585,996 active members*
4,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Machine does not remember home position settings

Machine does not remember home position settings

The control is OSP-U10M. Does anyone know why it is that I can set home position and home position order parameters, but they are lost on the next power up?

Re: Machine does not remember home position settings

maybe some are default protected ?

i dont use home positions; the only home that i use is for the tool change, and is included in M6

instead of home positions, i use home planes; this are paralel to table, at a specific Z, over fixtures

like this, my home positions are points spread inside of a safe plane

thus, Z travels are minimezed

in my opinion, a home position is required when the plane @ max Z has restrictions, thus you can not move free inside it; for example a big height setup, that you can not go over, but arround ; in any other cases a home position comes with unnecesary movements, so there are no worries if tool is @ home + tolerance = 50mm

i am not sure, but i think the ipw for home positions may be changed, so to reduce stress on axis when traveling over there

maybe you can edit home positions; i will check this tomorow, so to input them from code / kindly !
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

How soon after you change the positions do you shut off the power? If you cycle the power too soon it will not save it (if you wait long enough it will do the backup automatically). If you want to manually perform the backup, after you change the home position hit the "extend" softkey so you see the "backup" softkey. Hit the backup softkey, then wait until the "BA" clears in the lower left corner (the cursor comes back). Then cycle the power and see if they are still there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cncts11 View Post
    How soon after you change the positions do you shut off the power? If you cycle the power too soon it will not save it (if you wait long enough it will do the backup automatically). If you want to manually perform the backup, after you change the home position hit the "extend" softkey so you see the "backup" softkey. Hit the backup softkey, then wait until the "BA" clears in the lower left corner (the cursor comes back). Then cycle the power and see if they are still there or not.
    I had no idea that this control periodically saves the settings to the non-volatile memory. Backup-softkey did the trick, thank you.

deadlykitten: I have added a home position return in the Mastercam post processor, just before M30. This brings Z up and table to the front for easy workpiece handling. Another home position is for a diamond tip used to "sharpen" (dunno what the proper word is in English) our grinding tool. They are useful.

I had no idea that this control periodically saves the settings to the non-volatile memory. Backup-softkey did the trick, thank you
    me neither ; probably the " Backup-softkey" backups everithing, not only the home positions

well, home positions are not on the program G15H* :
    ... when you use "safe planes", the "plane" is at an absolute value over the fixtures, declared by current H*, so if you change Z for working plane, than the "safe plane" will move with the correction
    ... home positions are not sensitive to curent H*, and this is ok when an absolute position is required, like tool change, or diamond refresh on the other side, "absolute safe positions" is not a must

i also needed an absolute position, right after changing the tool, so to move the tool a bit to right, to avoid smashing it into the senzor actually, i needed not an absolute position, because this means a point, but an absolute line so i keeped in the G15H100 the default origins, and i always activate them only for such jobs so you may also consider a specific G15H* only for such stuff i am not seing that the backup is not ok, but i preffer to trigger behaviours from code, not from external sources

Another home position is for a diamond tip used to "sharpen" (dunno what the proper word is in English) our grinding tool
    please, will you upload a photo with your setup when grinding ? spindle tool stuff + diamond tip in action ? kindly !

maybe you can edit home positions; i will check this tomorow, so to input them from code / kindly !
    hy, pls check attached pack all you can eat

stuff for home position :
    ... in position width > absolute axis tolerance for in position, thus after a home movement, axis will be at home coordinate + tolerance = t; t = ipw <> 0; reducess stress on cnc
    ... linear interpolation > if a home position is not required to be absolute, thus the tolerance t can be much more greater than ipw, like t = 50 mm, than you don't need this; also, if the movement to home is not on multiple axis ( syncro ), than again, you don't need it if a part is big, and you must go arround it, for example, on a diagonal ( syncro, simultaneous movement on more than 1 axis ), than if "linear interpolation" is not enabled, there will be no syncro, or maybe a delayed syncro should i explain this much better ?
    ... system variables so to have more control from code / all the best

ps : stuff is 4 osp300 ; hope it works 4 you

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hy, pls check attached pack all you can eat

stuff for home position :
    ... in position width > absolute axis tolerance for in position, thus after a home movement, axis will be at home coordinate + tolerance = t; t = ipw <> 0; reducess stress on cnc
    ... linear interpolation > if a home position is not required to be absolute, thus the tolerance t can be much more greater than ipw, like t = 50 mm, than you don't need this; also, if the movement to home is not on multiple axis ( syncro ), than again, you don't need it if a part is big, and you must go arround it, for example, on a diagonal ( syncro, simultaneous movement on more than 1 axis ), than if "linear interpolation" is not enabled, there will be no syncro, or maybe a delayed syncro should i explain this much better ?
    ... system variables so to have more control from code / all the best

ps : stuff is 4 osp300 ; hope it works 4 you
    Have you guys used the G30 "Reference Position Return" function .... also called the "Home Position Command"

usage
    G30 P1

the P# contains the XYZAC position for the spindle to return to & controls the order (priority) in the returning action
    - you designate 1 for the Z retract position, & 0 for the others if you just want a Z return, designate 2 for the XYAC for those axes to move after Z is at it's target point

usually G30 P1 is set for the toolchange position
    **** caution ***** if not set, it is usually 0,0,0 which is the centre top surface of your table ***CRASH***

Check of settings is in System Parameters display screen 4 (OSP7000M)
    - you need to enable certain bits to allow changing values & priority, verify that some are not used inside special cycles

turn rapids down and run "G30 P1" in MDI to see if it works

i found a bit wrong to have set up from Okuma the 1st home as a tool change positions

is very easy to edit that value, so to make it vanish, thus a crash may occur, like u said

in my opinion, Okuma should declare some "private" home position, for specific use, that should be kept away from the page of general home positions

those values for specific home positions, like tool change, are also in the "management data card"

i found a bit wrong to have set up from Okuma the 1st home as a tool change positions

is very easy to edit that value, so to make it vanish, thus a crash may occur, like u said
    I do agree that the 1st one should not be used with M6 ... but....

No, It is not "very easy" to edit the values.... just easy to READ them
    - you have to deliberately unlock that area to access & alter the values ... it is stupid for a novice to play in system areas without knowing the FULL consequences... that is why it has a little protection

I had altered P2 & P3 on a horizontal m/c to eliminate rotary home moves.... unaware that they were used for each pallet home before being shuttled out of the machining area .... nearly dropped a pallet off the lift mechanism when it was coming out into the "work load" area
    ( changed it back very quickly )

Home positions that already have values in them should not of course be modified, unless you definitely know what they are there for. But those with zeroes in them are (most supposedly) unused so there would be no harm in changing them. There are 32 of them and most of them are usually empty. Also, G30 P[home position number] won't necessarily crash the machine even if the home position coordinates are zero, unless the order movement values are non-zero (they are zero by default, which means, no movement).

Quote Originally Posted by Superman
    No, It is not "very easy" to edit the values.... just easy to READ them
    i forgot that you can not see my attachements in that pack is the system var 4 osp300 ( read write ) VHPP* [ arg ]

* x y z , etc
    arg - argument : 1 , 2 , .... ; for me 1 & 2 are set for the M6

try another pc superman try acces the ZONE from another location ... i don't know ; maybe there is something with servers arround your area ? contact some guys from here, like forum moderators ?

Quote Originally Posted by myhäje View Post
    The control is OSP-U10M. Does anyone know why it is that I can set home position and home position order parameters, but they are lost on the next power up?
    if you wish, try 1st that VHPP; if it works 4 you, i will deep futher, looking for variables for the " new world order " ( home position order parameters )

i forgot that you can not see my attachements in that pack is the system var 4 osp300

* x y z , etc
    arg - argument : 1 , 2 , .... ; for me 1 & 2 are set for the M6
    try another pc superman try acces the ZONE from another location ... i don't know ; maybe there is something with servers arround your area ? contact some guys from here, like forum moderators ? or broby ?

)
    1] *** It is my choice that I don't wish to see your ravings ( + attachments) ****........ I have you on my "Ignore List", which turns OFF all your posts and attachments.... unless I wish to view it

2] you supply info for using an OSP 300 (probably with user task 2)..... the OP has a U10-M..... this is earlier than your control......& who knows what options....... give the info for him to use HIS machine.....NOT F****EN YOURS

The methods that you utilise to access the system areas is NOT a normal nor supported method..... if you play near the fire, expect to get a burnt finger.
    ( you should know better than most, that highlighting "shortcuts" to bypass any level of safety & security for an operator, is very dangerous...... & I do stress the term.... SAFETY )

You should always maintain a level of restraint on informing how a novice can get into the system areas & end up turning the machine a boat anchor.
    ( the actual procedure is written in the manuals, but it needs to be understood & done by those with a fair bit of experience under their belt )

*** It is my choice that I
    ohh, i thought you had a bad internet conection ... you are so super F

you supply info for using an OSP 300 ...
    if it works on an older control i don't know; that's why i say that the answer is 4 osp300 ; at least this is all i can do

You should always maintain a level of restraint on informing
    this is not communism; maybe that answer trigers a light

what someone does is not my responsability this does not mean that i should give "safer" answers ... someone with less posts is not necesarily a "novice"

and generally, i give solutions in a wide range, simpler or not ; if someone wishes for particularities, he may just ask

The methods that you utilise
    wait for what's about to come i am working on something ...

ps : what is under your belt ?

You should always maintain a level of restraint on informing how a novice can ...
    i just remembered when my dealer was instructing someone about changing live tools on lathe, and he was insisting on not changing them at the "active position", but above

i told him that is better to change at "active position", if M spindle is not blocked ( oriented ), but it can rotate free

the instructor replied that if the operator won't unblock the M spindle, than it may damage it

i asked the instructor if he told that to the operator, and he said no

in that moment i told him to avoid treating my operators like "being stupid"

also, i took down the big plate from the turret front, and i showed him the marks that appear inside the turret when live tools are changed above the "active position"

so i don't restrain info because someone may be novice; i explain; if he can not understand, i repeat ; if he repeats stuff, than i wait ... once a operator was so "away" that he was bleeding when changing tools

after a while, he had an accident, on his way to work, so he was in hospital for a while; after some months he recovered and come back

now is the best operator i have

it proved that at the moment when i hired him, he was stressed from the previous place

also, during hospital, his mind got released, he started to chill out, if you know what i mean

that's under my belt and also others ...

from time to time is good to take a pause, otherwise one may turn into a robot