585,728 active members*
4,174 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMERGENCY ESTOP REQUESTED

I have been using Mach3 on a Shopmaster MillTurn for a few years now.* I have not been having any issues with it....* Today, it throws a message "EXTERNAL ESTOP REQUESTED".

It happens when the machine is sitting with no GCODE running and nothing moving.* I checked the ESTOP switches but when they are depressed, the message is "ESTOP SWITCH PRESSED".* It will happen within 30 seconds of resetting it.* It happens in both mill mode and lathe mode.* I have rebooted everything.* Yesterday when I shut the machine down, the PC "hung" while turning off and I finally had to turn off the power switch.* I looked through the configs, but its been a while since I looked at them and I haven't changed anything.

What can cause this message (since pressing a ESTOP has a different message)?* Any ideas as to what it might be?

Thanks,

Terry

Re: EMERGENCY ESTOP REQUESTED

I had the same problem and had to disconect each axis one at a time, run a loop of axis moves until the machine faulted out. My A axis stepper was the problem. This same fault also took out the A axis driver in the Gecko G540 a month before I found the bad stepper. The G540 has protection curcuit and that trips the fault light on the G540. You can contact gecko or use the forum to learn about what's the cause. Gecko took great care of me, they had me open the unit remove the bad driver module and sent for repair. They tested it, determined it to be my fault, that was shorted out, and sent me a NEW driver FOR FREE. They were amazing!

You say you checked the " E-stop switches" - did you install limit switches on the machine? I would check all your wiring in that circuit for loose or damaged wires. Also, the most common problem causing a fault is a loose stepper cable- be sure they are all tight and secured with the screws. Lastly, make sure the parallel port cable is tight and in good condition.

I don't have limit switches or home switches yet.

Does anyone know what condition causes the message "ESTOP REQUESTED". The ESTOP switches create the message "ESTOP PRESSED". The two different messages indicates to me that it isn't the ESTOP wiring...

It happened once today. I started and stopped the spindle and it went away. Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by mccafferty View Post
    I don't have limit switches or home switches yet.

Does anyone know what condition causes the message "ESTOP REQUESTED". The ESTOP switches create the message "ESTOP PRESSED". The two different messages indicates to me that it isn't the ESTOP wiring...

It happened once today. I started and stopped the spindle and it went away. Ugh
    Your problem is the internal fault curcuit on the G540 .Now to verify turn off the power and unscrew all the stepper cables and reconnect one cable at a time and see if it will reset and go green then turn off the power install one more step cable turn the power on and see if the light will go green then add the fourth cable with the power off turn the power on and see if the light goes green if it any point it stays red that is the bad stepper. In my last post I told you my problem. To explain when I contacted gecko drives they told me the inrush current is exceeding the protection circuit and will be updated in an upcoming driver update.

[QUOTE=mccafferty;1966078* I checked the ESTOP switches but when they are depressed, the message is "ESTOP SWITCH PRESSED".*[/QUOTE]

My machine has only 1 E-Stop switch, which kills all power to the machine. Can you clarify if you have more than one switch or are you referring to the main e-stop?
    I think Wreckermech probably has the best diagnosis, but it's important to be clear in your post what switch or switches you are referring to .

Quote Originally Posted by wreckermech View Post
    Your problem is the internal fault curcuit on the G540 .Now to verify turn off the power and unscrew all the stepper cables and reconnect one cable at a time and see if it will reset and go green then turn off the power install one more step cable turn the power on and see if the light will go green then add the fourth cable with the power off turn the power on and see if the light goes green if it any point it stays red that is the bad stepper. In my last post I told you my problem. To explain when I contacted gecko drives they told me the inrush current is exceeding the protection circuit and will be updated in an upcoming driver update.
    I'm having the same problem. I went to the Gecko website and didn't find any info on this problem. Didn't find any drivers, new or old.

Did they give you any idea when the update would be coming out? Do you know how they expect people to gain access to the update?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Did you check your Ports and pins under e-stop? Sometimes this will get switched from active high to low.. I've had this problem in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by aballworth View Post
    Did you check your Ports and pins under e-stop? Sometimes this will get switched from active high to low.. I've had this problem in the past.
    Yea, I have. I've put an O'Scope on the input trying to catch glitches but saw nothing. My gut feeling is Gecko knows what's going on and hence the update. I am disappointed they are not more forthcoming with info.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk