584,863 active members*
5,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis wiring question.

So I'm finally getting around to converting my rotary table to a 4th axis and have a question as to wiring, or rather disconnecting the wiring when not in use. My 4th axis will be used infrequently and when not in use will be stored and disconnected. I know that disconnecting a stepper from an energized drive will likely blow the drive, but can I simply power down the driver, then unplug the stepper motor wires? Will I also need a switch to interrupt power to the 4th axis stepper driver? How have you guys running 4th axes done it.

Thanks,

John B.

Re: 4th axis wiring question.

I power up my 4th axis drive with the rest of the servos and steppers, requires that the E-stop be cleared and then press the servo enable button. Like you, I disconnect and store the 4th axis when not in use. When connecting or disconnecting, I just hit the E-stop, which in my case cuts input power to the drives. I have not had any problems doing it that way.

Here is how I did mine if you're interested. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/linear...onversion.html

I have my 4th axis power supply on an separate switch and only disconnect the wiring with the power supply off, and have left the wires to the driver from break out board as no main power going in to the driver there will only be switching signals.

Thanks to both of you. I would like to disable power to the driver, but unfortunately it will be powered from the same power supply as the rest of the axes. So, I would have to switch the 48 VDC from the supply to the driver. I can't find a switch that explicitly rated for more than about 30 V. I would only need about 4 amps, so am thinking about just getting a 12VDC/50A rated switch and call it a day. I guess worse case is if that switch failed, power to the drive would get interrupted but no real damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    ....... I would like to disable power to the driver, but unfortunately it will be powered from the same power supply as the rest of the axes. ...........
    Not sure I understand the problem. That is the same way mine is set up. In my case the E-stop cuts power to the input of the servo/stepper 75 V power supply by use of a contactor, but just powering down the machine would have the same effect. My 4th axis drive is always powered up on servo enable. You can power up the drive with the 4th axis disconnected, you just can't connect/disconnect the stepper with the drive powered up.

The 12V 50 amp switch should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Not sure I understand the problem. That is the same way mine is set up. In my case the E-stop cuts power to the input of the servo/stepper 75 V power supply by use of a contactor, but just powering down the machine would have the same effect. My 4th axis drive is always powered up on servo enable. You can power up the drive with the 4th axis disconnected, you just can't connect/disconnect the stepper with the drive powered up.

The 12V 50 amp switch should work fine.
    My reference to having only one power supply was in response to lucky phil's post where he indicated that his 4th axis uses a different power supply.

You keep referring to servos, but I am talking about steppers and don't know if you are really talking about stepper drives or servo drives.

In any case I understand that having the drive powered without a stepper motor attached may not do any harm, but I would feel better with the drive powered down when not actually being used to drive the 4th axis.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    ......You keep referring to servos, but I am talking about steppers and don't know if you are really talking about stepper drives or servo drives....... .
    I have kind of a unique system, my X and Y axis have the original DC servos. I added the Z and rotary axis and am using steppers on those. My digital coolant pump is also driven by a stepper. All powered off of one 75 volt power supply.