585,922 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Ge Fanuc 16-M Recently shipped. All axis need ZRN

Ge Fanuc 16-M Recently shipped. All axis need ZRN

My friend has a Russian Model 320 5 axis machine equipped with a GE Fanuc 16-m controller and it's turning on but says that all axis need zeroed in. We found the maintenance manual online and he's an experienced operator but hasn't done much maintenance work on the machines.

Axis X, Y, A, C, and U are throwing an error that says they need ZRN

I know I'm not providing much detail but we just just don't have much to go on.

None of the axis will respond to manual input.

Does anybody have any experience as far as getting a machine going that's been recently shipped and has these errors?

Re: Ge Fanuc 16-M Recently shipped. All axis need ZRN

Not sure if this wil help but you can try:

Zero Return parameter setting procedure for Fanuc 16/18 and 16i/18i Controls

Move the axis to where you think zero return should be. If you can't get to the position you would like, hold in "P" and "Cancel" on power up to bypass soft overtravels or you could change the soft overtravel limits to temporarily. WARNING Do not try holding in any other keys except P and Cancel. You could blow out parameters, programs or other data.
    Select "MDI" mode
    Press the function key “OFFSET SETTING”
    Press the soft key “SETTING”.
    Move the cursor to “PARAMETER WRITE” . May need to page up or down to get to the top of the Parameter numbers.
    Turn on PWE (Parameter Write) make it a 1
    Press the function Hard key "SYSTEM"
    Press the softkey "PARAM"
    Type1815 and press "No.Search" . This should bring up parameter 1815.
    Arrow down to whichever axis you want to change X,Y,or Z.
    Change bit 4 (APZ) (make sure you count from the right starting with first space is Zero, Bits are as shown here-76543210). This will delete the current reference zero. Alarm must power down will appear, DO NOT POWER OFF
    Go back to the parameter 1815 and make bit 4 a one
    Power off machine for one minute and power up. New home position will be set.
    Check coordinates of program and see how far you are off, if they are not correct repeat the steps. Also, make sure you handwheel the axes slowly to their overtravels. Make sure nothing binds, no servo alarms occur or destroys any way covers. If you set incorrectly, severe damage can occur. Also, remember if this is an axis that the pallet changer or Tool changer is dependant on alignment then you must check this also, because it is based off of zero return. Do not change 2nd reference position to comp for this. Always change home position.

info taken from here. It helped me when I lost all my parameters and had to start from scratch with my 16mb control

good luck,
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by whiteriver View Post
    Not sure if this wil help but you can try:

Zero Return parameter setting procedure for Fanuc 16/18 and 16i/18i Controls

Move the axis to where you think zero return should be. If you can't get to the position you would like, hold in "P" and "Cancel" on power up to bypass soft overtravels or you could change the soft overtravel limits to temporarily. WARNING Do not try holding in any other keys except P and Cancel. You could blow out parameters, programs or other data.
    Select "MDI" mode
    Press the function key “OFFSET SETTING”
    Press the soft key “SETTING”.
    Move the cursor to “PARAMETER WRITE” . May need to page up or down to get to the top of the Parameter numbers.
    Turn on PWE (Parameter Write) make it a 1
    Press the function Hard key "SYSTEM"
    Press the softkey "PARAM"
    Type1815 and press "No.Search" . This should bring up parameter 1815.
    Arrow down to whichever axis you want to change X,Y,or Z.
    Change bit 4 (APZ) (make sure you count from the right starting with first space is Zero, Bits are as shown here-76543210). This will delete the current reference zero. Alarm must power down will appear, DO NOT POWER OFF
    Go back to the parameter 1815 and make bit 4 a one
    Power off machine for one minute and power up. New home position will be set.
    Check coordinates of program and see how far you are off, if they are not correct repeat the steps. Also, make sure you handwheel the axes slowly to their overtravels. Make sure nothing binds, no servo alarms occur or destroys any way covers. If you set incorrectly, severe damage can occur. Also, remember if this is an axis that the pallet changer or Tool changer is dependant on alignment then you must check this also, because it is based off of zero return. Do not change 2nd reference position to comp for this. Always change home position.

info taken from here. It helped me when I lost all my parameters and had to start from scratch with my 16mb control

good luck,
    Donny
    Thanks for the advice! We'll definitely try that in the next work session. Everything makes sense except for the "Move the axis" part. Do you mean manually moving them by cranking on the lead screws? If so, any idea where to move them to?

Re: Ge Fanuc 16-M Recently shipped. All axis need ZRN

If you hold P and Cancel on power up you should be able to jog with the hand wheel.
    Do you have absolute encoders. (red cap motors) If so make sure you have good batteries for them. Only change them with power on or you will lose your settings.
    Not sure about your machine but most machines have marks at one extent of the axis for where home is. Mine has a diamond and a notch. I have red cap motors. You may have physical limit switches. IF you you will jog to those.

Donny

Quote Originally Posted by whiteriver View Post
    If you hold P and Cancel on power up you should be able to jog with the hand wheel.
    Do you have absolute encoders. (red cap motors) If so make sure you have good batteries for them. Only change them with power on or you will lose your settings.
    Not sure about your machine but most machines have marks at one extent of the axis for where home is. Mine has a diamond and a notch. I have red cap motors. You may have physical limit switches. IF you you will jog to those.

Donny
    It doesn't respond to any manual input. I'll check the motors out next time I'm over there. I know he just put new d batteries in the controller. Thanks again.