586,000 active members*
4,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Advice Needed for New CNC Lathe to buy or Project

Advice Needed for New CNC Lathe to buy or Project

I need some advice from my fellow CNCers out there. For the past 15 years I've been running a Harbor Freight Lathe I converted to CNC. Believe it or not it was very accurate; by the time I was done building it. Now it's starting to wear out and I would like some more rigidity and features.

First option was to build a new one from a nice large lathe, but they weren't meant to be CNC'd and I prefer something that has a tool changer and I'd like to not have to do much building I need to be able to use the machine not looking for a project necessarily.

Next was a Mori Seiki SL1 from 1977. A good option for the price, but we all know those electronics are not going to last very long, plus it needs lots of power I really don't have. So convert it? Too much work and money to get it work correctly.

Another option is to buy whatever I like and pay a small amount of rent at my friend's shop, but that means a 15 minute trip in each direction every time I want to turn something.

Then I cam across this High Precision CNC Metal Lathe Siemens 808D Control I haven't done any research yet and just noticed them. They seem perfect and the price is not bad at all.

I could also do a convert from a large lathe if that's my only option.

What do you people suggest?

Re: Advice Needed for New CNC Lathe to buy or Project

Absolutely buy the packaged Bolton Tools lathe.

My hybrid 12x24" is a high-end one similar to the Bolton Tools in many ways, of similar rigidity (24" vs 40", but 450 kg vs 1000 kg).
    My parts cost, wholesale, is about 8000€ for the conversion alone.

Mine is somewhat better in some ways, but very comparable.
    It would take me, now, 400+ hours to do a good refit to a similar/better level, and the 8k.

I bought Mazak M4 then I retrofitted with servo GSK cnc from Chinese. I change out my M4 spindle motor with lower power 5KW. It cost me around 6000 usd 4-5 years ago. Check here:
    CNC Router | CNC Plasma | CNC Laser

If you can get SL1, that is very good rigid cnc lathe.

asuratman, thanks I appreciate the advice, but if I do that I'm into the project for a minimum of $10,000. And the way machinery prices are I could get a used Haas for $20,000 that would have resale value and do way more than the Mori. These are the dilemmas I'm running into. Hard choices.

Hi we do also similar lathes but I think you may buy the Chinese lathe some questions there which kind of spindles servo etc maybe retrofitting with an Siemens 808d package inkl servos will be Best Buy for you ( they have manual option as well ) or if you are good at electronics get you pathpilot or linuxcnc the mesa stuff some good servos like delta ( where you have support ) but then you are in an project in Europe you would be in hell if you have employees then you need to do ce sign on your own -

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk