584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Large Scale 3D Printing

Does anyone here have experience with large format 3D printers like the Cincinatti BAAM at ORNL or the Thermwood LSAM? I've been working with smaller scale 3D printers for years, and have been keeping myself up to date with the desktop market, but I haven't come across many discussions about the super large scale 3D printers, especially anything getting into the more technical aspects of their workings. These machines look pretty awesome from the marketing videos on youtube, but I'm curious what they're really like to program and operate when the cameras are off. I know I've had my share of print failures on a much smaller machine, and there's been a ton of work that's gone into software and hardware to get printing to the level its at now. I'd love to get a conversation going about what it takes to print the kind of large parts these machines are capable of, especially around the use of screw extruders and pellets instead of using filament like all smaller FDM machines are using.

Re: Large Scale 3D Printing

I've been up close with the ORNL machine. Can't help much other than it has a little actuated tamper to kinda squish the layer down.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I've been up close with the ORNL machine. Can't help much other than it has a little actuated tamper to kinda squish the layer down.

I guess when the layers are that thick it becomes necessary to have a device like that. Did you notice if they use a heated bed or if there's any special material that they print on? I heard a rumour that they don't need a heated bed to print but there must be some technique to keep everything laying flat. I would imagine there could be a lot more stress created with super thick layers that could hold a lot more thermal energy if they don't cool evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't notice a heated bed. I don't think it was. The material was infused with I believe carbon fiber, so not your average home material. Kinda reminded me of a dog dropping a duece on the lawn. Big ugly layers, lots of grinding and finishing.