585,930 active members*
4,129 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help with capacitor

I need a capacitor for my scroll saw, tryed to look it up on mouser but im not sure exactly what I need.

This is whats written on it.

ADM TYPE
    10uf ±10/5 % 250V.AC
    50/60HZ
    AID ELECT.

it has 2 wires coming out of it.
    if anyone could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

charles.

If it a split phase AC motor, make sure you get Motor-run grade. Mallory and others sell them, you should even get one at your local re-wind shop.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If it a split phase AC motor, make sure you get Motor-run grade. Mallory and others sell them, you should even get one at your local re-wind shop.
    Al.
    Al-

What's the difference between a Motor-run grade and the usual electronics variety?

Thanks

Chris

There is a few characteristics a motor run or a motor start cap. has to have, but especially a motor run, as it is in circuit longer, or continuously.
    Because the capacitor is conducting a fairly high AC current, it can be subject to heating effect so the quality and the nature of the dielectric has to be high quality.
    Also Because it is high level AC the capacitor should posses very low inductive reactance otherwise this will add to the heating effect, modern ones use metalized film and polypropylene dialectric, look for ones that state Low Dissipation Factor,.
    The motor start type are normally in circuit a brief time so the requirements are not so stringent.
    And obviously they have to be Bi-polar type.
    Any capacitor that operates with a high energy AC signal is subject to the same thing.
    Even large capacitors in DC power supplies can suffer from similar effects due if they posses any inductance in the wound foil, although it is DC, there can be a High level ripple voltage and harmonics that can cause heating. This is why in some cases a NanoFarad capacitor is seen in parallel with very large electrolytics, to bleed off the HF.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al, if your still following along i belive i have a starting capacitor (plastic body). it looks like grainger industrial supply has what i need but they dont have the uf ratings listed, instead they use the microfarad rating, is there a way to tell if a 'xyz' mfd rating would work, or to tell the mfd rating of the one that the magic blue smoke escaped from ?

I did check mouser again for mallory capacitors but they dont seem to have one in the ±10% of the one i have.

thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction with your erlier posts by the way.
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by charles wilson View Post
    it looks like grainger industrial supply has what i need but they dont have the uf ratings listed, instead they use the microfarad rating,
    I think you mean is the µf the same as mfd?
    It is the same thing, just another way of writing it.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by charles wilson View Post
    I need a capacitor for my scroll saw, tryed to look it up on mouser but im not sure exactly what I need.

This is whats written on it.

ADM TYPE
    10uf ±10/5 % 250V.AC
    50/60HZ
    AID ELECT.

it has 2 wires coming out of it.
    if anyone could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

charles.
    You can use any 10uf, that means 10 micro farad. As long as it is rated at the 250 volts AC. You can probably get one at radio shack. If not go to any electronics supp;y store locally or on line. These are very common parts. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one. A motor repair shop should also have them.