584,829 active members*
5,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > What is your Machine Shop policy on food and drink on the shop floor?

What is your Machine Shop policy on food and drink on the shop floor?

Hi Everyone,
    This could be a touchy subject to some and a no brainer for others...
    I work in a shop that machines parts for mostly medical and aerospace industry. I would like to know what is the current industry standard for manufacturing on having any food or beverage in the shop? How is it in your shop?
    Thanks for any comments.

Re: What is your Machine Shop policy on food and drink on the shop floor?

I'm a Safety Coordinator for a machine shop. ISO 9001 certified. I just made a rule that there is no food on the shop floor. Drinks are ok.

What types of liquids are ok? (water, coffee, tea, soda)
    Must they be covered? Difference as in an open can of soda vs, plastic soda bottle with screw-on top?
    Since you have just implemented this rule- How did you roll it out to the employees, and how is it going?

small shop. 40 employees. i called everybody to the cafe for a meeting. Told them. Lot of complaining at first. Now a month later its been fine. Drinks i just left it open. Realistically the should be covered. I'll get to that one later. One thing at a time as far as things people dont like go.

I have seen a few shops buy their employees a nice cup with lid and company logo on them. great idea for sure solve two issues the crying and if a customer comes in it looks good.

I can't see any possible reason to remove food or drink from the floor . If a guy is sitting at his bench with a pizza in front of him then that's one think , but a guy is chipping away at a sandwich while getting work done is another . It beats them disappearing from the shop floor and hiding throughout the day .
    I had a company come down to the floor and announce that we were no longer allowed to have coffee at our machines . They were fine with the fact that everything was layered in cutting oil but coffee was a concern and didn't seem professional to the od customer who would tour the shop every couple of months . Others as well as myself were/are heavy coffee drinkers , and the company immediately lost some of it's top employees without hesitation .
    I'd suggest that if you need to apply such rules then it may be worth considering the effect that it will have on the overall morale on the floor , because it may be counter productive . If a company gives something to the employees then it is usually appreciated and becomes expected (other hand , some guys are never happy with anything you give) . Take something away from employees and they will Never forget
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

We do have varying degrees of "clean rooms". All of which food is restricted. At that point there is finger pointing from the restricted areas and non-restricted areas. Very hard to please everyone, but trying to be fair. Whenever there is change there is tension.

Most of the machine shop policy nowadays is to provide an healthy enviroment since aside of the terrible food they used to sell they are also very packed and it provokes allot of littering around. I used to have some vending machines near my coffee shop back in Ohio however I decided to remove them and settled myself to sell and provide peoples with only warm freshly cooked food that I managed to prepare with the help of https://www.thewindupspace.com/best-...for-gas-grill/.