584,874 active members*
4,954 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 10 8910

Re: RAPIDTURN VIDEOS

What are the best steel choices to make the spindle nose plate and other gang tool plates out of?

Do you think 7075 aluminum would hold up and be rigid enough? I've got a few 3/4" plates of that lying around that are almost perfect size.

Hi Advil.

I used mild steel about 1" thick from memory.

Its not that alum is not rigid enough - but best practise is steel or cast iron because it has similiar thermal expansion - alum is much more and in different temperatures tools etc will be in slightly different positions.

Hence RapidTurns diameter inaccuracy issue. But it may not actually be that much depending on your climate etc. and would be ok for less high precision work. Cheers Cliff

Hi Folks

I recently decided to demonstate RapidTurn again so I brought it out of mothballs to do a parts run - this time with auto toolchanging and auto multiple parts.

Here is part 1 (not yet showing multiple parts per setting) - Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-JQFu6iRmA&t=767s

Good informative video. Nifty how you used the z axis as a vertical shaper.

I've learned something from all Keen's videos. Also, I wouldn't have been willing to order a Rapidturn without this much info available. It's greatly appreciated.

+1
    I've also learned lots from Keen's videos

Thanks Guys!

Here is Part 2. Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxSAIzebnZs&t=9s

And here is part 3:

Finish setting up tools - and start on setting tool offsets.

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPo_KK-S1yA&t=1s

And here is part 4 - finish setting offsets and run.

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWcmy9dig5U&t=552s

This video outlines multiparts per cycle. Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEEofg4zp-g&t=5s

And finally, a brief summary.
    If you have a RapidTurn, please post your thoughts and experiences here!

Cheers Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7VcCALjdkg&t=2s

Hi Cliff - Good info and thought process even for those of us that don't have a RapidTurn. I was wondering, though, if you'd ever looked into the InTurn 4th axis system that is described at WebPageMain ?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Hi Cliff - Good info and thought process even for those of us that don't have a RapidTurn. I was wondering, though, if you'd ever looked into the InTurn 4th axis system that is described at WebPageMain ?
    Hi Mike - No I only know a little about InTurn . Any information on it - please post here. For example, how easily does it interface with Tormachs electrics and Pathpilot?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Hi Mike - No I only know a little about InTurn . Any information on it - please post here. For example, how easily does it interface with Tormachs electrics and Pathpilot?

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post

Cliff
    I have an early InTurn from back before PathPilot was out but never set it up as the job I bought it for went away. I'm pretty sure that Steve either has or is planning to support Path Pilot so I may give it a shot again. One minor issue for me is building an enclosure the drive and controls. I usually put off that sort of task far too long, as in this case.

Just received my RapidTurn and it had 2 issues (so far) and 1 that may become a problem:
    1) missing pin/key for the collet. I had a roll pin on hand and installed it myself
    2) bad inductive sensor. Have a call in to Tormach, bet they are slow to respond. I purchased a replacement on Amazon but would rather get one from Tormach that has the connector wired so I don't need to figure it out.
    3) ticking sound that is not 1 per revolution so it may be a bearing ball ??

We'll see how it all turns out when I finally get to cut my 1st part after I fix the sensor

Hello GTOGuy,

I am anxious to read what you learn about the Rapidturn. When did you order yours? Was just on Tormach's web site and they are back ordered. Have followed most of Keen's adventures with same. Need a CNC lathe capability in my shop. Not considering new Tormach CNC lathe cause its too small for the money. (my opinion only) Obviously, Rapidturn on an 1100 has limitations too but I have a full size lathe but would like to be able to CNC a bunch of repetitive small parts with Rapidturn.

Cismontguy

Quote Originally Posted by cismontguy View Post
    Hello GTOGuy,

I am anxious to read what you learn about the Rapidturn. When did you order yours? Was just on Tormach's web site and they are back ordered. Have followed most of Keen's adventures with same. Need a CNC lathe capability in my shop. Not considering new Tormach CNC lathe cause its too small for the money. (my opinion only) Obviously, Rapidturn on an 1100 has limitations too but I have a full size lathe but would like to be able to CNC a bunch of repetitive small parts with Rapidturn.

Cismontguy
    They had a few in stock when I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago so they must be popular.

I wanted a CNC Lathe and am just plain out of room in my garage. I have a large manual lathe that I am not willing to part with so my next best option was for the RapidTurn. It is a bit underpowered I suspect but should allow me to cut threads on Al, Brass, and steel (slowly I imagine) for my many one-off projects. I also sometimes make lathe parts with angles, tapers, and grooves to the CNC capability will speed that up.

Heard back from Tormach right after I posted this (I left a frustrated message about wait times and disappointing start up problems and they are shipping out a new sensor right away. They are very good once you can get them into the problem. I hope the sensor solves the problem as the RapidTurn will not function in SF mode without it. theya also said there is no collet pin/key in their design (even though there is a .125 hole for it in the rear collet support diameter. Never had a 5C collet system with out one but what can I say.......... I put a roll pin in anyway myself.

Page 10 of 10 8910