585,973 active members*
3,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > UC300 ETH stepper drive connections
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: UC300 ETH stepper drive connections

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello Gerry and A_Camera,

5-Axis CNC Interface Adapter Breakout Board For Stepper Motor Driver Mach3 USB | eBay

I read on their manual, it works only with windows XP, it doesn't work with windows 7 64 bits. Which MS Windows run your system CNC BOB with ? If using ethernet cable on UCC300ETH, since the notebook maybe too far from the BOB, can we use external switching PS 5VDC connect to BOB's USB ?
    The BOB you linked to looks exactly as the one I am using. The BOB does not require any operating system but requires the signals. Since you connect the UC300ETH between the PC and the BOB you don't need to be concerned about the windows version, as long as you follow the specifications of UC300ETH. I have used Mach3 with Windows XP Pro, Windows 7 Pro 64 bits and now Windows 10 Pro 64 bits. All work well but W10 is the best in my opinion.

You need to connect the BOB to the UC300ETH with a short parallel cable (IDC 26) and connect the longer Ethernet cable between the laptop and the UC300ETH. Just make sure you know what you are doing. For new code or for a person just starting with CNC hobby it is better to have the machine within reach and under observation, very near the PHYSICAL emergency stop button. If the PC lose contact with the UC300ETH you have no control and if the CNC runs away it may destroy itself or cause damage. Also make sure no human or animal can come near the machine when you are not there. Bits can come flying like a projectile in any direction and also if somebody puts his/her paw on the running CNC table some very serious accident might happen. A running CNC, even a weak and small one, is a very dangerous machine and you must treat it like that all the time.

The UC300ETH and the BOB can share the same +5V but yes, both must be connected to +5V
    Can we use 5V DC phone charger ?

I have used power supply charger phone

Attachment 347410

I can imagine you have to use external PS such as phone charger, since your notebook maybe too far from your BOB. So which BOB you use?

That depends on the charger... I would not use a cheap crap, but have used a few Samsung original chargers for different things, and they provide nice and clean 5VDC at the specified current. I checked a few cheap crap and they showed serious noise on the output voltage and also not able to maintain the voltage at the specified current, so I would not use those.

Quote Originally Posted by walkit View Post
    I have used power supply charger phone

Attachment 347410
    Have you checked the output voltage? I mean, that looks like a cheap transformer able to deliver at most 300mA... well below what is necessary for the UC300ETH, especially if you plan to use many inputs and outputs. That picture typically shows a solution which is going to cause trouble at one stage. If it is really a phone charger than it is already a regulated 5VDC output, so what is that piggy back regulator on to of it? To me that looks like some sort of a universal battery charger, most of them don't even have a proper rectifier circuit inside.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I would not use a cheap crap, but have used a few Samsung original chargers for different things
    Hi A_Camera ,yes I'm agree in total, so I have used a panasonic power supply, My old picture posted of plug adapter modify is only for make understand and for example view.

I have also take the BOB mensioned by Gerry , now I need understand how to assemble all together with motors , drivers and control cnc. Have you a sample scheme for link all?

Ciao,
    Sorry, I don't have any sample schematic other than what is delivered and can be found on eBay or elsewhere on the Internet. I don't know which BoB Gerry recommended to you, but if you look for that BoB I am sure you will find a wiring diagram for it.

Hi All

I have the UC300ETH and similar breakout board as in GERS photo, I have set up the connection with PC and tested using Utility and all looks good. I'm having trouble getting any signs of life from the BOB. I haven't received the serial number for my software yet so am just running in DEMO mode. Im wondering whether this is limiting communication? Or should I keep looking for another problem?

I'm not getting any blue light on the card, is this due to the lack of license?

Cheers,
    Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Travspad View Post
    Hi All

I have the UC300ETH and similar breakout board as in GERS photo, I have set up the connection with PC and tested using Utility and all looks good. I'm having trouble getting any signs of life from the BOB. I haven't received the serial number for my software yet so am just running in DEMO mode. Im wondering whether this is limiting communication? Or should I keep looking for another problem?

I'm not getting any blue light on the card, is this due to the lack of license?

Cheers,
    Travis
    The UCCNC software is not going to move any steppers or lit the blue LED unless you have a license file. It is very strange that you have the UC300ETH but don't have the license file. Contact CNC Drive via mail or through their own forum, not here. The license is just a file which you have to save in the UCCNC folder and you should have received that file by e-mail before you even had the hardware.

However, if you have Mach3 you can download the free UC300ETH plugin and run the hardware with Mach3.

Thanks A_Camera..

I too found it strange that it didn't come together or prior to the controller. I have contacted Balazs and am eagerly waiting a reply.

On the plus side everything maybe set up correctly and waiting to go, just need that license file now......

Cheers
    Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Travis,

If you have not done that already, you should register on forum.cncdrive.com since that is the place where new releases are published. Balazs is not active here any more, but is very active on his own forum, so if you have a support question or looking for a test release than that's where you'll find him and his test releases.

Hi Travis,

If you have not done that already, you should register on forum.cncdrive.com since that is the place where new releases are published. Balazs is not active here any more, but is very active on his own forum, so if you have a support question or looking for a test release than that's where you'll find him and his test releases.
    Thanks mate,

He replied this afternoon with the license and all is working now. I still have to finish my machine and controls but it's great to see motors spinning....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally have run the UC300ETH without bob 5 axis, It work fine , also the motors run up..
    But when I connect the bob ST-V2, not response any command. The two led red them are light.
    I have try many sets, but not work .
    What set I need use on Mach3 -> Config--> Port & PIN menù for test this BOB together with UC300?
    thanks

I finally have run the UC300ETH without bob 5 axis, It work fine , also the motors run up..
    Some clarifications please... Did you run the UC300ETH and Mach3 and connected the stepper drivers directly to the UC300ETH and it worked?

But when I connect the bob ST-V2, not response any command. The two led red them are light.
    I have try many sets, but not work .
    ...and when you connect the stepper drivers with the BOB it does no longer work? I guess many things can be wrong, the BOB, the wiring, the cable between the UC300ETH and the BOB, the configuration... and many other things.

What set I need use on Mach3 -> Config--> Port & PIN menù for test this BOB together with UC300?
    thanks
    I guess that the settings should be the same as when you connected the stepper drivers without the BOB.

I don't know that ST-V2, is that similar to the one in this picture?

Attachment 386062

Perhaps you plugged it into the wrong port of UC300ETH? Did you read the manual?

A_Camera,
    Right, that is ST-V2. The same brand as mine.

You need to use Port 2 or Port 3.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Some clarifications please... Did you run the UC300ETH and Mach3 and connected the stepper drivers directly to the UC300ETH and it worked?
    yes, I have make a flat connector with end a terminals and wired drivers pins 123456. Also e-stop to pin 10, them work.

...and when you connect the stepper drivers with the BOB it does no longer work? I guess many things can be wrong, the BOB, the wiring, the cable between the UC300ETH and the BOB, the configuration... and many other things.
    yes, not work, I have only a dubt on the pin sequence on the connector LPT male by ST-V2. Can you place here the schematic numbers pin picture ? I have two cards ST-V2 same, them same not work

I guess that the settings should be the same as when you connected the stepper drivers without the BOB.
    yes, same for me, I think

Attachment 386062

yes is her.

Perhaps you plugged it into the wrong port of UC300ETH? Did you read the manual?
    yes read , port2 is right

If you plugged in to port 2 and used the ribbon cable which came with the UC300ETH then it should work without problems, assuming you have configured right and nothing wrong with the ribbon cable or any other connection. I don't have a schematic to post, there is no need for one, just plug the BoB into the UC300ETH using the standard IDC26 cable and you should have no problems. Don't forget that the BoB needs a power supply also. Minimum for functionality is the 5V via USB, or 12V via the screw connectors.

yes I have powered with USB cable in bundle BOB. But I can also use the 12V screw terminals and disconnected the USB cable, work also ?
    I have try with original flat, two different situations I see,
    1st try: I have put on --->set port & pin ----> input signal ---> E-stop port 2 , pin 10 then also to 15 pin , active Low ON. when I switch for e-stop emergency, not change any , no leds power. The RESET push not work and the led green is fixed light .
    2st try: all sets same top but to E-stop , I have change active low set to OFF. When I switch E-stop emrgency the emergency activate the bot leds emergency and reset lighting , but pushed botton reset not change any.
    I have set also the menu, port setup & axis selection to PORT#2
    When I connected the flat plug LPT from UC300ETH, the led power up on BOB is one.

Page 2 of 3 123