584,802 active members*
5,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

Benchtop Pro 2x3

I've been looking at the CNCRP Benchtop PRO for some time but held off because it seemed to be available only in a 2x2 foot cutting area. This seemed to be a little small for me. About two months ago, I wrote to CNCRP and asked if the kit could be made available with a 2x3 foot cutting area. I was delighted to hear that it was and promptly placed my order understanding that there would be about a two month lead time.

The kit arrived yesterday and I thought I'd start a build thread. At CNCRouterparts suggestion, the kit was shipped on a pallet by UPS freight. That meant that it had to be picked up at a UPS terminal. Although each box was "UPS legal", by shipping on a pallet, there was less chance that a box and its contents could be damaged. Here is a photo that Cory sent showing the boxes on a pallet before shipment:

Since I have a day job, my 4'11" wife picked up the shipment in our minivan. The UPS guys were great and loaded the boxes in the van for her. They all had no damage! I had no trouble moving the boxes by myself.

The contents of each box was securely protected. Here are some photos of the boxes and the included padding. Every part of the router looked to be pristine condition without any shipping damage.

It going to take some time but I started putting things together tonight. I had previously made a stand and the last photo shows what I have completed so far.

Christmas festivities will slow down the build but I'll continue to post as I get more done. Comments much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 161220-1a.jpg   161220-2a.jpg   161220-4a.jpg   161220-7a.jpg  

Re: Benchtop Pro 2x3

Mounted the Z axis today. Took some head scratching to figure out out to insert the two top bolts securing the z axis to the gantry. No big deal because a zillion people have done this before but it took me a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 161221-2a.jpg   161221-3.jpg   161221-2.jpg  

Got off work early today so was able to get a bit more assembly done. The motors are attached and connected to the CNCRouterParts "Plug and Play NEMA 23 System". It was quite easy to download Mach 3, enable the license I bought from CNCRP, configure it for the Benctop PRO router , and set up the Smooth Stepper driver. The machine now runs!!!! I'm currently using an old lap top but think I'll get a small desktop and separate monitor soon. Sadly, I received an extra power cord but was short 3 proximity switches and cables (they packages do look a lot alike). The cable track for the 3 foot axis is a little short and I didn't realize that one of the connectors had to be reversed (easy to do) so I got to speak with Cory for the first time (very nice and helpful). A few more links of cable track and 3 proximity switches and cables are on the way. He told be how to reverse the connector on the cable track. The motor cable to the Z-axis is just a little short so, when I purchase the spindle mounts from CNCRP, I'll order a longer one. Here's some photos:

Finished building the kit today. Waiting for three more proximity sensors and cables and a few links of cable track to really complete everything. I'm really impressed with the kit's quality. Except for my confusion about reversing one end of one cable track, the instructions were clear and easy to follow. The photos show the completed kit with CNCRP's "Plug and Play NEMA 23 system", the extra materials that were sent that were not required for the assembly, and the few tools I used to put everything together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 161224-2.jpg   161224-3.jpg  

Got to work on the router yesterday. Mounted a Taig spindle (temporarily) and got it to run under Mach control. Made a modification to the adapter from my small router for the Taig mounting plate to fit the metric extrusions in the CNCRP kit. Here's some photos:
    Attachment 344990 Attachment 344992 Attachment 344994

Got and installed the missing parts from CNCRP. Enabled the limit switches and established soft limits. Feels much better knowing that I'm not going to slam the router to the end of its travel. Also put the "Plug and Play NEMEA 23 System" on a hinge to better reach the various plugs on its bottom.
    More photos:

Attachment 344996 Attachment 344998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161231-6.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	345000

Slow progress. Got the tubing fittings figured out and water circulating through the spindle for 12 hours with no leaks. Sadly, the cable I ordered is too large so will order the appropriate size tonight.
    Attachment 346014

Installed a shelf for my portable computer and permanently attached the e-stop
    Attachment 346016 Attachment 346018

Cleaned up most of the wiring (the bundled wires are covered by a plywood shelf seen off to the left)
    Attachment 346022

Made the connections for two 110 volt circuits and one 220 volt circuit (the other two boxes on the left will receive 110 volt imput from the two relays)
    Attachment 346024

2.2kw gmt spindle from ugracnc?

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    Slow progress. Got the tubing fittings figured out and water circulating through the spindle for 12 hours with no leaks. Sadly, the cable I ordered is too large so will order the appropriate size tonight.
    Attachment 346014

Installed a shelf for my portable computer and permanently attached the e-stop
    Attachment 346016 Attachment 346018

Cleaned up most of the wiring (the bundled wires are covered by a plywood shelf seen off to the left)
    Attachment 346022

Made the connections for two 110 volt circuits and one 220 volt circuit (the other two boxes on the left will receive 110 volt imput from the two relays)
    Attachment 346024

1.5 kw from ugracnc. Also a Delta 1.5 kw VFD and a small pump and radiator (all with different tubing sizes) from ugracnc. McMastar-Carr had the required adapters and hose clamps. Hose clamps not yet installed.

I'm about to get their 2.2kw option. What adapters did you need to buy? Can you take a closeup picture of the ones the spindle comes with?

1.5 kw from ugracnc. Also a Delta 1.5 kw VFD and a small pump and radiator (all with different tubing sizes) from ugracnc. McMastar-Carr had the required adapters and hose clamps. Hose clamps not yet installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ericclinedinst View Post
    I'm about to get their 2.2kw option. What adapters did you need to buy? Can you take a closeup picture of the ones the spindle comes with?
    Have another thread going about this here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...ml#post1982812

Got the spindle working a couple of days ago. Today, I mounted the spindle, the water pump, and the radiator on the router. The spindle is not yet under Mach 3 control. There is no switch to remove 220v power to the VFD. Would that be a good idea?

Here's a photo:

Attachment 346732

I really stressed about what to use as a coolant fluid. I finally decided to use fluid produced by Thermaltake for liquid cooled computer systems. I hope it will work out OK. It comes in a number of vivid colors. I chose orange for no particular reason.

Attachment 346734 Attachment 346736

Is the spindle mounted too close to the table?

Attachment 346738

Looks great. On the spindle height, if you raise it up some, it will give you more clearance on thicker items. Having it lower like this also limits the length of tool you use. This can be important when working with stuff thicker than sheet goods.
    Lee

Little more progress:

Moved the spindle up and attached a Kent-CNC dust shroud:
    Attachment 347474
    Still have to work out a way to manage the dust collection hose

Finished the wiring:
    Attachment 347476
    The four outlet box on the left is the output from relay 1 in the CNCRP control box
    The next four outlet box is 120 volt circuit #1
    The next four outlet box is 120 volt circuit #2
    The next two outlet box is the output from from relay 2 in the CNCRP control box (the dust collector will plug in there)
    The next covered box contains a 120 volt relay that activates when the relay 1 in the CNCRP control box is activated and shorts the connection between "Mo" and "ground" of the VFD to turn the spindle on
    The next slightly higher box houses a double pole switch that turns both legs of the 220 v circuit to the VFD on and off

Here's a better picture of the VFD and the switch:
    Attachment 347482

Still have to put a cover over the high voltage wires:
    Attachment 347484

Like for the control wiring on the other side:
    Attachment 347486

Looking great!

If I could make a small recommendation on the 220v switch. Flip the switch so that when it's in the ON position, the switch is actually down. That way if something inadvertently falls or hits the switch from above it won't turn your spindle off. Don't ask me how I know..... hah

Little more progress:

Moved the spindle up and attached a Kent-CNC dust shroud:
    Attachment 347474
    Still have to work out a way to manage the dust collection hose

Finished the wiring:
    Attachment 347476
    The four outlet box on the left is the output from relay 1 in the CNCRP control box
    The next four outlet box is 120 volt circuit #1
    The next four outlet box is 120 volt circuit #2
    The next two outlet box is the output from from relay 2 in the CNCRP control box (the dust collector will plug in there)
    The next covered box contains a 120 volt relay that activates when the relay 1 in the CNCRP control box is activated and shorts the connection between "Mo" and "ground" of the VFD to turn the spindle on
    The next slightly higher box houses a double pole switch that turns both legs of the 220 v circuit to the VFD on and off

Here's a better picture of the VFD and the switch:
    Attachment 347482

Still have to put a cover over the high voltage wires:
    Attachment 347484

Like for the control wiring on the other side:
    Attachment 347486

Quote Originally Posted by ericclinedinst View Post
    Looking great!

If I could make a small recommendation on the 220v switch. Flip the switch so that when it's in the ON position, the switch is actually down. That way if something inadvertently falls or hits the switch from above it won't turn your spindle off. Don't ask me how I know..... hah
    Greatly appreciate your suggestion. Didn't consider something hitting the switch.

Cobbled together a dust hose management system. Don't think I'll keep it like this for long but want to get started actually using the machine.

Here's a photo:
    Attachment 347568

. . [snip]. . Don't think I'll keep it like this for long but want to get started actually using the machine.
    Looks good to me!! Nothing wrong with 2x4's and Zip Ties.

Even though I roughly centered the Z axis on the gantry, I just discovered that the extreme left travel extends beyond where I intended to stop the spoil board and the extreme right travel doesn't quite reach the end of the intended spoil board. Here are photos of extreme left and extreme right movement on the X axis:
    Attachment 348220 Attachment 348222

I checked and the Z-axis is roughly perpendicular to the table:
    Attachment 348224

There is a little room to shift the Z-axis a bit to the right and I'll do that. However, looking at the alignment got me to think about how a larger cutter could ding the Y axis extrusions. For that reason, I'm plan to double the thickness of the spoilboard to 1.5" unless someone has a better idea.

Got a spoil board mounted. Not real happy with the design. While it is thick enough to protect the Router's aluminum extrusions, it has two big proglems: 1) the recessed steel bolts could be hit by a cutter (best solution I can think of is to replace the steel bolts with plastic ones) and 2) the poor design requires that the entire spoil board be replaced when there is no longer enough thickness in the top MDF sheet to flatten out the accumulated dings. Some photos:
    Attachment 348298 Attachment 348300 Attachment 348302

at least it works:
    Attachment 348304

Page 1 of 5 123