585,560 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC4020HT Buying Help

Fadal VMC4020HT Buying Help

I'm looking at a Fadal VMC 4020HT. It's $9,500. They say it's fully functional and the spindle and axis' sound good. They'll do a ball bar test if requested. I know nothing about these machines. I run a Bridgeport knee that I converted to CNC about 15 years ago.

1. I guess I should ask is it worth it?
    2. What should I ask or look for?
    3. Are there any upgrades it needs such as something to interface it with a modern computer for uploading of G-Code? I'm just assuming since it's so old that it uses something obsolete.
    4. Bonuses would be rigid tapping and 4th axis wired.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Re: Fadal VMC4020HT Buying Help

if it runs as advertised you're saving like $2k to $6k on the street value of a 4020.

check to see if it has -4 or -5 cards. you will want to upgrade to at least -4 if it has lower number than -4. that'll cost ya $4k or more.

have the ballbar test run. if it has circularity of 4 thou or better its probably fine.

check way lube system!!! holy moly thats important and will reveal a lot about previous owners...

put an indicator on the table and try and move it with a pry bar, shouldn't move more than 0.0003" x or y. this will let u know about the gibs.

pull the way covers off and look at the ways. should be no rust. should look like silvery / no pits, etc. if there is a snake pattern on it the way lube is probably broken / turcite could be bad or close to bad.

run indicator over table while mounted on spindle to check table flatness, should be within 0.003"

run fwd and rev all speeds to see if belts are sh*t. check for pozi drive belts (u want those) vs. 6 belts system. its worth the upgrade if u have 6 belts. that will cost you $1k and a lot of time / learning

see that tool changer doesnt crash at all or look like it has misalignment or slow movement towards the spindle.

spindle should be silent until > 6K RPM, if its loud at all its bad and will cost you $3k

best of luck to you! and congrats if it works out! i really like my fadal machines...

Awesome, thanks for the help. Couple of follow up questions:

1. How exactly should I check the way lube system? If it's not too difficult to explain.
    2. What's turcite? I've seen the term before but not sure what it is.
    3. What would the 5th card be for?
    4. And what about the programming on a machine this old; how do I get the G-Code in there?

that looks like a 1987 or 1988 seeing the Side doors, there is not alot of machines out there with those side doors. Then they went to Pull out side panels. Also looking at the saddle thats what they called a short saddle. So that machine was never upgraded to the Long saddle. They lengthened the saddle for support and also to help protect the Turcite (Tucite is kinda like Bronse infused teflon bonded to the Table, Head and Saddle) a bearing surface anti friction. Comunicating with the fadal is simple through the RS-232 port. Give the control the CD command which preps the input, or better yet go to Calmotion.com and set the machine up to input with USB (easier).

Thanks. I'm holding off for now. Don't have the room or the power. Gotta Call PG&E!

And what about the programming on a machine this old;
    how do I get the G-Code in there?
    Floppy disc, easy, reliable, slow, gets thing done.
    Write this file to floppy, stick it in memory, and run 100percent
    I run this gcode on an identical machine.

The Space shuttle was programmed with fortran APT360, pencils, punched cards, mylar tape.
    That's old,
    Oh yeah this is really old
    we ran Vacuum tube machine controllers 1" mag tape real time . Electric drive first Gen. NC
    Been doing this too long

use Calmotions USB to CNC boxes works great

I'll take a look at it for next time. I've passed on this machine. Too big for my garage.