584,865 active members*
4,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

vertical cnc router

Hello,

I am in the process of making a new vertical cnc router . Now I have a problem when buying servo or closed loop stepper motors.

I wonder if this stepper motors will be okay:
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin

or this servo motors:
    High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin

are the stepper/servo motors which I have suggested strong enough to vertical move approximately 15 kg (5 kg spindle + stepper(3,8 kg) / servo(4kg) motor for the Z axis + 5 kg Y axis trolley) and still had enough reserves so I can have a acceptable cutting speed (3000 mm/min).

thanks for the help

Jaka
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails technical_data_stepper.pdf   cnc.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: vertical cnc router

An interesting router design, I've never seen one like it. Please post pictures as you build the machine.

If I have a choice, I will always go with a servo system. I think your motor choices will have plenty of power to do what you want. Maybe using a 2:1 timing belt reduction will insure that you have enough torque, without sacrificing speed. Stepper motors are rated at holding torque, which drops off rapidly as the speed increases. DC or BLDC servo motors are rated at maximum torque and have a more flat torque curve over the operating range.

"An interesting router design, I've never seen one like it"

@Jim Dawson...Then you have been snoozing....

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-wo...ter-build.html

are the stepper/servo motors which I have suggested strong enough to vertical move approximately 15 kg (5 kg spindle + stepper(3,8 kg) / servo(4kg) motor for the Z axis + 5 kg Y axis trolley) and still had enough reserves so I can have a acceptable cutting speed (3000 mm/min).
    Calculating the correct motors is a bit more complicated.
    1) You'll likely have to move at least 3x as much weight as you think, as the spindle and motor are not floating in air. The assemblies that they mount to will have a considerable amount of weight, if they are rigid enough.

2)The linear motion components have a lot to do with the choice of motors. Will you be using ballscrews, rack and pinion, or some other method. Different methods can require different motors, or different gearing.

3) 3000mm/min is not an acceptable cutting speed for wood. At a minimum, I'd suggest designing for at least 5000-8000mm/min.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ger21

Y axis (vertical) - I'll use a ballscrews with a step of 10 mm
    - Between the ballscrews and motor There Will Be a reduction ratio of 1: 2

X axis - I'll use a ballscrews with a step of 5 mm
    - Between the ballscrews and motor There Will Direct Drive
    - I'll use two motors and two threaded spindles

Z axis: - I'll use a ballscrews with a step of 5 mm
    - Between the ballscrews and motor There Will Direct Drive

3000 mm/min is the minimum which I would be satisfied with.