584,812 active members*
5,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs
Page 1 of 2 12

I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Any tips or help would be great. I tried Solidworks and Catia with no luck. Files and pics are attached. I need the model clean, to pull toolpath geo from it, and to pick surfaces separately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg   Untitled3.jpg   Untitled 2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: I need help making a digital scanned .igs part turned in to a solid .igs

Try this

No luck as a solid, thank you for trying though. Same as pics below.

I just used it as a solid in Mastercam Version 6 what version are you using
    Did you import it as a solid

Select the option box on the import and select solid

Open this new .rar I saved it as a Version 5 .MCX it should open in your Mastercam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bot.jpg   top.jpg  

Thank you again for trying, I could machine this as you did, if I wanted to run all hemstitch, but I would rather just hem the middle radius and head/foot transitions. I use both MX5 and MX6. Here is the result of trying to pick just the radius, it won't work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guitar help.jpg  

you can try the software Geomagic Studio. the software good at repair and rebulit the mode .
    To be first brand CNC Router Manufacturer & Wholesaler Platform

Thank you for the info, Jack.

I have used Mastercam a few times to evaluate it and I believe you may want to use the solids features and not the wire mesh.

In Soildworks the model imported fine with 1 face repaired, I used Camworks 2016 multisurface and added all the surfaces and the simulation worked fine.

To rid the model of all the triangles you will need to use software such as GeoMagic or recreate the model in Solidworks. A new surface model can be created in Solidworks using the stp file, but it will require some 4 or 5 hours of work removing the rolled over edges to create the new boundary edges to redo the surface.

If you need the neck separate, that can be done in Solidworks using the split feature with ease. If you like, I will do that for you, just provide the distance from the bottom of the neck to the split.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ab.machineshop View Post
    I have used Mastercam a few times to evaluate it and I believe you may want to use the solids features and not the wire mesh.

In Soildworks the model imported fine with 1 face repaired, I used Camworks 2016 multisurface and added all the surfaces and the simulation worked fine.Attachment 342542

To rid the model of all the triangles you will need to use software such as GeoMagic or recreate the model in Solidworks. A new surface model can be created in Solidworks using the stp file, but it will require some 4 or 5 hours of work removing the rolled over edges to create the new boundary edges to redo the surface.

If you need the neck separate, that can be done in Solidworks using the split feature with ease. If you like, I will do that for you, just provide the distance from the bottom of the neck to the split.

Scott
    What Scott said. If you don't want a model with the geometry you have you need to recreate it.

It is still a water tight solid. Set your filter in SW to select "solid bodies" and you'll see the whole model selected.

I had no problems throwing a toolpath with MCAM, HSMworks, or BobCAM

Thank you Scott and Warren, I could almost use the model as is, but it will be cut on a router and need tabs holding it in the wood block as shown on this test model I made.

I am doing a guitar neck also, same tabs scheme

You really need a surfaced solid model, the surfaces drive the cutters, those triangles don't "cut it"

Do a proper 3-D cad model, then you can have flexibility to change contour on the neck.

Model in parts , heel, neck contour, headstock, then blends start with basic taper from heel to nut

About 3-5 hours of CAD work. easy stuff....
    Been doing this too long

I can do this send P.Message or call 619-200-7203
    I am gettin billet necks ready for 2017 NAMM
    Been doing this too long

Hi, I agree, I made a model to try and get as close to the real on that I had scanned, but couldn't get the neck transitions correct. The top of this this all contour and pockets and just hemstitch on the radius step down. Then contour on both ends and hemstitch the neck. A very simple process on a router, use shoulder bolts to hold it, cut the top, rotate 180 and cut the bottom. Same xyz, same cutter except for the truss rod pocket. I wanted to get the real neck a solid, and just swap them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old model.jpg  

Rod, What machine and CAM software are you going with? Your model can be easily used.
    cut with planes, create splines, verify, to meshes. to make true machining surfaces,
    and a profile and thicknesses, contour of choice.

How is this for a solid model. ?
    I mean to say solid 5/8 plate, aluminum, .025 thick machined to inside.Same weight as maple.
    Been doing this too long

Here is a screen shot which shows the error of scanning.
    The " lumpy " contours ath the left end translate into sloppy parts .
    So with this rough data one can approximate "real" curves here Arcs
    And perfect curves try Shoulder RHO value curves and Cubics.
    This old software has all this .... Makes beautiful parts
    Been doing this too long

Very nice, I use Catia Solidworks and Mastercam. I tried Geomagic to fix my model, but failed.

you can convert it to a solid with Fusion360
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes it converts, but still cannot machine this corner.
    This part area is lines, and arcs.
    Just blast out a correct model and cut
    Been doing this too long

I have a trial version of Rhino now, but still don't know how to turn my scanned 3d model into a solid. Thank you all for your efforts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    Thank you Scott and Warren, I could almost use the model as is, but it will be cut on a router and need tabs holding it in the wood block as shown on this test model I made.
    Just extrude some sketches in to the solid. You can use this as any other solid.

Page 1 of 2 12