584,319 active members*
6,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Shoptask 2000 modified

Very nice work!

I can’t imagine not having at least one manual mill. We run them with powerfeeds so in most cases it’s much quicker to make parts than to bother with CNC. CNC is great for repetitive production but for a weekend warrior it’s probably overkill. I have some parts I make that are too much a hassle for CNC due to all the positional and tooling changes it’s just as easy to sit there and run the powerfeed levers and make two parts at a time. Unless you can walk away and do another project it really isn’t helping you. Perhaps an ATC would improve some aspects but having to change fixtures 4x an hour doesn’t give you much time to step away anyways. Definitely recommend having a manual version of anything you have for CNC. Presuming you have the available space and funding isn’t an issue.

The one thing I really miss is being able to run the CNC manually, it becomes really a hassle without hand wheels just to surface something or make a simple cut.

Wormwood[/QUOTE]

How has that servo worked for you driving the spindle? I have a 1.8kw just for the z axis screw using a 40mm 2 pitch screw in the one particular mill. Have had thoughts about going to a servo but my vector drive and 3hp 3ph motor has been fantastic 0-8000 rpm and can crawl at hand rotational speeds so tapping isn’t an issue. Not sure I see the benefit at this point but I am considering possibly installing one on the lathe and adding a sub spindle to it. It’s all projects and not enough time right? I laugh when we have shelves full of CNC conversion kits, servos, steppers, ballscrews, drives, etc.., and wondering how many years before all are completed :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
    Here's an update on my mods. If anyone's interested :banana:
    Attachment 354342

Page 2 of 2 12