584,812 active members*
5,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Arduino > Help configuring GRBL Settings in new Setup

Question Help configuring GRBL Settings in new Setup

Hey all... I just finished rebuilding a 30 year old CNC with new stepper motors and drivers, and I'm using arduino/GRBL as my board with a custom shield to control the stepper controllers.

I've finished most of the work, and all I have left to do is figure out the GRBL Settings.

So, here's where I'm at right now.
    My X and Z are inverted... so, I need to change my Settings to $3=5 Got that.
    However, when it comes to steps, I'm not sure how to do it... I kinda need to back into it. See, there's gears all over the place, and many that I can't count... But I do know this:

These are the defaults right now.
    $100=250.000 (x, step/mm)
    $101=250.000 (y, step/mm)
    $102=250.000 (z, step/mm)

The motors I have are 200 steps/mm
    When I run 1 inch on the CNC, I get 5 inches of movement on X and Y
    When I run 1 inch on the Z Axis I get 3 and 3/16 movement

What's the best way to back into the Steps/mm per setting?

Also, does anyone have some Ideas when it comes to what else to configure on these?

Thanks for all the help and advice.. this is my first build from a scratch controller.

Re: Help configuring GRBL Settings in new Setup

If you command a move of 1 inch and it moves 5 inches then change the steps per mm on that axis to 1/5 of what it is set for currently. So for your x and y you would need 250/5 = 50 steps/mm

Likewise on z you command 1 inch and get 3.1875" movement then 250/3.1875 = 78.431 steps/mm

As for what else to configure that depends on what your CNC has. You can add limit switches, a probe, connect spindle control, etc. What kind of machine do you have? Any pictures?

It's a GERBER 600 8x10 foot CNC from 1986.

I've been adding everything to my facebook photo album on the rebuild.. I have a bunch of pictures of everything so far.

Hopefully this link works. Click here

Quote Originally Posted by dregalia View Post

It's a GERBER 600 8x10 foot CNC from 1986.

I've been adding everything to my facebook photo album on the rebuild.. I have a bunch of pictures of everything so far.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10210229536111338.1073741842.1128072146&typ e=3

Hopefully this link works for you. Should be set to public
    It's a shame that arduino GRBL doesn't have cutter compensation or canned/drilling cycles because that Advantage Router 600 (AR600) is one of the better CNC router machine frames.

If you can live without cutter compensation and adjust your cut-path accordingly in your GCODE you'll be very happy with the results and is one of the more reliable workhorses around. in a 6' x 10' router machine.

The reason I'm using GRBL is because I can generate my GCode with Fusion 360 to TINYG on the post processor, and it compensates for all of that in the CAM Module. I've been using it on my XCarve... So it's basically the same thing. Later I'll be building into it the Spray Coolant. I'll be using a phase invertor to handle the cutter speed, so I can do wood, etc.. the only thing I'll have have to handle by hand is the chip load on the bits. My drilling and everything I handle inside Fusion 360 as well. Here's one of the signs I made on my XCarve, using the same software.. Manual Tool changes, but it's not that bad as long as I return to the same 0/0/0. Attachment 344396

Also, I wanted to point out, I'm using Arduino/GRBL to drive drivers that are 6.5 amp... So, I'm just pulsing to drivers, but I have them on a 24v 20 amp power supply.

I'm also using the computer powersupply (converted over to a bench power supply) to handle fans, etc. Everything then ties into USB on a laptop to manage everything else. Really a fun build when you look at it all. But the regular 'cnc shields' are worthless, so 100% custom shield using what I already know how to do makes it all worth it. The motors were custom made in China with the right shafts to fit into the gears that the motors connect into.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20161106_16_14_13_Pro.jpg  

There are interfaces for GRBL that allow for several canned cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by dregalia View Post
    Also, I wanted to point out, I'm using Arduino/GRBL to drive drivers that are 6.5 amp... So, I'm just pulsing to drivers, but I have them on a 24v 20 amp power supply.

I'm also using the computer powersupply (converted over to a bench power supply) to handle fans, etc. Everything then ties into USB on a laptop to manage everything else. Really a fun build when you look at it all. But the regular 'cnc shields' are worthless, so 100% custom shield using what I already know how to do makes it all worth it. The motors were custom made in China with the right shafts to fit into the gears that the motors connect into.
    I can understand getting stepper motors with the correct shaft DIA to be a direct replacement would require custom motor fabrication, luckily many china vendors are willing to make such modification/alterations on a <10pc basis and glad to see you took the initiative to check into it.

Yes as an alternative compensation for cut paths in the gcode is a work-around but adding the compensation to GRBL makes more sense.

Overall, it's a good and fairly rigid platform to work from (AR600) so brining it back to life was the correct choice and I'm glad you made the effort rather than squander a valuable asset, nothing worse than seeing a quality constructed frame discarded like yesterdays trash.

I've recently obtained a small 4-axis GRBL based 3.5in LCD / STM32F1 controller that supports cutter compensation and canned/drilling cycles which makes transporting code from one machine to another less of an aggravation so bringing code home from work or code from home to work requires no modification.

There is another project on the ZONE that you might wish to consider as an upgrade path and 109jb might make the same recommendation since it's all about performance and improvements.

Since you've got a functioning router, increasing speed without missing steps in your case will become a bolt-on upgrade, you could use the router now to make motor bodies for a BLDC servo motor conversion (or buy motors if you have a reasonably priced source) and if you do it over time, when you have finally amassed all the parts it will be a quick transition to better performance with increased tolerance/precision reliability.

Thanks. I wanted to point out that my friend had gotten it for a great price, but running 3 phase 220 into his space was going to cost him waaaaay too much money. I told him I could rebuild it with up to date stuff, better support for current software and we can convert it to any other interface after this for less than 100 bucks with the right board. But the full conversion is going to be less than $1000. He didn't know what else to do with it..he had no idea it would take 3 phase 220 to work when he got it. I saw it and realized the immediate potential of it.. which is why I volunteered for the project.

I can't wait to see what else people have posted for improvements and enhancements. This thing is built for speed and torque.. I may have to put another power supply on one of the axis, but it will be worth it. I can run the smaller one off of the computer power supply, since it only uses 3 amps.

Is there anyone who knows which settings in GRBL 0.9j Would speed up the traveling and cut speeds on an Arduino based system

Quote Originally Posted by nevillewilliams View Post
    Is there anyone who knows which settings in GRBL 0.9j Would speed up the traveling and cut speeds on an Arduino based system
    All the configuration information is in the Grbl Wiki

https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki/Configuring-Grbl-v0.9