584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fusion 360

Page 1 of 2 12

Fusion 360

I just had a customer give me a job that he drew in Fusion 360 and all I can say so far is "I'm not impressed".

Re: Fusion 360

Not impressed compered to what?

You can't form an opinion of software based on someone's ability (or lack of) to use it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Not impressed compered to what?
    I use Solidworks.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

You have to rember it's just over 2 years old when it's the same age as solidworks comper it then.

If someone has not done it the way it is recommended to do Now useing RULE 1 and the other commonsense ways to use it, A model will be not that good it may just be crap, If it is done to the recommended methods it would be fine.
    A lot of people use it like there other program and they have problem or they will just do something how the heck they wont to use it and wont listen and have big problems.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last I checked Solid works is like 6k$
    You get what you pay for!

Since no one can read your mind, a statement like you have made is essentially useless.

Post #1 and post #4. Not impressed.

I for one have decided to give Fusion 360 a chance particularly because it is free for me as a hobbyist and I really don't have any other option. I have industry experience with CATIA and Unigraphics, and have individual experience with Solidworks, ProE and a few others. I can say that there are things that are different in all of them, but in regard to Fusion 360, I have not found anything that I have't been able to model, and the CAM is easy to use. While not perfect, Fusion 360 is a relative newcomer and has impressed me so far. The price certainly impresses me since I can get CAD and CAM integrated into one package for free. Any other package I cannot afford even just the CAD. I have been using the CAD a friend has at his shop, and was able to get a student license for SolidWorks when I was taking some other courses online, but that is now past history. Fusion is really the ONLY option that a lot of us have and it is very powerful and getting better all the time. More mature CAD systems are obviously going to be better at some things but Fusion 360 ain't no slouch.

I have been using both Solidworks and Fusion for several years now. There are things to like, and dislike, in both. But, in many respects, Fusion is FAR better. The Fusion UI is much more modern, and FAR more consistent. The rendering is MUCH better, and Fusions assembly implementation (using "joints" instead of "mates" is vastly better. Add in the full HSMWorks CAM, and it's really amazing for the money. So far, the primary features I will miss from Solidworks are the sheet metal and mold-making features. I will no doubt continue to use Solidworks for those, but plan to switch over the Fusion for all new designs next year. And I'm not a fan of the "cloud" nature of Fusion, but it really has not been a problem for me.

I signed up for Fusion about two years ago, then they offered a special - $300/year for Fusion 360 Ultimate, as long as you don't let the subscription lapse. And last year they waived the subscription, so I've only paid $300 for the last two year. The net $300 payment comes due in a few weeks. But, that deal was offered only for a very short time, and is long gone. Considering Solidworks cost over $4K for the initial purchase, and ~$1500/year in maintenance, Fusion at $300/year, or even the "full-boat" price of $1200/year for a full subscription, is an absolutely steal. Considering hobbyists and small business users can get it for free, there is no question which makes more sense for most people here.

I'd bet Steve probably hated Solidworks when he first tried it too....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Last I checked Solid works is like 6k$
    You get what you pay for!
    I'm a veteran so I get it for $20.00 per year.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I have been using both Solidworks and Fusion for several years now. There are things to like, and dislike, in both. But, in many respects, Fusion is FAR better. The Fusion UI is much more modern, and FAR more consistent. The rendering is MUCH better, and Fusions assembly implementation (using "joints" instead of "mates" is vastly better. Add in the full HSMWorks CAM, and it's really amazing for the money. So far, the primary features I will miss from Solidworks are the sheet metal and mold-making features. I will no doubt continue to use Solidworks for those, but plan to switch over the Fusion for all new designs next year. And I'm not a fan of the "cloud" nature of Fusion, but it really has not been a problem for me.

I signed up for Fusion about two years ago, then they offered a special - $300/year for Fusion 360 Ultimate, as long as you don't let the subscription lapse. And last year they waived the subscription, so I've only paid $300 for the last two year. The net $300 payment comes due in a few weeks. But, that deal was offered only for a very short time, and is long gone. Considering Solidworks cost over $4K for the initial purchase, and ~$1500/year in maintenance, Fusion at $300/year, or even the "full-boat" price of $1200/year for a full subscription, is an absolutely steal. Considering hobbyists and small business users can get it for free, there is no question which makes more sense for most people here.

I'd bet Steve probably hated Solidworks when he first tried it too....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    You're wrong Ray. I was working in a place that used Solidworks when I was first exposed to it and they sat with me and taught me how to use it. I had absolutely no trouble picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I use Solidworks.
    Steve, with all due respect... and I have great respect for anyone in the industry who has gotten to learn Solidworks but try to see the other side here. I'm not exaggerating when I say this:

I would not even own a Tormach, or even be playing with my own CNC machine or bothering with doing ANY of this if it wasn't for Fusion 360. I would never have pulled the trigger on this whole process with the added expense of Solidworks and it's CAM. Never would have happened. So whether Fusion is as mature as Solidworks or not it's a darn miracle for those of us trying to get in on this reasonably.

I'm a total newbie at milling or machining of any kind and my very first major part after making a set of vise jaws was a very complex piece of titanium that had to be machined from 5 sides with all sorts of 3D toolpaths. Like I said, a darn miracle for those of us who have nothing otherwise.

Be gentle.

I can understand his position but not for any real reasons. This is like anything else. Moving to something you are unfamiliar with and having to "learn" a slightly different approach to doing the same thing always makes people uncomfortable. IE..going from an iPhone to an Android device or switching from Windows to Linux. Everyone complains about how bad it is at first until they learn it then they slowly move from hating it to liking it. Human nature. Claiming Fusion 360 to be a holistically bad platform is foolishness just as it would be claiming Solidworks to be the same.

I was a solidworks user who switched to fusion 360 a year or so ago. Some things are easier in Solidworks and some things are easier in fusion 360. Biggest mistake I made was not switching to Fusion in one go. I was using both programs at the same time. One day I decided I would not use Solidworks anymore as I could not really afford to update it again. The more I use fusion 360 the more I like it. They do regular updates and keep making it better. One issue is habits from Solidworks do not move over easily. Once you start forgetting how you did things in Solidworks and now can think of 3 different ways to do something in Fusion life gets better. A lot better.

The cam for me was the same so that transition was easy. I am now hooked on fusion 360 and can't see myself ever going back to solidworks.

If the file steve got was bad it's ok, If it was good well ok that's not ok.

we don't know so for him if the file was bad what else can someone think, give him a good file done well he might change, it's very easy to stuff something up in fusion depending what it is if it's something that needs trippy's RULE 1 and it has not been done that way, it's going to be a bad file.
    Steve if you need help with the fusion file drop me a pm
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love this topic, reminds me of all the Hillary/Trump fights..

I make my living designing mechanical systems, mostly automated assembly and product manufacturing for the medical device and automotive manufacturing industries. When I started we still used T-Squares and lead holders, although Intergraphics mainframe-based CAD was just starting to get a foot hold. I've used more Cad packages than I can remember.. Pro-Engineer, Autocrud, BobCrap, Orcad, Catia... the list goes on and includes both Solidworks and Fusion. Here's what I can tell you..

they all work.. yes! it's true. If you want to make a solid model of a part to make on your 1100, they'll all do it. Use whatever you feel comfortable using but, dont get smug about it, making a solid model is easy math in programming.. high school kids do it.
    But if you grow up and need to work in the professional world, things get a little dicey. Now you have to worry about assembly functionality, FEA, version control, project collaboration (and I don't mean just emailing your model to a buddy or posting it on some "maker" site), motion analysis.... a long and meaty set of tasks that the big boys require. That kind of environment causes Fusion to choke.. but Solidworks Shines.
    There's a reason the whole professional world has adopted Solidworks as it's standard. It's powerful. It has what real engineers need when working in the professional world. Fusion cant hack it... yet. maybe some day, but not now.
    so, ya wanna make a prototype of your new solar powered, web enabled, green and humane mousetrap? Fusion is great, Solidworks is more than enough.. heck, bust out your sister's etch-a-sketch. have fun.
    But don't think because you got it for free and were able to figure it out, that it's better... it's just "good enough" for you.

Heck, I'm like Steve, I use solidworks for my personal CAD work because it's what I'm comfortable with. If I didn't work in the business I might be using Fusion too.
    Oh, I see often people touting Fusion because it has HSMworks built in.. well guess what, I have HSM built-in to Solidworks.. The folks at Autocrud provide it - no advantage to Fusion for that at all.

OK all you Fusion fondlers.. you may commence flaming...

Oh, I see often people touting Fusion because it has HSMworks built in.. well guess what, I have HSM built-in to Solidworks.
    But do they provide it for free?

The major allure of Fusion 360 is that it's free. If it wasn't, the user base would be 95% smaller.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPlaneDoc View Post
    Oh, I see often people touting Fusion because it has HSMworks built in.. well guess what, I have HSM built-in to Solidworks.. The folks at Autocrud provide it - no advantage to Fusion for that at all.
    I prefer Solidworks (since I get the $20 veterans version for home use). And I like the HSM Works plug in.

....but...

The full version of HSMWorks costs $9000 (or $2500/year). OK, you can get the free version HSM Express to use with Solidworks. But it is obviously missing a lot of features, and only 2.5D.

Fusion 360 is FREE, and has the FULL version of HSM Works built in.

...but it gets even better (worse). HSM Works updates have been lagging the Fusion 360 version by a year or more. A good example is the tabbing feature (leaving breakable tabs behind when milling). Added to Fusion 360 in July 2014. HSMWorks? HSM Express?

Personally, I definitely like Solidworks better than Fusion 360, but the CAM is encouraging me to learn Fusion 360.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    But do they provide it for free?.
    No it's not, nor is it $9K as someone claimed. Still in order to use it for free you have to use Fusion.. thus, you're stuck with it. Fine for the maker crowd, woefully inadequate if you're a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post

Personally, I definitely like Solidworks better than Fusion 360, but the CAM is encouraging me to learn Fusion 360.
    I only use HSM at home and probably not for much longer. It's bass-ackwards methodology is one reason that the pros haven't flocked to it. The open-pockets flow is really wierd, shows the programmers arent really up to it.
    I recently got a copy of mastercam for solidworks.. when I get some time I'll move over to that.
    One thing HSM doesnt have is the option to go to an initial entry point before it it starts cutting/drilling or what-have-you... I added the function to the post but shouldnt have to do that. Seems autodesk is still making autocrud

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPlaneDoc View Post
    I love this topic, reminds me of all the Hillary/Trump fights..
    Hillary and Trump fights get heated, but the biggest online throw down I have ever seen was actually over motor oil. Thread went for like 500 pages over years and there's still no conclusion!

This thread immediately reminded me of it. The hail corporate mentality is for fools and those who fail to explore all options are digging their own grave.

That said, I switched from Solidworks to Fusion about a year ago. I tried OnShape, Siemens NX, as well as a few other products. I chose Fusion. OnShape is basically web based Solidworks, the similarities in function are dreadfully similar. The biggest issue I had with Solidworks was how click heavy it is (and price). I also got saddled over the Solidworks conversion hump where some of my files were in the old format and then were converted when I upgraded. This meant I lost access to the older Solidworks that is in the shop where I do a lot of my work, a big problem if I needed to modify the model. It was frustrating and eventually it really pissed me off. I could go on and on about the pro's and con's of all the softwares I tried, but I eventually went with Fusion because I can install it rapidly across all my computers, OSX or Windows based. The interface is modern and intuitive and vastly less click heavy than many of the other products (reminds of of OSX in this way). And the ability to add people to my projects in an instant is a complete boon, especially when I step into areas of little experience like FEA. And I found the transition from Solidworks to Fusion down right easy, in fact the intuitiveness of Fusion made many actions much quicker once I found all the buttons and got used to program flow. There are things I dislike about Fusion. I wish I could add a machine to the CAM so I didn't have to readjust RPM/feeds/speeds for every single tool (or forget to adjust it). I don't like how the tooling libraries are saved. It seems that they are held locally instead of on the Fusion servers, which means that my tool libraries are constantly out of sync across the 3 computers that I regularly use for CAM. But the Fusion CAM is probably the best I have used. I'm not machining turbine blades or anything overly complex so simple tool paths and quick access and generation takes priority over complex features. Overall, Fusion is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12