manufacture and ship replacement parts as well as develop and implement a repair plan. Tormach has always covered their customers in the past, and I know they will again.

Terry

Page 3 of 10 12345