585,991 active members*
5,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > POST Processor - Based on machine, or CAM software?

POST Processor - Based on machine, or CAM software?

Hello all. I am using AlphaCam and CabinetVision, and have 2 different posts for them. I want to try using VCarve machinist, but they have their own selection of POST processors available. This got me to thinking...is the POST processor specific to the machine (or more specifically, numerical controller), or are there proprietary commands/values in the POST based on the CAM software as well? In other words, do I need a custom POST for every software I use, or will one post that works well work for multiple software platforms? Thanks for the help!

Re: POST Processor - Based on machine, or CAM software?

Each CAM program uses their own format for their post processors. So a post processor for AlphaCAM will not work with Vectric software.
    In addition, the post processor is tailored to the specific machine.

If you have 10 CAM programs and one machine, then you'd need 10 post processors.
    If you have 1 CAM program and 10 different machines, then you'd need 10 post processors.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by thegraz22 View Post
    Hello all. I am using AlphaCam and CabinetVision, and have 2 different posts for them. I want to try using VCarve machinist, but they have their own selection of POST processors available. This got me to thinking...is the POST processor specific to the machine (or more specifically, numerical controller), or are there proprietary commands/values in the POST based on the CAM software as well? In other words, do I need a custom POST for every software I use, or will one post that works well work for multiple software platforms? Thanks for the help!
    It is as said ger21 in a Alphacam and Cabinet vision is advantage that CV use Alphacam for generate NC code. So post have same syntax, but CV has some own rules than must be in a 90 percent other post then for Alphacam.

Marek
    Alphacam post and VBA macros, Autodesk HSM post.
    www.cadcam-softcz.cz

I use Alphacam too and for some reason I need two posts for the one machine.... One for when I add a program stop and one for when I don't. Anyone know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depend on a post writer. Im always recommended one post for one machine. I do not know logic in your post code. If you can send me this i can check it.
    Alphacam post and VBA macros, Autodesk HSM post.
    www.cadcam-softcz.cz