585,759 active members*
3,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Steel thickness for slats and water tray walls

Steel thickness for slats and water tray walls

So I am planning the build for my water table. I have decided to hold the water and slats in a large steel box
    (5'x10'x8" deep) which will slip into and be supported by the bottom of the CNC table (4 2"x2" cross slat bottom on a 4"x2" frame). The weight of the water in the box will be 2060 lbs and the slats need to support 686 lbs (weight of a 1/2" thick 4x8 sheet of steel).

What steel thickness would you recommend to create the box and how thick should the slats be. I figure the slats ideally would be 2" wide placed on their sides. Any suggestions for painting/rustproofing this thing? Any non harmful water additives that can stop rusting?

Thanks,
    DeviousMW

Water table/slats

Sir,

You could use 11 ga or heavier material for the tank.

As to supporting the workpiece, some make a pair of comb-like slat holders which have the slots cut (for the slats), set at a slight angle, maybe 10 degrees so that the slats always are tipped when the workpiece is loaded, and there is no tendency to teeter back and forth.

The slat holders could be 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick, maybe 8-10 inches high. You might use a large angle iron and cut the "teeth" in it. If you choose to buy the slats from a supplier, they can be 1/8 to 1/4 (or maybe thinner), spaced 4-6 inches. Some guys have the slats sheared from sheet stock. Slats are consumed in the cutting process, and sometimes you can tip them upside down to extend the life before scrapping them.

We used to recommend an additive for cutting tanks, but I don't recall the Chicago area manufacturer. You might call a welding supply distributor, one who deals with cutting machines.

Regards,
    Jack C.

Quote Originally Posted by jcc3inc View Post
    Sir,

You could use 11 ga or heavier material for the tank.

The slat holders could be 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick, maybe 8-10 inches high. You might use a large angle iron and cut the "teeth" in it. If you choose to buy the slats from a supplier, they can be 1/8 to 1/4 (or maybe thinner), spaced 4-6 inches. Some guys have the slats sheared from sheet stock. Slats are

We used to recommend an additive for cutting tanks, but I don't recall the Chicago area manufacturer. You might call a welding supply distributor, one who deals with cutting machines.

Jack C.
    Thanks Jack.. Its difficult to know what strength materials to use without
    a lot of expensive trail and error. This is a big help..

DeviousMW

On my old table I used 1/4" X 2 amgle iron for the burn slats & bolted them in. After they were burned up beyond use I tack welded new 1/4" X 2 strap to them for a second life. After that toss them out & start over. On the new machine I am building I plan on using 1/4" X 3 HR strap placed on edge in the "combs" mentioned by others. What ever you decide, price first. I had planned on using 3/16" X 3 HR for the slats but when I priced material I found the 1/4" to be cheaper than 3/16 or 11 gauge sheared. May be different from your supplier.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Why have the water so deep? My table's waterbath is only 1 inches deep at the most. I have not used it yet though.