584,842 active members*
4,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Interfacing Bob Campbell's Breakout Board and a HuanYang VFD inverter

Interfacing Bob Campbell's Breakout Board and a HuanYang VFD inverter

In order to upgrade my machine to a HuanYang VFD 2.2Kw water cooled spindle, I need to interface the Inverter to an existing Bob Campbell Combo Breakout board! This board has a built in Spindle interface, but I have no idea how to connect the pins to the inverter!

Inverter connections:
    V1
    DCM
    ACM
    FOR
    REV

Breakout Board Pins:
    1 - +18 dc unregulated
    2 - buffered out1 step
    3 - buffered out2 direction
    4 - PC Gnd
    5 - +12v isolated from PC
    6 - Gnd isolated from PC

I have sent email's to Bob Campbell, but he was no help!

Bob Campbell Combo Breakout board Manual:
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Re: Interfacing Bob Campbell's Breakout Board and a HuanYang VFD inverter

I have never used either the HuanYang VFD or the Bob Campbell breakout board so take this for what it's worth. I have mostly used Automation Direct VFDs and it looks like the HuanYang VFD has a similar interface for analog inputs. After reading through the attached user manual for the BOB, it does leave the user with some confusion as there are a lot of typos and some of the pin information is lacking especially for the analog spindle pins on J2.

Most VFDs have 4 terminals for analog control:
    +10V - this is an internally generated +10V power supply in the VFD. Mostly used for a 10K or 5K potentiometer control or for when your BOB does not have a separate 10V power supply for controlling the electronics.
    VI - This is the 0-10V analog voltage input to the VFD. This is usually the center tap or wiper on the potentiometer. This is where you would connect up 0-10V analog signal from the BOB.
    ACM - This is the analog ground or analog common terminal. It is the common reference for all analog signals in the VFD.
    AI - This is the analog current input to the VFD. This is usually used for 0-20mA or 4-20mA input control.

If the BOB already has a built in 10V or 12V power supply, then you only need to connect two wires from the BOB to the VFD. It looks like the J2 connector on the BOB is for analog control and by reading the manual, it looks like it already has an internal +12V for analog control. This means you do not need to connect anything to the "VR+10V/5V" terminal on the VFD.

BOB J2:
    Egnd - This is "probably" for connecting the cable shield wire to the Earth Ground if needed. However, most VFD's recommend only connecting the shield wire to the VFD chassis ground only. Not on both ends.
    SIG - This is for connecting up your 0-10V analog output voltage which will connect to the VFD's "VI" terminal.
    RETURN - This is for connecting up your analog return voltage which will connect to the VFD's "ACM" terminal.

You may also need to change some of the parameters inside the VFD to change from potentiometer mode to voltage mode. I do not have the manual so you will need to look into this.