584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > ActuaL Hp For Phase Converter

ActuaL Hp For Phase Converter

Im looking To buy a phase perfect converter and not sure what hp to get for a 2016 haas vf2ss. I've heard of people running as low as 10 hp and the haas rates their motor like a hand router.. A 20hp perfect phase is $4600 plus shipping. That's a lot of money and I have no plan to run more than one machine off it and want to know what's the minimum that will work.

Re: ActuaL Hp For Phase Converter

I have the 20HP perfect phase for my '15 VF-2 and it runs fine although I'm not hogging with it. Not sure what your work load is going to be on it. I can't imagine using the 10HP unit. When the spindle ramps to max after a tool change it definitely pulls some serious amperage for a few seconds. I once caught the LCD showing 71A on the wild leg, obviously a peak because I'm only feeding it with 100A panel. Without a heavy spindle load I commonly see 16-20A on the LCD (only shows amps for the wild leg, highly recommended tho because at least you can see something). I don't use the coolant pump or 4/5 axis so pretty minimal config with a 15K spindle. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyMan View Post
    Im looking To buy a phase perfect converter and not sure what hp to get for a 2016 haas vf2ss. I've heard of people running as low as 10 hp and the haas rates their motor like a hand router.. A 20hp perfect phase is $4600 plus shipping. That's a lot of money and I have no plan to run more than one machine off it and want to know what's the minimum that will work.
    You need more Amps/ Hp than just what your spindle is rated at, 10Hp is never going to run one of these machines

You look at the what the machine Power requirement's are, it seems if your spindle motor is 20Hp the machine needs 40A, 3Ph at 240V supply, if you have the 30Hp spindle you need a 80A supply

Just a phone call to Haas, and they will tell you what your Power supply needs will be
    Mactec54

Well those are the specs from installation manual. In my experience, the reps of all companies seem to be afraid to make clean cut recommendations probably because of liability. It just seems that they would want to test different converters to see the potential problems they cause to their machines and perhaps partner with some good brands they were happy with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HaasPower.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmax View Post
    Well those are the specs from installation manual. In my experience, the reps of all companies seem to be afraid to make clean cut recommendations probably because of liability. It just seems that they would want to test different converters to see the potential problems they cause to their machines and perhaps partner with some good brands they were happy with.

The Phase Perfect units, put out better cleaner Power Supply, for machines like this, then what the power company can supply, so anyone that can spend the extra dollars for a Phase Perfect will have nothing to worry about, this is really the only unit to consider for new CNC machines, the manufacture would also have zero problem with these Phase converter
    Mactec54

The units can supply a surge for about 5 seconds. For example, I think the 10hp unit can supply a 150a surge. I have a 10hp for my 1996 vf2 15hp, and have never had an issue. I don't do heavy cutting though.

I wouldn't try the 10. If you can afford the vf2ss, whats $4600? It'll be cheaper than 3 phase installation and use anyway.

Might want to figure in some capacity for the new compressor/dryer too

LazyMan

did you ever figure this out? im in same boat.. your inbox is full by the way.

Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmax View Post
    Haas does not want to test phase converters to run their machines off of, primarily due to liability. They are building machines for industrial shops running 3 phase power. Standard household power was never intended to be running a 30HP machine plus a 5HP compressor. Do people do it? Of course! Do people do it safely? Sure! Just check with someone savvy enough with electrical to make sure your household single phase has enough amperage to run it. If not, maybe consider a machine with less HP or even one setup to run off of single phase power. The base Mini Mill and Mini Mill 2 machines are configured such that you can run them off of both single phase and 3 phase power.

In any case, should you determine you have enough incoming power to run the 30HP machine plus the 5HP compressor, go for it! But I would tend to agree with what others here have stated, if you can afford a brand new VF2-SS at a price quickly approaching $90,000-100,000, what is another $4600? If you are financing the machine over 5 years, that should add about $50 to the monthly payment. And since you were looking at a unit 1/2 the size anyway, you are really probably looking at a difference in payment of $20-25. Spend the extra money and set it up correctly.

Our VF2-SS has the high voltage transformer in it because our shop is powered with 480V. On the 480V side, the mill pulls all of 35-40 amps, depending on the leg checked, when spooling up to 10K+. On the single phase side, I am going to guess you are going to need at a bare minimum of a 100 amp service, just to run the mill. Depending on the compressor you are running, well, the 5HP Ingersoll single-stage we started with pulls 22 amps. With any other household appliances, lights, etc., running in the background, I don't think I would even try it unless I had a 150 amp service coming to my house. And even then, I would check with an electrician to see what they say.

Good luck to you! I hope everything works out for you!

Mike