584,837 active members*
5,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Generating Contours for Free Milling, Elucad HowTo?

Generating Contours for Free Milling, Elucad HowTo?

Hi first time poster here so hate to jump straight in with a question that may seem obvious, i work for a aluminium fabrication company and theyve let me loose on the CNC, unfortunately with limited training im struggling with something that should be rather basic and hope someone can solve this, im using the elucad software with the SBZ140 cnc from elumatic.

short version is when im prepping a profile using varying cutters todo slots holes etc its not a problem, it goes through the cnc generation process i open the job up on the machine and it runs fine, now what im trying to do is be more creative using the cad editor ive made a random shape which opens fine on the elucad software and it goes over to the machine however when opening the job on the machine side i get an error

(CONTOUR ISNT AVAILABLE OR IS DEFECTIVE)

when trying to import a DXF or anything basically that isnt a horizontal slot or circle i get the same results, any help is appreciated, ive tried reading through the literature that i could find but cant seem to understand the issue with this thanks kindly for any help.

PS ive attached a few images to explain my problems

Re: Generating Contours for Free Milling, Elucad HowTo?

so you're using milling import and it wont machine the shape you have there? I notice all your tools are set to automatic. Perhaps it would work if you set them. I too am a elucad user. not too familiar with the milling import function though. Ill check it out on my end as well, also running 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Andersonjakem View Post
    so you're using milling import and it wont machine the shape you have there? I notice all your tools are set to automatic. Perhaps it would work if you set them. I too am a elucad user. not too familiar with the milling import function though. Ill check it out on my end as well, also running 4.0
    that'd be great if you could help on this. as i said im just picking bits up as i go. As for the milling import. Well when i select dxf import it brings up the built in cad editor which after making my shape or selecting an existing section dxf and click the apply button it returns to elucad and has it down as milling import. the interesting bit i noticed was if i selected drill/slot or circle etc then there is a little icon that says "generate contour" i thought this might be what i was missing but with the milling import theres no such option 1 of the pictures shows this. ill change the tooling 1st thing in the morning and see if that changes anything.

Hi again, just got back into work and changed the tooling from automatic to a set tool, same results.

**Update**

still no closer to getting this to work, however i just noted that if i alter the working side* (the face im milling) then i get the exact same error, ie in elucad you get the options of front/back/top/bottom you can set "Free Plane" so i can come down at a 45 degree angle for prepping purposes, again no error until its sent over to the machine and i get the error regarding the contours :-/

Try exporting to DWG DXF, format.
    some older versions strip curves into line segments which may go into the software you have.
    I can export to acad r12 and get lines from curves
    Been doing this too long

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Try exporting to DWG DXF, format.
    some older versions strip curves into line segments which may go into the software you have.
    I can export to acad r12 and get lines from curves
    tried that one. you can convert polygons to lines which imports each small segment individually but still get the same error when sending it to the cnc

Please post the file ?
    Splines to polylines to burst poly discrete line segments to dxf .
    I do this for the laser engraving guy and waterjet.
    These are all parametric or cubic splines, Nurbs is ya got-um
    with the year2000 old software.
    Been doing this too long

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Please post the file ?
    Splines to polylines to burst poly discrete line segments to dxf .
    I do this for the laser engraving guy and waterjet.
    These are all parametric or cubic splines, Nurbs is ya got-um
    with the year2000 old software.
    please find attached the generation files, the save files, all exported file options and a few screen shots
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, I looked into the zip and cannot find a file to open such as a dxf.
    This software seems to have a different file structure exclusive to itself.
    Been doing this too long