584,866 active members*
5,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Water Cooled Spindle: Pump & Heat Exchanger Mounting

Water Cooled Spindle: Pump & Heat Exchanger Mounting

I've ordered a 2.2kW water cooled spindle for my new Pro 4824. I'm looking at ordering a Ugracnc 132 gph pump and 2X heat exchanger. They are both 12v dc, so they would require an inverter.

In my research, I've found these mounted on the gantry beam which would eliminate running tubing in the cable chain or suspending above the router. I've also found systems that used a 120v submersible pump with reservoir and a larger heat exchanger with no fan or 120v fan. This would eliminate the need for a inverter however would require more space and more tubing with routing problems.

I would like to hear from forum members that have water cooling, what type of system you have and problems you've encountered.

Re: Water Cooled Spindle: Pump & Heat Exchanger Mounting

I bought the same pump and purchased a small "radiator and fan" used to cool computers. Mounted everything on the gantry and ran a 12v wire from the main control box. I wired it so it's on all the time. That way i didn't need any relays
    or worry about switches. Keeps the motor cool even in 90 plus ambient temps.

Can we get a couple pictures of your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by alevitt53 View Post
    I bought the same pump and purchased a small "radiator and fan" used to cool computers. Mounted everything on the gantry and ran a 12v wire from the main control box. I wired it so it's on all the time. That way i didn't need any relays
    or worry about switches. Keeps the motor cool even in 90 plus ambient temps.

I can send them tonight when I get home.

Perfect! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by alevitt53 View Post
    I can send them tonight when I get home.

I have a refrigeration condensor as a radiator and an aluminium tank of approx 6 litres with coolant mixed in, mounted on the wall behind my machine.
    I am using a 12volt pond pump that starts when the spindle starts (wired into VFD) everything is mounted higher than the spindle so there is no chance of air locks in the system.
    I have fans to cool the radiator but have not mounted them yet as the spindle temperature has not risen more than 3-4 degrees above ambient.
    I am using 10mm nylon tube to run the coolant in a sort of loop from the wall then in the cable chain to Z axis. I have no photos as yet but could get some if needed.

Philip

Here the pictures.
    Running last night for over an hour and the spindle stays cool to the touch.

alevitt53, thanks for the pics. I've considered a similar setup. My only concern was if the added mass on the x axis would cause any problems. How long has your machine been in operation with this cooling setup?

They weigh very little. The machine is up and running for 2 years.

I just have a 5 gal (home improvement store) bucket with anti-freeze ( I know, need to get more environmentally safe liquid) and a big pond pump to make it up the hill and through the
    tubing in the cable chain. On hot days in the summer (110 degrees, uninsulated shop), I put THAT bucket in a bigger bucket of ice.

Didn't realize these other options on the gantry were available, will probably switch over to that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	340416

(and yes, I CNC'ed the roll around platform it)

(and no, it doesn't actually go sideway. Thank you Apple!)