585,717 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Nmtb-30 Quick Change Tool Holders

To all those interested, I recently purchased some NMTB- 30 tool holders through MSC. They are made by Accupro and priced from $47 - $57, in sizes from 3/16" to 1". The only issue I have found is the flange diameter is about .140" to large which can easily be ground down to fit the nose cap of the spindle.
    Steve

Can you provide some part numbers? I did a search on the MSC site, and could not find any NMTB 30 stuff. How hard are the holders? Think you can turn the flange O.D. on a lathe instead of grinding?

Thanks,
    Wayne

NMTB 30 Toolholders

Page 1567 for DA holders
    Page 1580 for boring head shanks
    Page 1584 Morse taper adapters
    Page 1585 for EM holders

I have a V2XT that uses these tools. I have a place locally (near Boston MA) where I buy used EM and DA collet holders for $20-25 each. All Erickson.

NEATman

Newby2,
    I did not see any Accupro for the price range you listed. I think you may have ordered the standard import; which has that $40-$60 range.

NEAT,
    Thanks for finding them. Sounds like you are getting a great deal on the used Erickson holders. Does the place near Boston have a webpage?

Snakebit
    http://www.brothersmachinery.com/

You'll need to call about the toolholders. The only reason I'm sharing is that I have all the toolholders I need ;-) - Got real lucky at work - They tossed a complete new set of NMTB 30 toolholders & it even has the R8 adapter also. Does anyone need an R8 adapter for NMTB 30?

Also, if anyone needs BT35 toolholders let me know.
    NEATman

Are you saying it is an adapter to go from an R8 spindle to NTMB30 holder? Or the other way around? If it is the former, I'd be interested.

Brothers is a great place

-Jeff

R8 to Quick Change 30 Adapter

Neatman,

I sent you a private message.

John

Guys all of the import holder I have tried would not work in a QC spindle. Yes you can turn down the outer diameter but the guage line from the taper to the top of the flange is too short. The nut will not tighten down.If you have any extra Erickson's I would be interested. (;-) TP

I was under the impression that J&L bought out the Erickson line, and now sell it under the Kennametal name. Admittedly, I haven't bought any tool holders since the name change, but I note with interest the linked page from the J&L web site:

http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlindu...agenumber=1142

They call these "30 QUICK-CHANGE (NMTB)" and are available from Kennamental and Hertel. The next page shows what the call "30 NATIONAL STANDARD TAPER" tool holders, which have a different gauge length, and are available from Hertel and "Value Import". Note that Herel has different part numbers in each list, so these are indeed different items. They also still show the DA collet chucks as "30 QUICK-CHANGE" on this page:

http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlindu...agenumber=1184

Kennametal brand only. Pricey, but still available.

Dennis

#30 NMTB Quick Change Collet Chuck for DA400 Collets

Just wondering if anyone had any #30 NMTB Quick Change Collet Chucks for DA400 Collets.

Just send me a private message.

Thanks,

John

Found these in a clearance brochure sent to the shop. If the nut doesn't seem to work, remove the nut and use a 1/2-13 drawbar.
    The tool holders are quite hard, and with the nut removed and a drawbar used, they can be ground to size right in the spindle with a little injinuity.
    As for the gage line to the face, remove the 2 setscrews in the cap and they should tighten and work as normal.
    Steve

I have 2 mills with NMTB 30 spindle's in them. I also have a NMTB30 to Erricsson 30 quick change (which the hub is smaller) so my assertion is that a Erricsson quick change 30 will work in a NMTB30 spindle not the other way around.
    archie =) =) =)

NMTB30/QC30 chuck adapter

I have an R2E4 on which I'd like to mount a small lathe chuck in the spindle.

The mill takes NMTB30/QC30 holders. I have plenty of end mill holders, but no shell mill adapters or threaded nose adapters, except a couple of collet holders I'd like to preserve for that purpose.

Anyone have a holder with a threaded nose that will fit a common (say 6") chuck?

I have an R8 to NMTB-30 adaptor (with QC ring, and in very, very nice condition) to trade, if anyone's interested.

LLoyd

Guy out in Washington state bought up several truck loads of tool holders. I've bought several Erickson and NMTB 30 tool holders, as well as a bunch of collets. Most of his stuff is NOS in original box, but he has some used stuff as well. Has about 10,000 items listed, and usually the picture posted is a picture of the one you're buying.

I have a Unimat lathe from the '50s, way too small, and a Sherline lathe, which is still quite small. I turned the flange on the NMTB 30 tool holder down on the Sherline and it works just fine in the Erickson holder on my Bridgeport. But the chips coming off that flange were smoking hot.

Tools-n-Gizmos: New and Used Surplus Machine Tooling