585,880 active members*
6,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > 5 Axis Break Board - Analogic Output 0-10V

Unhappy 5 Axis Break Board - Analogic Output 0-10V

Hello Everybody,
    how are you?

I have just bought a 5 Axis BreakBoard at AliExpress.

The problem is, the manual seems strange!

The Breakboard is this one:
    Attachment 339636
    Attachment 339646

The manual that I got is this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...t_board-EN.pdf

#1: The Analogic Output 0 - 10V.
    There is 3 wires to connect the Analogic Output 0-10V as a RPM Control.
    My inverter has 3 wires... I have another Breakboard that has 3 wires.
    Why this breakboard has just 2 wires?!?!

My another machine pictures about the 3 wires to RPM Control at Inverter:
    Attachment 339638
    Attachment 339640

#2: There is a single pin as "PWM".
    What is it? I think it was about the RPM Control, it should be near at them. Can't understand.
    If this pin as "PWM" is about de Analogic 0-10V output... it begins making sense.

#3: Whats is these pins? Why is there 2 pins "PC 5V". Is this for "power supply" at 5V? (Like wire as USB port)?
    The manual says:
    Attachment 339644
    It means this "5V" pin is the "common" for: Xdir, Xpul. Ydir, Ypul... maybe it is why there is 2 pins! Are them different?

#4:
    If Jumper is disconnected P17 is Bdir! OK!
    If Jumper is connected P17 is Relay?!?! But there is still a pin name: "Spindle ON/OFF".

If P17 is relay, should there is 2 pins, not one!

#5: Is this enable for all drivers?! (Usually there is one "enable" for each driver... my another breakboard is like it).

Re: 5 Axis Break Board - Analogic Output 0-10V

You did well to even get a manual. I had to figure mine out off the photo on the ebay item page. Sadly mine's now buttoned up in my control cabinet so I can't check my vague memories, but...

#1 The three pins will be 10V and ground supplied by the VFD or spindle controller, and a signal line going back to it. The idea is you can put a simple potentiometer on those three and control your speed with that. I suspect the pins on the board are 10V in and the speed out, and you need to connect the ground wire to one of the available grounds on that block of terminals.

#2 PWM - this pin can be used with an earth to drive a PWM input on a spindle controller. It runs through a filter circuit on your board to create that 0-10V output: both are generated by the same pin on the printer port.

#3 The 5V pins are connected to the 5V connector on the USB. I actually ignore the USB connector on mine (which is only for power anyway) and run a 5V power supply into one of the 5V connectors, using the other one as a common +ve for the outputs.

#4 The Pin 17 output is connected to one side of the relay via that jumper, the other side is either +5 or ground (I can't remember which). The idea is that, if you need a relay output, put the jumper in. If you just want another general purpose output signal pin, pull the jumper out and use the P17 terminal normally - the relay just won't energise anymore.

#5 It's just another pin. Run it to all the drivers' enables if you want, or use it for something else and forget the enable. Depends how you map your pins on the PC software (Mach3, etc).

from the PC printerport (or motion controller emulation a printer port

you have 5 inputs ( pins 10 to 13 +15) and 12 outputs (pins 1 to 9 + 14 + 16 +17 )
    all of which are available on the green terminal blocks so you can control six stepper drivers
    if you don't use the relay or analogue speed control

Attachment 339674

the connection to an external 12 to 24V supply thats connected to a 10V regulator
    the 10V output powers the limit switch and the analogue speed control circuit

WARNING
    make sure the input to motor speed control is isolated from the mains !!
    for example the speed control on my CL300M mini lathe is all live !!!
    see speed control pcb for Clarke CL300 lathe | Model Engineer

printer portoutput P1 goes to the green terminal P1 and the analogue speed control circuit - just decide which your going to use

the 5V USB supply used to power the two 74HC245 IC's that buffer the 12 printer port outputs
    - decide which you are using as the common connection to the stepper drivers

jumper to connect P17 to the relay driver
    - remove if you are using P17 to contol a stepper driver , otherwise the relay will buzz and chatter as you control the stepper driver connected to P16 & P17

output P14 they have labled ENABLE but you can deside to use it with P1 to control axis C !!!

John

Thanks for the answers!

I still have some doubts.

If I got it, I can just wire the USB cable to power supply this breakbord from my PC (5V DC).
    If I want to work using a Analogic 0-10DC I must use 12-24DC Power Supply?

with the breakout board in post 1

you need both supplies

the 12 to 24V to power the 10V LM317 regulator used to power the
    the analogue 0-10V speed control
    and the BOB's opto-isolated input circuit -
    depending on the meter used you should get
    8 to 10V between an open circuit input and ground

the USB 5V supply is needed by the IC's buffering the printerports 12 outputs

the board in post 4 does not have the PWM to analogue DC circuit

and all the circuit is powered by a 5V supply via a USB cable or connection to the terminal block

NOTE-
    the second board has a design error -
    the 74HC14 used for the inputs is missing the +5V connection to its supply pin14
    and unused pin13

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-Axis-Breakout.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	339690

John

John,

i'm sincerely grateful for your answer. I'm sorry for annoying you.

When I bought my first CNC I used this breakout board:
    Attachment 339688
    It was so easy to wire. I could power supply 5DC plugged directly into USB port, or wire 5DC at the breakout board.
    It's "why" I don't know why this other breakout board I must wire 2 power supply.

I got it!

John, so give me a help!

My Spindle has a VFD. To turn on my spindle I just send a "signal" to it. There is 2 pins at the front of my VFD, when I wire them just close contact each other the spindle starts running. When this contact is interrupted the spindle stops running.

Attachment 339692

So, where do I wire this 2 wires to turn on my spindle? (I don't need to send any voltage to my VDF. U just need to close the contact).

since I don't have a VFD my knowlege of how to use them is a bit limited but as I understand it

the control circuit is all low voltage and isolated from the mains and motor wiring

this is a lot safer than my lathes speed control !!!!

with a VFD
    you only need two switches for a remote stop/start and forward/ reverse

for CNC control replace the switches by two relays

for a manual remote speed control you need to connect 10K linear potentiometer via 3 wires

for CNC speed control you have the option of either

1)
    a PWM to analogue DC converter either connected to 3 wires from your VFD and is powered by the VFD

or a PWM to analogue DC converter powered by a dedicated DC supply and sends a 0-10V control via 2 wires to the VFD

2)
    send a digital PWM signal to the VFD if it has a PWM input

I guess the question is why the change of breakout board

and what signals do you need to control the stepper motor drivers and the spindle motors VFD

do you have a link to the VFD manual ??
    a diagram of the connections on the blue terminal block will make it easier
    with the diagram of the remote control box

I would expect the new BOB in your first post has inputs that will be less sensitive to electrical noise

John

PS
    this can be a start until someone with more experiance with VFDs post

manual control

Model Engineer

Attachment 339702

possible CNC control version

Attachment 339696
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inverter wiring sketch.jpg