584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 Keyboard Jog Problem (blue screenset)

I use the keyboard to jog the table. Usually when I am in step mode and finding an edge. I will accidentally hit a couple keys around the arrow keys or page up/down, and the table will take off.

I do not recall if the Home key performs homing, but I do not think that is the key because Z does not move, usually just one axis. The space bar does not stop the machine from whatever it's doing.

Is it possible to disable all of these automated routines via software, or do I need to break keys on my keyboard to stop this from happening again? Is it possibly a bug in this screen set? I originally loaded it when I thought I would use a probe, but I have not figured out how to use a probe effectively since I have very few tool holders and I have to reset then manually anyway (plus this problem wrecked my probe).

Secondary, is there a software only solution that I could replace Mach3 (I just read a post from a member here that said Mach3 is far behind any of it's current competition and has not been supported in about 5 years)? I am using parallel to a C10 BoB and Gecko drives, which in itself has been working fine for me. I did not think Mach had any reasonable competition (maybe LinuxCNC).

Thanks

Re: Mach3 Keyboard Jog Problem (blue screenset)

The only software only (parallel port) alternative to Mach3 is LinuxCNC.

Are you using the SHIFT key when jogging? I believe that there's a Mach3 bug that can cause a runaway when using the SHIFT key. Something to do with the order the keys are released, I think.

The screenset will have nothing to do with your problem, as screens have no effect on Mach3 operation.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Mach3 Keyboard Jog Problem (blue screenset)

Thanks Gerry.

I found one reported bug with shift and arrow key. That appears to affect the numeric keypad and I can reproduce that reliably. I use the dedicated arrows and not the shift key. I have not been able to reproduce the problem with the dedicated arrows myself, so I cannot rust that Mach will not just randomly crash. Maybe I should try again to get my MPG to work, or learn a better way to find edges.