584,817 active members*
4,757 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Dmm Dyn4 pmdx126 ess control build
Page 1 of 3 123

Dmm Dyn4 pmdx126 ess control build

I see several people with questions regarding quaity,wiring,etc.
    I work with cnc controls everyday all sorts of brands. I will say that I am overly impressed by the dyn4 drive and motor for the price. I use a 1.8kw for my spindle and .75kw for my axis motors. This control is all 240v except the coil for contactors and cabinet fan is 120v. If I can help with questions regarding your setup I will try to help.

Re: Dmm Dyn4 pmdx126 ess control build

Quote Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
    I see several people with questions regarding quaity,wiring,etc.
    I work with cnc controls everyday all sorts of brands. I will say that I am overly impressed by the dyn4 drive and motor for the price. I use a 1.8kw for my spindle and .75kw for my axis motors. This control is all 240v except the coil for contactors and cabinet fan is 120v. If I can help with questions regarding your setup I will try to help.
    And if everyone follow your example of how it should be done/wired, there would never be any problems
    Mactec54

Amen! Patience,information,studying is all it takes.
    I am a self taught technician programmer builder etc.

From the top.
    IEC 24x30x10 enclosure w/backplate $154.00 to the door a bargain! they are in indiana
    PMDX-126 PMDX-107 wired 240v
    Ethernet smoothstepper 5v power from meanwell psu cat5 pigtail surface mount cable for enclosure
    d-25 breakout boards for drive I/O ebay
    Siemens disconnect switch for main ebay
    Meanwell 5volt power for ess 240v amazon
    Puls 24v psu for I/O 240v ebay
    Gould fuse holders 3amp fuses on each leg of power for drive control to the 3 axis. 1amp for each leg for spindle drive ebay
    Yuca 32amp breaker for rectifier power for 3 axis amazon
    Yuca 20amp breaker for rectifier power to spindle drive amazon
    Electrodepot contactors (schneider eqiuvelent) 18amp for spindle drive 32amp for axis drives 120v coil amazon
    phoenic contact 24v relays for misc I/O ebay
    Axial Fan 120v from amazon
    Cable raceway Ebay
    Misc terminals ebay
    DMM DYN4 750w drives&motors for axis xyz
    DMM DYN4 1.8kw drive&motor for spindle
    Schaffner Noise filters 3amp rating FN610-3/06 Newark element14
    all I/O wiring is twisted pairs shielded cable from epson japan
    FUll draw on this cabinet is 41amps 240v thats all drives maxed out

I may have missed something but I will be creating a schematic for this enclosure that will be included if anyone wants one of these built!
    These drives motors run precision ground 5mm pitch 25mm diam screws with .0001 repeatability at 400in/min rapids not one loss step in between 18in travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161105_115520.jpg   20161107_112129.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
    I may have missed something but I will be creating a schematic for this enclosure that will be included if anyone wants one of these built!
    Great build!!

Will the BOM [most of which has already been stated] and schematic be available as "open source" or are you thinking it will only be available to your customers ... those that have you build one?

Quote Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
    Great build!!

Will the BOM [most of which has already been stated] and schematic be available as "open source" or are you thinking it will only be available to your customers ... those that have you build one?
    The reason I haven't posted the schematic is liability (you must know what you're doing or pay a professional) if someone wants to send me something to attach to it that releases me then I will.

Would this work? https://creativecommons.org/licenses.../2.5/legalcode

6. Limitation on Liability. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
    Edit: wow - this is my first post. I have come here from time to time over the years and thought i had at least posted before. Yay to me!

What are the dimensions of the box you used?

Quote Originally Posted by ghulands View Post
    What are the dimensions of the box you used?
    24x30x10

LtDan,
    What machine do you control with that box? I'm looking to get a PM-940M with the DMM motors - not yet sure on motor sizing for the X,Y and Z.

I take it you're running 120v to your E-Stop button?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ghulands View Post
    LtDan,
    What machine do you control with that box? I'm looking to get a PM-940M with the DMM motors - not yet sure on motor sizing for the X,Y and Z.

I take it you're running 120v to your E-Stop button?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    The 750w would run the 940 just fine except you may need wieght balance for z axis or bigger motor. Estop is just a ground signal.

Just throwing a pic on for what this control build runs Attachment 354344 of course there's still lots to do.

Got a build thread somewhere?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170316_092528.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	355284This is for those wiring 240v to the drives. I have supplied 240v to the main which is black and red and control power the two blue each wire has 120v to ground there is no nuetral being used if you do that you will fry/cook it!!!!!!
    R&S 240v
    L1&L2 240v
    The only ground is on the chassis screw below the screw for the motor ground.
    Follow the print if you dont have 3 phase then it'll just be one less wire to the main power.
    If the wire in the schematic doesnt have the earth/ground PE symbol then it is power.
    The print represents 3 phase 240v power being used. That means measuring across any two should have 240v or maybe 220v depends on what your power company supplies you.

Do you have separate contactors for each drive, or one 32 amp contactor for all four? The manual says to use a contactor rated at 30 amps for each drive.
    I'm currently laying out a control box using four 400watt servos, and was wondering what size contactor to use. The 400w drives only draw 3.5amps each.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have a 32amp contactor and breaker for the 3 750w drives and a 18amp contactor and 20amp breaker for the spindle drive which is 1.8kw all running 240v for main and control power.
    But depends on if your going to use 120v or 240v
    If 240v an 18amp contactor would be fine for 3 400w drives. I would try to get the breaker a little closer like 15amp

LtDan,

I'm building up a CNC router and I have 4 DMM servos (dyn4) - so thank you for the very timely post. I've yet to purchase a motion controller - I've been considering the PMDX-126/ESS or PMDX-424 (all in one) for use with mach 4. Since yours is a recent build - I was wondering if you had a compelling reason <not> to use something like the 424? Features? Speed? After a bit of research one difference that I could see was that the 424 and similar boards from PMDX max out at 100 khz step/dir whereas the ESS goes up to 4 mhz. I don't know if that limitation affects me or not.

This is a first-time build (for me), the router is a cnccrouterparts 12x6, the application is mostly light materials - maybe a very occasional aluminum part. I went with servos (and dmm) because I believed that my cutting speeds will be relatively high... routing wing mold surfaces, foam cores etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and thanks for showing how a control box should be laid out...

T

Yes it does! I run my ess at 2mkz on each axis, this is for accuracy .0001 And the add on speed controller for a second spindle that I mount on the table. My main spindle on the Z-axis is run like an axis/spindle.

Dan, regarding contactor and estop wiring. I will be wiring 240 single phase. That is: contactor to DMM Drive (R and S) 240 single phase as with your red and black. Contactor to DMM logic (L1&L2) 240 single phase with 1Amp fuse and mode filter as with your blue wires. But you indicated that your contactor <coils> run 120V. So the questions become:

1. Are you running single phase 120V (using black and neutral for example) through the contactor coils and an EStop?
    2. (or) Do you have a logic level estop chain connected to a relay to drive the 120V contactor coils?
    3. Are you using the PMDX-126 Estop input (J13 Pin 4 to GND)?
    4. Do you have a provision such that the PMDX-126 can cause the connector to break and then shutdown DMM drives (software fault / software estop).

Todd Wetzel

Yes Todd you are correct on the main and logic power.
    Yes 120v for the coils just make sure you have a dedicated nuetral (white) for this all the way to your main panel in which is bonded with the ground.
    yes this 120v is controlled by a 24v relay controlled by logic in which I use 2x dpdt...latch and unlatch relays and coils. the contactors have auxillary contacts for this. I tie the estop circuit from the pmdx to and the drive fault output circuit. the contactor coils are also controlled by 2 momentary push buttons on the other relay. Buttons (red n green) nc and the other is no this is for drive on off power that way they do not just power up when you clear your estop in the software which closes on your bob output. But even when the green button has been pressed to power them up the estop output fom the bob can interrupt the coil and kill power. Full proof safety circuit. All of my HMI button controls are 24v to keep the high voltage contained in the cabinet. Another way to do this setup is with a etsop safety relay which usually provides plenty of contacts no nc. find em cheap on ebay.I used a couple phoenix contact din relays.
    Hope that explains
    Dan

Page 1 of 3 123