584,879 active members*
5,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Should I get Flashcut?

I'm about to CNC a "CNC ready" bench mill. I'm seriously considering getting the Flashcut 3 axis Servo kit. I've come up with a list of pro's and cons and would greatly appreciate comments.

Pros for the Flashcut CNC Servo

1) USB interface rather than a parallel port. The USB interface may be much more reliable and available.

2) Separate function generator so Windows multitasking may not be a problem.

3) Servo motors that may have advantages over steppers.

4) Complete kit available so there should be no compatability issues

Cons

1) Expensive (but not out of budget)

2) Forced to use Flashcut software (this might not be a disadvantage if it is reliable and supported)

I've been running FlashCut for 5+ years. I started with version 1.2 on Windows 98 running a ShopTask mill/lathe. I'm now running version 2.1.4 on XP. It controls a plasma table, ShopTask mill, and currently my Bridgeport Series 1 conversion. Solid as a rock. I only have experience with their steppers though.

Their knee mill conversion uses Elrod Machine components. Which are supposed to be one of the best conversions.

My two cents.

Nicholas

I ordered Flashcut!

I ordered a Flashcut system yesterday.

Did you order the USB or serial controller (Signal Generator)?

I have been running the FlashCut system for over 4 years without any problems. It is a stepper system with serial connection running a Sherline 5400 mill. Had no problems and is very staight forward.
    I dont understand your problem with running the Flashcut software. no matter what system you choose you are at the mercy of the software and how well it is interfaced with the system as a whole. It has weak editing tools but that is not what the main function of the program is for.

mc_n_g

I ordered the Flashcut sytem with the USB interface. I'm glad that the Flashcut software works so well for others and hope to have the same experience.

If i bought a flashcut machine it wouldn't be for the tech support. Before you jump in deep and buy a new servo unit, do a search I have a flashcut servo system listed in the classifieds section that I am selling.

jeff

I have recently purchased the Flashcut 4400 lathe package. I have had very good luck with the customer support. They have always gotten back to me within a few hours after email, once on a sunday.

Just wanted to report that I have had absolutely no problems with the Flashcut software. I upgraded to version 3 just to stay up to date. That required a firmware modification when tech support made quite easy. BTW Flashcut did not charge me for the software or firmware upgrade. I'm pleased!

Good for you. I hope it all continues to run well for you. I have had no problems with it at all. Still running 2.x due to older systems and chipsets.

Hi there
    I was wondering how happy you are with your 4400 Lathe? What are the typical size components that you are able to machine? How is the accuracy?

I am looking at purchasing this lathe, but being in South Africa, I need to be sure of its ability.

Thanks
    Martin

Hi Martin,
    I make musical instrument fittings, accuracy and repeatability are a must.
    I can keep my parts within .0015 plus or minus most of the time. That was after I bit the bullet and purchased the Sherline quick change tool, the less expensive other quick change tool I bought first would never re-seat with any accuracy. I am in a electrically noisy building with other motors on the same circuit, so a line conditioner was required.
    I am able to make 50 parts at a time and keep them within plus or minus .0015" most of the time.

Ron and Nick at Flashcut are super helpful, they really went out of there way to help when I had questions or issues to work through. I always got an email back in 24hrs. I am a guitar builder and knew nothing about CNC before the purchase.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input. What Cad/Cam software are you using, do you have any specific recommendations?

Do you have any idea what the lathe costs at the moment?

Thanks
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martinmol View Post
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input. What Cad/Cam software are you using, do you have any specific recommendations?

Do you have any idea what the lathe costs at the moment?

Thanks
    Martin
    I use Rhino CAD which I like very much and Visualturn which I like also, but for me is a little less intuitive. That being said Mecsoft's/Visualturn customer support has been top notch and is free, I am not sure for how long, but they still answer my emails and look at my files.

I am not sure about the price of the lathe alone other than list price and Ebay "buy it now prices". I purchased my whole outfit through Flashcut at once, software, motor box, Lathe etc....

I recently got a quote from Flashcut for a 4400 lathe system. It's within budget, but when I downloaded the software manual there is very little that seems directed at the lathe. I was also told that the current software version doesn't support the canned cycles (yet). I want to get threading, so the canned theading cycle G76 would be a necessity.

Any comments from existing users would be appreciated.