585,712 active members*
4,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Terrible news... I think

I am afraid I am in a very deep hole now, I can´t see any light nowhere.

I will try as much as possible to make the big story into a short one.

This 18M controlled vertical mill was showing some intermittent error, every now and then the operator will find the machine with all parameters changed out from the day before. Being small operations place will guarantee that no one was changing these parameters manually. So we suspected there was a problem with the battery not being able to keep the system memory well alive during the non operating hours.

So we decided to replace the battery, but apparently something went wrong and now we get nothing but a black screen, nothing shows up on the screen. and the control main unit is showing this LED error. see attached picture. I looked into the books and I couldn´t find the same exact LED combination for error/alarm description. I truly have no idea where to go from here. I know is not a CRT problem. I am positive that the screen is working, but it appears that I have lost the operative part of the system. How could I recover from this-?

I will appreciate any help thanks!
    peloflex

Re: Terrible news... I think

Did you replace the battery with the machine on? You have to do that. Did you try and go back to the old battery? Maybe wrong voltage causing issue.
    Did you back up all your settings with a PCMCIA SRAM card? IF so have you tried to restore them with it?

Insert the supplied SRAM PC card into the main CPU.
    Power ON the control holding down the right-most soft key and the 7th soft key to its left counting the right-most key as 1. It is usually the other Chapter key (except with color monitors) under the monitor. The SYSTEM MONITOR SERVICE MENU screen should appear.

This will let you know if the screen is working. And might give you hints to what is going on. And if you backed everything up its a simple place to restore everything.

Donny

Hello Donny,

I did keep the machine powered ON during battery replacement. I measure the two batteries, the original read 3.0 volts and the new (used 2 DD tied together) read 3.34v. I thought this part was fine. I was not able to get a back up settings since we are located in Peru and is not that easy to get parts like PCMCIA cards or even the batteries. So, no, I do not have any back up.

Something I must add, this symptom with the screen not coming ON at all was showing prior to the battery replacement, but I will go away by itself after trying two or three times the power up procedure, this time we tried enough times but the monitor will not come ON.
    flex

Sounds like the CRT is failing. I would suggest ordering in a PCMCIA card. Well worth the money.
    You top status lights say that the CPU is not running yet. You could have a bad memory card. You might try powering down then remove and reinstall the cards on the main board one at a time. Might have some corrosion on a pin. Doubtful but it costs nothing to try.
    Try the boot up routine I mentioned before even if you don't have a pc card. It will let you know if the CRT works and may shed light on what is wrong. See page 488 of the maintenance manual.
    If the CRT is bad a local TV repair man might be able to fix it.

Donny

The PCMCIA card is not used if the control is a 16/18A. What is the part# on the CPU unit?

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    The PCMCIA card is not used if the control is a 16/18A. What is the part# on the CPU unit?
    Hello,
    I apologize for taking this long in coming back with the CPU# but I did not have the machine near me, here it is.

A16B-3200-0210/02B

Hoping you can guide me through. Thank you!

peloflex

Thank you. That is a 18C control. What is the software version? That is displayed on the SYSTEM CONFIG screen; if you can send me photos of all the pages (page down through them) on that screen, it can help.