585,956 active members*
4,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Second Hand Quick CNC - a few questions!

Hi everyone.

I recently bought a 2010 vintage Jinan Quick 1530 ATC from a cabinet maker in Chicago, and brought it up to our shop in Vancouver Canada to replace an older CNT motion systems 2-head machine. Our company had recently bought a new 1530 ATC from Omni and knew more or less what we would be getting, so bought on Ebay sight unseen. It was a "local pickup" auction, so I flew there to load up the machine.

The cabinet shop was using it a little differently than we will be and because of that and because it's Chinese and these machines are sometimes rough at the edges, I had a few things to figure out. Today I finished re-plumbing the vacuum table from a 1 zone system to a 5 zone system, and figured out why I couldn't control the spindle speed (min and max settings in the control were both set to max!), figured out the tool height settings and acceleration settings earlier and did a bit of clean up and maintenance ( and wire jiggling) that I don't think the previous owner was aware was needed. Overall, it's all good.

One surprise was that my X across the gantry is a ball screw, not rack and pinion, but at least it's a stationary type and seems as fast as I'll need. Another was that the machine is wired for 220v 3ph, but runs the spindle and some other parts at 380v 3 ph with a transformer on the end of the machine and then another in the cabinet to step back down to 220v....it works, but I can only think that was a bit of a mistake in the build.

Anyways, on to the questions! I haven't (yet) tried to find or understand any macros and such that might be on the syntec as part of the system, but I am thinking I may have to.

1) First question / problem
    On the Aux panel, my job/feed start button works, and the feed hold / pause button works, but the spindle stop/start button only allows a stop....so I can pause the motion and stop the spindle....but not start the spindle again (but I can start the motion again....bad combo!)

2) Second Question / Problem
    how do I figure out what each button does or if/where it might hook up to a relay. Right now I/they have the "coolant" button hooked up to what I think was the dust collection circuit and that energizes a contactor that starts the regenerative blower...but hoping to buy another contactor than probably has a 24v DC coil to work with another switch on the machine....or maybe a F key. I would ideally like to have the ability to turn on the vac with an M code if needed and even the coolant code doesn't seem to work, just not sure what pieces there are (macros, PLC bits, physical relays) and how they all work together.

3) Third question / problem.
    The only E stop on my system is at the cabinet and I think I'll want to supplement that with a) a signal from the VFD or spindle that it is powered and turning and b) a perimeter safety wire.....one of my favorite CNT features that was accessible but simply and not easy to trigger by accident.

4) Fourth Question / problem
    My estop also seems to be the only way to put the system into "not-ready" status that allows me to load programs. I haven't got networking going either, but I haven't tried that, and it might help, but for now, I have to hit estop, import file, then pop the estop switch to continue running...seems odd, but maybe it's normal?

5) Fifth Question / problem.I ran one file with rounded corners that were made from lots of little lines....ran terribly (this is in acrylic). Not sure if it's due to some parameter or gcode I didn't use for smoothing out such linearized curves, but it wasn't an issue when I fit curves to the drawing and had g02/g03 codes the next time.....and wasn't as dramatic on another job......wondering if it might not also have something to do with the syntec acceleration parameters being in milliseconds and not an actual unit of acceleration compounded by a sharp motion change making for lots of very short g1 moves.

Thanks for any help! BTW, this is an EZ model controller.

Re: Second Hand Quick CNC - a few questions!

Ok, ok, nothing yet. I'm asking the seller about #4, and will try to set up networking to get around the issue too... assuming that helps.

On issue 5, I seem to be in the "normal" cutting mode, syntec says G64 rather than an exact stop mode. When I look at the sales literature for the model I have, I see reference to a g5.1 smoothing function, which I see nothing else about in the syntec docs, but seems to be a smoothing function of fanuc controllers....Q1 to turn in, Q0 to turn off. Haven't tried that code yet, has anyone else??

Suspect I'm on my own for the other items.....at least we have one new router with a similar controller we can ask questions about....will dig into the system more later once I know I have a good initial understanding and a good backup or 3

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Re: Second Hand Quick CNC - a few questions!

Note to later readers, g5.1 does nothing (other than throwing an error message) on this syntec controller....and issue #4 is what it is, no way around it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk