585,754 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > How do I make these things? (General machining questions)
    CNC Brute Guest

How do I make these things? (General machining questions)

Ok, normally I can visualize things pretty well, but here's where I am having trouble.

1. How you machine a square hole in a block of aluminum?

2. How does knurling work?

3. I've seen 1/2" plate aluminum with 8-12" holes cut in them how do they cut a hole this big?

4. I haven't gotten there yet, but how you get something to .001" of tolerance? It seems to me you can't do it.

5. How do you cut a "ring" (think lathe) around a cylindrical object that is only .062" wide? Isn't that the thickness (roughly) of a bandsaw blade?

6. How do you taper? Especially on a lathe. Crank both handles at the same time?

Thanks guys

As in all things, there are many ways to skin a cat. My first advice is to find a hands on course for basic machining, mill and lathe.

1. How you machine a square hole in a block of aluminum?
    Drill a hole and broach it, drill hole and saw it, drill a hole and file it, there is even drills that will cut square holes.

2. How does knurling work?
    You use a knurling tool that has rollers which is forced into the material to cold work the surface into a pattern.

3. I've seen 1/2" plate aluminum with 8-12" holes cut in them how do they cut a hole this big?
    Mount it to a face plate on a lathe and bore it, use a rotary table on a mill, drill a hole and saw it, use a cnc mill.

4. I haven't gotten there yet, but how you get something to .001" of tolerance? It seems to me you can't do it.
    Its easy with good tools, .0001 is tough.

5. How do you cut a "ring" (think lathe) around a cylindrical object that is only .062" wide? Isn't that the thickness (roughly) of a bandsaw blade?
    You grind your cutter to the size groove you want.

6. How do you taper? Especially on a lathe. Crank both handles at the same time?
    Use the compound rest set at angle, use a taper attachment, use a tracer attachment, use a cnc lathe, hang a stock between centers and offset the tail stock.

This is just a few answers to these questions, there are many more. After 30 years I still find new ways of doing things.

Gary

A good place to start out is this website, I read this thing a few times before I placed my orders.
    http://www.mini-lathe.com/
    heres for the homier lathe:
    http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...er2/Homier.htm
    they also have different mini mills reviewed.

Jon