584,808 active members*
5,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to buy DIY parts from inside Canada?

There has to be Canadian suppliers of DIY cnc router table parts. Like R&P, nema motors and other electronics, linear guides, etc.

And at a good price.
    I refuse to think that it's cheaper to pay 30% over list price because of exchange, and hundreds of dollars for shipping and duty and still come out 50% cheaper than anywhere in Canada.

I priced some local to me (Edmonton) rack and linear rails, they wanted $290 a meter for rack, and $370 a meter for round 20mm rail. That just seems ridiculous.

Re: Where to buy DIY parts from inside Canada?

Hi, try snbinc.ca, they don't have everything but some items are reasonably priced.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff0000 View Post
    I priced some local to me (Edmonton) rack and linear rails, they wanted $290 a meter for rack, and $370 a meter for round 20mm rail. That just seems ridiculous.
    For slightly better prices, see Motiontek | Linear Guide Rail Round Bearing Pillow Block CNC Canada USA They want $268 for 2 metres of 20mm rail.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    For slightly better prices, see Motiontek | Linear Guide Rail Round Bearing Pillow Block CNC Canada USA They want $268 for 2 metres of 20mm rail.
    Just seems so expensive. I'll be 1000$+ deep into just rail for a 4x8 machine.

I can get precision ground 25mm round bar here for cheap, but not sure I can just weld some flat bar onto it to make my own rail or not.

The only way to get cheap linear rails is to get them from China.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff0000 View Post
    Just seems so expensive. I'll be 1000$+ deep into just rail for a 4x8 machine.

I can get precision ground 25mm round bar here for cheap, but not sure I can just weld some flat bar onto it to make my own rail or not.
    I would clamp rather than weld since welding is apt to distort the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The only way to get cheap linear rails is to get them from China.
    Even from china I can't find cheap rails.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I would clamp rather than weld since welding is apt to distort the rail.
    Clamp how? I'd still need to have most of the rail clear for the trucks?

I spent $1700 on surplus profile linear rails and bearings for a 4x8 machine. Buying new ones would be about 50% more.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I spent $1700 on surplus profile linear rails and bearings for a 4x8 machine. Buying new ones would be about 50% more.
    I can't find any surplus stuff?

I think that 15mm linear rail would be more than enough. Just seems so tiny with a 300lb gantry.

Checkout makerparts.ca

Linear Rails, Steppers, Wires, Cable Track etc.

The Canadian approach I am taking on a 4x8 is wood. I build all kinds of precision stuff out of ply, very high quality stuff, then I use epoxy to seal it against moisture uptake. I see these crazy builds where guys weld a base table, and attach 80/20 to that, and use that to mount their tracks. It's three tables. I'm going to hardware bond cold rolled stock, like CNC router parts sells, to the wood. I have this basic set-up on my trimaran, and it has been solid for 20 years, outdoors.

Another approach that might work is to build off granite surface plates. They turn up so cheap around here that the guy I bought my last one from bemoaned the fact that they only guy who had offered him a few hundred, on his starret piano sized reference plate wanted it for a woodstove. Too big for an 4x8, I could never move it, but maybe for my smaller table, I might start with a 2x6.

I'm pretty familiar with building accurate fixtures, but the whole CNC part has had me stumped for so long, so while I see no reason why these approaches won't work, I haven't tried them for lack of skill with the electronics. Personally I am sourcing all my stuff from Ebay, or the US, via a ship to the border company for the US stuff.

Oh wait, there's a Canadian clubhouse? How do I become a member?

Yep, with the Canadian dollar so low, it's hard on us.

I am using Bosch Rexroth made in Germany linear rails that I sourced from a guy locally at a good price for my build. If other Canadians want his contact info, send me a PM, I know he still has some size 20 he wants to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomD View Post
    The Canadian approach I am taking on a 4x8 is wood. I build all kinds of precision stuff out of ply, very high quality stuff, then I use epoxy to seal it against moisture uptake. I see these crazy builds where guys weld a base table, and attach 80/20 to that, and use that to mount their tracks. It's three tables. I'm going to hardware bond cold rolled stock, like CNC router parts sells, to the wood. I have this basic set-up on my trimaran, and it has been solid for 20 years, outdoors.

Another approach that might work is to build off granite surface plates. They turn up so cheap around here that the guy I bought my last one from bemoaned the fact that they only guy who had offered him a few hundred, on his starret piano sized reference plate wanted it for a woodstove. Too big for an 4x8, I could never move it, but maybe for my smaller table, I might start with a 2x6.

I'm pretty familiar with building accurate fixtures, but the whole CNC part has had me stumped for so long, so while I see no reason why these approaches won't work, I haven't tried them for lack of skill with the electronics. Personally I am sourcing all my stuff from Ebay, or the US, via a ship to the border company for the US stuff.
    Where are you getting surface plates for cheap in Canada? Where can you get anything machining related cheap in Canada??? I get everything out of the US. I have yet to find anything in Canada as cheap as I can get it online out of the States.

There is a great online store for Canadians:

https://voltatek.ca

You will find a lot of parts for your CNC projects.

I have been using Misumi quite a bit, they ship to Canada with brokerage paid etc.
    The free Catalogue is worth it for the engineering info alone.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltatek View Post
    There is a great online store for Canadians:

https://voltatek.ca

You will find a lot of parts for your CNC projects.
    Happy to see your post, starting my new DIY cnc project (my 9th in the last 10 years) and I'm sure I will give you a try. Before I used to buy everything from eBay (China) - not too bad except the 1 month+ delivery also some from USA. Items south of the border now are too expensive due to transport cost + duties/taxes. Generally Canadians do not have many options! Very sad
    Nicolas

I found a place in Canada called revycnc.com. Looks like they cnc machine most of their parts in house and are adding more items quickly to their shop. I sent an email asking about extrusion and got the response they will be carrying T-slots profiles in the next month.