584,846 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

AWV708C Lite DSP Controller Installation and Impressions

Hey everyone. I took the plunge a few weeks back and installed an AWC708C Lite controller (also sold as the X7 DSP from light object) in my 60W laser cutter. I made a video detailing the process. Overall, I'm extremely happy with it, and if I had seen a similar video, I would have bought one immediately. There are a couple minor quirks, but overall it's a really nice upgrade from just about any controller I've seen (including an Epilog Helix I used to use). I have only used it a little bit (it's only been about a week since the conversion), but everything works as expected. I'll eventually make an update video once I've lived with it for a bit longer. Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: Typo in title, it's not the AWV, it's the AWC, my bad!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertCowanDIY

Re: AWV708C Lite DSP Controller Installation and Impressions

Great video thanks for sharing

I have also just installed the same controller into a laser cutter but i am struggling with the LaserCAD software

Would you mind describing your work flow and processes you use to get your files cut?

I am not new to CNC, i have a large CNC router that i have had great sucess with for over a year but that has been using Vectric VcarvePro which is awesome software.

I am really struggling with creating a power speed grid for testing different materials.

I have a file in dxf format that has everything i need on 101 layers but when importing into LaserCAD all layers are lost.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Borneoben View Post
    Great video thanks for sharing

I have also just installed the same controller into a laser cutter but i am struggling with the LaserCAD software

Would you mind describing your work flow and processes you use to get your files cut?

I am not new to CNC, i have a large CNC router that i have had great sucess with for over a year but that has been using Vectric VcarvePro which is awesome software.

I am really struggling with creating a power speed grid for testing different materials.

I have a file in dxf format that has everything i need on 101 layers but when importing into LaserCAD all layers are lost.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    Thanks!

My workflow might be different than yours. Most of what I cut or engrave originates from Solidworks. I just export to DXF and press cut (once I put in the power/speed settings).

What program are you using to create the DXF? It sounds like the layer information is getting lost when you export it. Every program will export and import DXF a bit differently. It sounds like LaserCAD is dumping the layer information, or it's not there to begin with. What are the 101 layers for even? That's a LOT of layers...

Thanks for your fast response.

I'm trying to create a power speed grid that cuts a square at 10 different power settings at 10 different speed settings all in one cut file.
    Hence the 101 layers.
    The idea being that with one test for any particular material you can easily find the best power and speed setting.

The plan is to create another file for engraving.

Please see attached the dxf i am referring too.

I use Draftsight for my 2D CAD software, its very very close to AutoCAD

Cheers
    Ben

The files opens for me, but of course it's just all the same color (black). I'm not really sure how you can do this, since the laser will only recognize 20 different layers. You could just modify the file to have 20 different layers, each cutting at a different speed and power.

I just don't know of any laser that would let you actually do this the way you want. CNC is a bit different from lasers. With lasers, you just define the layer (line color) as a specific speed and power. In LaserCAD, you can only do 20.

How is this setup in Draftsight? Do you have 101 discrete colors or something?

Was searching for info on the 708c and came across your post.

Thanks for doing this! As you mentioned that another more in depth video on the 708c controller itself may be on the way... that's something I really look forward to is a video showing the controller operation and flow in greater detail. It should would be helpful to those of us that need a little more visual understanding of this controller before we take the plunge.

Thanks again,

Gordon

nice video, thank you! one question this DSP need dongle or is dongle free...

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI TAG-L23 mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by greenykeep View Post
    Was searching for info on the 708c and came across your post.

Thanks for doing this! As you mentioned that another more in depth video on the 708c controller itself may be on the way... that's something I really look forward to is a video showing the controller operation and flow in greater detail. It should would be helpful to those of us that need a little more visual understanding of this controller before we take the plunge.

Thanks again,

Gordon
    No problem. I'll do an update in a month or so. I want to make a few modifications to the laser (motorized Z table, LED lights, cross-hair laser, etc). I can explain a bit more about how the software and such works in that video as well. So far it's pretty straightforward. like any of these programs, you don't necessarily want to design in them, but for simple things, it works just fine. I just use Inkscape, CorelDraw, or Solidworks and then import the file into LaserCAD. So far that's working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoreno View Post
    nice video, thank you! one question this DSP need dongle or is dongle free...

It DOESN'T have a dongle, which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by cowanrg View Post
    No problem. I'll do an update in a month or so. I want to make a few modifications to the laser (motorized Z table, LED lights, cross-hair laser, etc). I can explain a bit more about how the software and such works in that video as well. So far it's pretty straightforward. like any of these programs, you don't necessarily want to design in them, but for simple things, it works just fine. I just use Inkscape, CorelDraw, or Solidworks and then import the file into LaserCAD. So far that's working just fine.

It DOESN'T have a dongle, which is nice!
    ok thank you, laserCAD work in windows 10 or is only for old windows....

Quote Originally Posted by jmoreno View Post
    ok thank you, laserCAD work in windows 10 or is only for old windows....

It works in Windows 10. I have it running on my Windows 10 computer and on my Windows 8 computer as well. So any windows computer should work.

Hello!

Thanks for great video!

Two weeks ago I got a laser. This laser does not have a computer, so I intend to upgrade it with the AWC708C LITE or the RD RD6464G.
    Anybody knows what works best? I would like to engrave images, some cutting and engraving in the same process.

I wonder if the current power switch is good enough, or should I change it? it is 24V 3A, I attach the picture.

LASER: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lase...7bf1f1bbfhqNHd

AWC708C LITE: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CO2-...a-7394a873ad28

RD RD6464G: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ruid...e-7ad40ba6a0af

I'm from Slovenia, so I apologize for my English, if there is any mistake
    thanks for the reply

Best regards,
    Vid