585,930 active members*
3,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Mini Mill Coolant Pump Issue

Haas Mini Mill Coolant Pump Issue

I have a 2011 Mini Mill, in the last few weeks I noticed that sometimes the coolant pump (not high pressure) wont turn on when the code indicates it should. This appears to be completely random on when it happens, it never seems to miss the command to turn off, only turning on seems to be an issue. The issue with the pump turning on is affected by g-code or by the control

I feel I am generally pretty good at resolving issues like this however understanding how the motor receives the command is stumping me. What I know so far,

The motor is brushless 220v single phase. The pump plugs in to the side of the mill using a round plug with 3 prongs. The confusing part is, the pump has 220v running to it all the time, as soon as the mill boots up the outlet plug shows 220v. However with 220v being fed to the pump (from this plug) the pump does not kick on until the coolant button is pressed on the control panel or instructed to do so in g-code. There are no other wires going to the pump motor nor does it appear to have a circuit board of any type.

I cannot figure out how the motor gets the signal to turn on when the motor has 220v all the time. Does anyone have an experience with these that can shed some light on how this works as well as if the issue is likely the motor or internal to the mill?

Thanks

Keith

Re: Haas Mini Mill Coolant Pump Issue

The 220V you are measuring at the plug is from the few milliamps of leakage current from the SSR in the panel. It is not actually on, as soon as the load (the motor) is connected to the plug the voltage would read 0V across the load.

I wonder if the processor is missing the M8 buried on a line with a bunch of other code. Just for fun, try adding a line in the G-code with just the M8 on it, just after the original M8 line. See if that helps.

LockTech

How do you have the M8 placed in your program, this is most likely the problem, just as Jim has said, place the M8 on a separate line and all should be good
    Mactec54

I do not have the M8 on a separate line as you can see from the example below.

N17 G43 H7 D7 Z1. M08 ;

I'd be happy to try that, however can that still be the issue even when pressing the coolant button on the control panel doesn't work either after the M08 in code failed to start the pump? If I continue to let the program run and start pressing the coolant button repeatedly it will eventually turn on after its been pressed several times, sometimes up to 20.

This sounds more like an electrical problem with this additional information. I would start by replacing the coolant pump relay. You may be able to check it by measuring the output voltage to the pump, with the pump connected. I don't know if Haas uses SSR's or electro-mechanical relays, but based on your previous post I'm going with SSR's. It could also be just a loose wire, so checking connections might be in order.

Jim,

Thanks, that does make sense. I'll do some checking on the relay and get back to you. Thanks for the suggestions.

keith