584,800 active members*
4,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs
Page 1 of 2 12

I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Hi everyone, any tips or help would be great. Thank you very much. Picture and model are here. I also have the .stl if that is better to work with.

Re: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Hi PoolRod2...

There were some edges not joining up when converted to a solid.
    You can download the solid file here:

http://www.ted-kyte.com/download/Guitar Neck SOLID.zip

Hope this helps you out...

Ted
    Ted
    http://www.RhinoCanada.com or http://www.ted-kyte.com

Hi Ted, thank you for trying. It needs to be a complete solid, so I can pull toolpath geometry from it. This is the wireframe. Would an stl file work better for you?. I put .stl and.stp files in the latest zip. Thank you for your time.

That file I sent should be a solid, it loaded into Solidworks as a solid...

Ted
    Ted

Hi Ted, when you open it in Solidworks, and run the mouse around it, it has trailing rectangles, not a solid. Thank you very much for trying though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled 2.jpg  

Hmmmm...
    Well it is definitely ok in Rhino, maybe looses something in the translation.
    Try this .SAT file it appeared to import fine.

http://www.ted-kyte.com/download/GUI... Solid SAT.zip

Ted
    Ted

Still no luck, thank you for the efforts, Ted. When highlighted, it looks like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    Still no luck, thank you for the efforts, Ted. When highlighted, it looks like this.
    The file opened as a solid on my Solidworks. There's surfaces there for your toolpaths.

If you're looking for someone to remodel this in to a "clean" lofted model you're in the realm of paying a designer for several hours of work. I do luthiery for a living.

Hi Warren, the solid has broken surfaces as shown in the pics, they could be selected for toolpath, but they over run the areas that don't need surface cut. No true wireframes can be extracted either. Thank you for the help.

Hmm... when I first saw this thread, I thought you just needed someone to use JoinEdge on the four surface edges that weren't joined when importing the IGES file into Rhino.

After seeing a few responses, it looks like we're having an issue with a multi-surface format like IGES, and a NURBs format like Rhino.

When Rhino imports the IGES file, it's going to be a bunch of surfaces. And it sounds like you want one one smooth surface instead of many small surfaces that when joined together, form a large polysurface.

Unfortunately, you cannot do this with just a few clicks. You're going to have to use those surface edges as guides to create a new surface in Rhino that's continuous and smooth. Even if you manage to succeed at this, it will not be 'exactly' like the imported IGES.

As warrenb mentioned, this falls into the realm of 'Hire someone to create it for you' or 'learn how to use existing geometry as the basis for a new model'.

If I were getting paid to recreate this, I would use some of those spiderweb-looking surface edges to create some lines along with the Duplicate Edge command, Section Command, and ExtractIsocurve Command... and then either Loft, CurveNetwork, or Patch single surfaces until I get something that resembles the original work, and then join those surfaces into a polysurface.

It's not simple work.

I wish I could pay someone, this is killing me,lol. I tried Catia, Solidworks, Meshcam, Spaceclaim, Freecad, Hypermesh, Designspark, Mastercam, Geomagic Design X, Solid Edge and Rhino, all I need is a solid from an stl to get true solid wireframe from. Thank you all, you guys rock for trying. Happy New Year.

Great website, Ted.

I think I'm getting worse,ha ha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MESH.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    I wish I could pay someone, this is killing me,lol. I tried Catia, Solidworks, Meshcam, Spaceclaim, Freecad, Hypermesh, Designspark, Mastercam, Geomagic Design X, Solid Edge and Rhino, all I need is a solid from an stl to get true solid wireframe from. Thank you all, you guys rock for trying. Happy New Year.
    Solidworks 2016 handles it just fine. It IS a solid. See attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toolpath.jpg  

Hi Warren, my Boeing shop I currently work at doesn't have Solidworks, and my home student is 2013. I like the end of that were the mesh was removed, some kind of pinch tool?. I need to machine it without surface cutting the whole thing, just surface the small radius to the head, and the back of the neck and foot transitions. Pics below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails completed top.jpg   Completed Bottom.jpg  

Poolrod2,

Have you looked at Meshlab?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FAE3EB5734126E

MeshLab

Please let us know if this provides a solution.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Poolrod,
    This is too easy,
    I do not understand how there is any problem with doing any part of this project,
    The profile is only lines and arcs.
    Is this a standard 6 string neck ?

(on Fiverr.com there are many cad jocks willing to do a proper cad model)
    Been doing this too long

Thank you, Jeff' It looked like Reconstruction with Poisson would have worked. but it isn't in the newest version of Meshlab. I made it worse trying though, ha ha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meshlab practice.jpg  

You are a true artist at this, Bos, you offered to help me for cash; and time is money for sure. If I wanted this for making a neck to sell, I would be happy to pay you. You are a good man. Happy New Year.

Here is the Scanned model again. Thank you, everyone for working on this and sharing ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12