585,749 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    I have a trial version of Rhino now, but still don't know how to turn my scanned 3d model into a solid. Thank you all for your efforts so far.
    As we have said. IT IS a solid. You can use it as any other solid in solidworks. Trim your corner off and the offending geometry will vanish. You tabs can be added with extruded sketches.

If you want this recreated without the surface patch and don't know how I am a professional designer and design guitar necks and bodies all day long.

Re: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

I have a trial version of Rhino now, but still don't know how to turn my scanned 3d model into a solid. Thank you all for your efforts so far.
    Try the Drape command. That will give you a NURBS surface that will be much easier to deal with in Rhino than the meshes you've got. Once you've draped it, intersect it with a plane and Split both of them. Even if it won't join together into a solid, it will let you create curves on the surfaces that you can use to reconstruct your geometry and generate new surfaces using Loft, NetworkSrf or another surfacing command. If you construct those correctly, they should join up to form closed polysurfaces.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi Andrew, I'm no good at this,ha ha. I had a real neck scanned,it took 4 hours to create the mess, and am trying to use the .stl or .igs to make a solid to machine it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck defeatured.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	342774

Iges file in zip

I may try and copy the back surface from the scan to the defeatured model, the scan is actually very good.

Scott

That would be perfect, if you can do it, Scott. Thank you very much.

Very nice, I use Catia Solidworks and Mastercam. I tried Geomagic to fix my model, but failed.
    Well, I used Geomagic a few years ago for my hobby (I tried with my son to turn our hobby into a small business but it didn't work out). I could help you with the problems you have, PM me, if you want.

Have a look at the iges.Attachment 343038 The blended surfaces at each end are put on by the guitar maker, usually on a belt sander. So once I have those features on I will upload.

That is hard core belt sanding torture !
    to blend those.

Another thing what about a defined stock neck contours. ?
    After the neck plan view, heel and headstock,
    I use these shapes and two thickness dimensions to define full contour as a ruled surface.
    lastly are the blends which are dependent on these shapes.

The heels and headstock do not change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails neck shapes a.JPG  
    Been doing this too long

You guys are great.

Will Catia do this, using Digitized Shape Editor and Surface reconstruct?.

Page 2 of 2 12