585,759 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pathpilot & Arduino

I finally got Arduino to work with Pathpilot, maybe its already been done before but it was a fun figuring it out. This originally started in another thread about physical Max Velocity, Spindle, and Feed overrides but I decided to throw it in a new one since I am controlling feed and direction also. If anything it makes for some interesting stepper motor music

More fun to come!

Pete

Re: Pathpilot & Arduino

What is the Arduino for if you got Pathpilot?

Does the Arduino emulate a keyboard/mouse or something more interesting?

I used a Leonardo to add Cycle Start/Pause/Reset buttons closer to my enclosure.

details, please!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    What is the Arduino for if you got Pathpilot?
    Well... Pathpilot stock is great, don't get me wrong, I use it, I love it, its seamlessly integrated with the Tormach products, which have enabled me to do a lot, such as starting my own company. However, once you start running Okuma's, and their somewhat open-source THINC architecture, and Haas with their user friendly controls. You start to see what else is out there, and you blend/develop this idea of the perfect machine. The biggest advantage Pathpilot/Linuxcnc has, is that it is completely open source, its like a playground for guys like me. You can pretty much do anything, in any way you want. I am not loyal to Arduino, however, it is probably the most used DIY developer package out there.... plus I had one laying around from several projects ago. The goal, for me anyways, is to bring a portal into Pathpilot, whatever microcontroller that may be, for my development purposes. It's to make me more efficient, more competitive, and most importantly to bring in more business. When you work in a mold and machine shop, next to guys with Anilams, Bridgeports, and Laguns, you quickly pick up on their methods, and you realize that the conventional CNC machines, even Haas/Okuma and Pathpilot, are missing some really great features for job shop work. So my goals, with the Arduino/Pathpilot for now, are to blend these technologies as much as possible. So I can be an efficient machinist and run an efficient shop. My end goals may not be apparent now, however, I am excited to continue to develop some concepts that may spark your interest in the future.

Thanks,
    Pete
    adaptedcnc

No its not a keyboard emulator, which I think most current joysticks/controllers are doing, I actually was originally going that route. But I started thinking about other projects I wanted to do and ended up going a different direction that allows for more flexibility. A lot of Pathpilot modification, unfortunately, but its fun!

Btw... Tormach/Pathpilot did a great job on commenting in their source, had me laughing several times actually, its worth a peek even if its only for comedic relief!

Pete
    adaptedcnc

Details to come! I want to make sure I am confident in what I am doing first lol

So you wrote a user space USB module like the one for the Tormach Jog Shuttle or...? I'm looking at some of the same needs as you and would love to exchange your ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    So you wrote a user space USB module like the one for the Tormach Jog Shuttle or...? I'm looking at some of the same needs as you and would love to exchange your ideas.
    Actually, for development I am just running serial for everything, similar to what I think Tormach does with their USB i/o kit. It may be the lazy approach, or slower than HAL, but I just can't see myself hardwiring (or upgrading/adding a card) every time I want additional i/o. I'd rather just throw a cheap arduino or whatever at it. Plus from what I am seeing, overrides are all done inside of pathpilot ui, not linuxcnc. I've got all the overrides (maxvel, spindle, feed) all tied to physical knobs now, which was my original goal. I'll get the project cleaned up and in an enclosure and post some video.

Shoot me a pm if you want to exchange ideas, another user has already reached out. The goal with this project is to open the doors for others, especially my own. I am just getting into the guts of linuxcnc and pathpilot... I am sure I still have a lot to learn.

Pete
    adaptedcnc

Quote Originally Posted by petenc View Post
    No its not a keyboard emulator, which I think most current joysticks/controllers are doing, I actually was originally going that route. But I started thinking about other projects I wanted to do and ended up going a different direction that allows for more flexibility. A lot of Pathpilot modification, unfortunately, but its fun!

Btw... Tormach/Pathpilot did a great job on commenting in their source, had me laughing several times actually, its worth a peek even if its only for comedic relief!

Pete
    adaptedcnc
    Now you got me wanting to take some time over the Holidays just to read through the source code. I admire people who code using "real" comment language versus corporate dictated rigidity :-).

One way of using this is: If PP/Linux could send a signal to the Arduino, it moves parts, rotates, whatever, then signals path pilot again to start the next job or repeat the same job.

For job shops you could replace some human interaction with a clever arduino solution. More jobs lost to automation, unless of course you are in the automation business

post the damn sketch!!!

I work on an atc control for the pathpilot and do it also in arduino,.. but it is a lot of work

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I started using LinuxCNC about 7 years ago and was able to get it talking to an Arduino through HAL. I built a pendant I used on a converted X2 mill and continued to use when I bought a Tormach 1100 three years ago, which I'm running on LinuxCNC. I've been thinking of upgrading to Pathpilot and adapting my pendant, but haven't needed to yet.

This page on one of my blogs talks through the creation and configuration of code to get something basic working, once you have this the rest is easy.

https://ckcnc.wordpress.com/basic-arduino-emc-howto/

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    I started using LinuxCNC about 7 years ago and was able to get it talking to an Arduino through HAL. I built a pendant I used on a converted X2 mill and continued to use when I bought a Tormach 1100 three years ago, which I'm running on LinuxCNC. I've been thinking of upgrading to Pathpilot and adapting my pendant, but haven't needed to yet.

This page on one of my blogs talks through the creation and configuration of code to get something basic working, once you have this the rest is easy.

https://ckcnc.wordpress.com/basic-arduino-emc-howto/
    I finally got around to starting the software for the coolant system I've been planning (for ages) and found your blog earlier this week. This is a GREAT resource. It made hooking up the USB the easy part!
    Many thanks
    Step

I've been wanting to mess with/learn about Arduino type projects for years. Recently my youngest son had a need for an *invention* so we got our feet wet.

I'm addicted (still now nothing, but we have done all the projects in the kit and built our own now!)

WW
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

If you're messing around with Arduino-type stuff, I highly recommend the Teensy 3.2 series of Arduino-compatible ARM-based boards. $20, 32 bits, 72MHz, and a lot more everything else. They work with the Arduino IDE and all the stock libraries, but have a lot more power for things that require math, so great for interfacing with motors, touchscreens, etc.

If you're messing around with Arduino-type stuff, I highly recommend the Teensy 3.2 series of Arduino-compatible ARM-based boards. $20, 32 bits, 72MHz, and a lot more everything else. They work with the Arduino IDE and all the stock libraries, but have a lot more power for things that require math, so great for interfacing with motors, touchscreens, etc.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to see if Santa will get me a couple to use for a few projects that are definitely tasking my el cheap-o SainSmart UNO clones :-). Speaking of performance for the $. I've been working on wrapping up a few projects that I wanted real time graphing and remote viewing on the cheap. I have integrated the Raspberry Pi 3...that's a cool platform too :-) if you have different needs.

Unfortunately Teensy support lags new releases of the Arduino IDE by a while and you can't plug normal "shields" on top of their tiny board. But definitely more bang for the buck. The Feather boards from Adafruit also seem attractive.

I encourage that as well.... the Teensy LC is $13 I think and does everything I want it to, plus it has more hardware features such as more interrupts.